Northeast Forum Serving DE, MD, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV.

TPMS PROGRAMMING 08 Crossfire Ltd Cpe

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TPMS PROGRAMMING 08 Crossfire Ltd Cpe

Installed Standard Motor Products TPM22A senors when replaced tires recently. Info on the sensor follows:
1) Connector Type Bolt on
2) Frequency 433 Mhz
3) Mounting location Wheel
4) Mounting Method Clamp In
5) Sensor Net Torque (lbs) 44

Sensors where programmed to vehicle and read by reader but....light still won't go out.

What are the suggestions from the experts or is it electrical tape?

Old 08-15-2023, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Re: TPMS PROGRAMMING 08 Crossfire Ltd Cpe

Originally Posted by Ms Kitty NJ
Installed Standard Motor Products TPM22A senors when replaced tires recently. Info on the sensor follows:
1) Connector Type Bolt on
2) Frequency 433 Mhz
3) Mounting location Wheel
4) Mounting Method Clamp In
5) Sensor Net Torque (lbs) 44

Sensors where programmed to vehicle and read by reader but....light still won't go out.

What are the suggestions from the experts or is it electrical tape?
Were they programmed by a DRB 3 or DRB 3 emulator?

Old 08-15-2023, 02:46 PM

Hi Roman,

Good question will have to speak with tech who did the programming. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Installed Standard Motor Products TPM22A senors
I am certain that those are not compatible with the TPMS in the Crossfire. Where did they get they idea to use those?

Clint Spevak, Chrysler Crossfire owner and retired engineer (who worked on the safety systems in the Crossfire) wrote the attached document.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TPMS by Clint.pdf (56.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-15-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:42 PM

According to Rock Auto they are supposed to be compatible, they are incorrect?

Old 08-15-2023, 06:12 PM
Administrator

According to Rock Auto they are supposed to be compatible, they are incorrect?
I STRONGLY think they are incompatible. I shall ask Clint. (ZH SRT6 who already answered below. Thanks, Clint. )

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-15-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi @Ms Kitty NJ and @pizzaguy !

There are lots of TPMS sensors which are "compatible" with the Crossfire system, which was shared with a bunch of other Chrysler systems back in the day (and even until about 2008 for the Viper).

So I can believe that whatever sensors you got are "compatible" except that doesn't by itself make the light go out. As I tried to explain in the little write-up which pizzaguy cited the sensor characteristics are just a piece of the puzzle. The big issue almost certainly going on for you is that the TPMS in the Crossfire, mainly contained in the garage door opener module above the rearview mirror, is looking for a particular set of four wheel sensor IDs, transmitted as part of the radio signals from each sensor with the pressure readings.

What almost certainly happened is that the tech who programmed the new sensors failed to "Clone" the old sensor IDs into the new sensors. So the car system cannot recognize the pressure signals.

Was your TPMS working before you got the new tires and sensors? Do you (or the shop) still have the old sensors?

If the old sensor IDs cannot be cloned into the new sensors then the car has to be put into TPMS Relearn mode to learn the IDs of the new sensors. And very few (as, no) tire shops have the right computer to put a Crossfire into TPMS Relearn mode. Only Chrysler dealerships (or Crossfire nuts like me) have the tool to make that happen.

Verstehst du? <<--- Moderator note: What a smartass.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-15-2023 at 09:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZH SRT6:
M60A3Driver (08-16-2023), pizzaguy (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 09:26 PM
Administrator

I dont know it all, but I generally know who to ask...........................

Old 08-16-2023, 01:02 PM

Hi again @Ms Kitty NJ -

Just followed your clue to the TPMS sensors you had installed, and came back to let you know that you will need to get your Crossfire to somewhere which can put it into the Relearn procedure. According to the RockAuto description these sensors were "programmed" to work with the Chrysler TPMS - but the previously known sensor IDs were not "cloned" into them. So they each have some randomly assigned ID, which the system in the car does not know.

People at the tire shop SHOULD have known (or looked up) what was necessary to get the TPMS synched. But they assumed that because the car was a Chrysler that the car would just learn the IDs during the first few minutes of driving. Just not applicable to Crossfire.

Description at RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...634016&jsn=457

Old 08-16-2023, 02:38 PM

This wasnt done at a tire shop but at an MB dealership I work for. The tech has a scanner for all makes and models. Will give him your info and see what happens.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-16-2023, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info will get this my tech and see what we can do. He may still have the old sensors or info in his scanner.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:01 PM

So, which TPM sensors can be used to avoid the issue I have now? I did do the unthinkable and went to a Chrysler dealership recommended to have
a Crossfire tech. Cost some $$ but gave me about same info I get here. The TPMS was working but the sensors where at end of life and was told
needed to be replaced. Dealer wanted $125.00 per sensor so.......here I am with new sensors and the light still on. Again thank you to all of the experts here
for entertaining things that you have found and I am sure almost everyone who owns these babies has asked at one time or another through their period
of ownership. Sure miss my 07 Crossfire. It was one in a million, nary an idiot light ever came on except for a bulb out or a real tire going flat incidence.
My 08 is certainly turning into a "Prima Donna" so to speak!

Old 08-16-2023, 04:11 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

In post # 10 you went to a MB Dealership and in Post # 12 you went to a Chrysler Dealership. Did you go to both? Maybe you should go to a tire shop that knows tires and TPM Sensors?

Old 08-16-2023, 06:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you gone back to who did the work. They may still have your sensors in a recycle bin. Even if they cannot clone them a good tire shop can.
If the sensors were not dead they can be cloned easily. If batteries were dead then they have to be programmed which will require the DRB3.
I would try to find a good tire shop. They deal with sensors and tires all day long. When you go to a dealer for tires you will get the most inexperienced person in the shop.

Old 08-17-2023, 03:05 PM

Went to dealer first last year re: turing off airbag light & TPMS light. Told air bag module was bad-light for TPMS light was off but
told it would be back on as sensosr battteries were at end of life. Haven't found replacment module for ORC and replaced TPMS sensors
to light to go off but......I work for MB and the techs there work on my car being MB in disguise. Most times MB parts are a fit and the tech
who does the work has his own shop off site and also various computer scanners/readers. Giving him the info re the TPMS issue.

Which sensors can I purchase that will easily program to vehicle?

As always a HUGE THANK YOU to you and all your intimate knowledge of our Xfires!

Old 08-22-2023, 02:02 PM

Hi again @Ms Kitty NJ !

Just stopping back to check on your TPMS issue. That little document provided earlier by @pizzaguy tries to explain the "sensor versus vehicle" issue for Crossfire TPMS. Any questions or comments on how to improve that paper will be willingly adopted, I haven't checked part numbers since writing it several years ago and happy to improve the story.

But the main concepts still hold. The easy path, particularly if sensor batteries are still strong enough to broadcast IDs, is to clone new sensors to use the earlier IDs. Then easy-peasy, new sensors installed, car system is happy to see IDs it already knows, system works. The only slightly tricky part (for NA and Limited Crossfire) is getting the front axle sensor IDs on the front wheels, and the rear axle sensor IDs on the rear axle, since the recommended (driver door label) pressures differ a bit. (SRT-6 pressures are all 36 psi, so not an issue.)

If that cloning doesn't happen a quest to find the right computer to put a Crossfire TPMS into "sensor relearn" mode is necessary. I have yet to hear of a tire shop with this capability. DaimlerChrysler-Mopar-Controller Technologies (who made the DRB III) have been able to keep the software to enable Crossfire TPMS Relearn proprietary, only FCA dealerships and Controller Technologies have the right computers/software. And a lot of Chrysler dealership service people don't even know that their current diagnostic system includes an Enhanced DRB III Emulator to do this job, for years their system did NOT have that option. The relearn process takes all of 5 minutes once plugging the car in, no lift or other tools required, but dealerships like to charge an hour "diagnostic time."

The sensors you bought from Rock Auto might be cloneable without dismounting the tires, hard to know, but they could be a version made by Schrader which many tire shops can program and clone if the old sensor IDs are known. Else you will need to find the DRB III type tool to get into Relearn mode.

(Some owners around North America do have a "cloned" or jailbroken version of the DRB III Enhanced Emulator running on a PC, and there is an extensive thread on that topic here on CrossfireForum: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-emulator.html )

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 03:05 PM

I recall the tech saying he had cloned the id's but one of the sensors wouldn't clone so I purchased another sensor and that was cloned. Haven't had a chance to sit
down and discuss the situation with my tech. Hope to get to it this week. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2023, 08:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts

I recall the tech saying he had cloned the id's but one of the sensors wouldn't clone so I purchased another sensor and that was cloned. Haven't had a chance to sit
down and discuss the situation with my tech. Hope to get to it this week. Thanks!
Did you get it fixed?

Old 09-25-2023, 05:27 PM

No , electrical tape works wonder!

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 01:26 AM
Forum Regular
Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts