Northwest Forum Serving AK, ID, OR, WA.

I need a Crossfire Mechanic or Shop

Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a Crossfire Mechanic or Shop

Does anyone know a shop or good mechanic around Portland, Oregon or Vancouver, WA. My 2005 red Crossfire only has 62K miles on it but now all of the sudden after having the car at the local dealership **** Hannah the car came back to me with another dash light on; the coolant indicator light. We took the car back to them after already having the ignition switch and modulator replaced ($1130). Whew..........now this and they wanted another $80 diagnostic fee where both parts they recommended did not work and did not turn the light off or the fan on that's needed to keep the car from overheating !!

Please, I need to find a good shop or mechanic !!!

Thank You !!

Please HELP !!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: I need a Crossfire Mechanic or Shop

Here's where the M/B boys take their cars. Very highly recommended and they only work on Mercedes.

MBI Motors Inc
1309 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 231-0444‎

Sig and the boys always do a professional job, are reasonably priced and have the capability and common sense to prioritize repairs should your car be your only driver or if you have an emergency repair. I've always ended up paying slightly less than the original quote. They don't upsell you and ONLY work on Mercedes-Benz cars. BBB rating of A+
Also Lakeside Mercedes gets high marks from the forum...

http://www.lakesidemercedesrepair.com/

Last edited by syfi; 10-08-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some great advise right there. I have heard great things about MBI form some friends on the Ferrari Board. That also means they might not be the most cost efficient. Any good independent Benz mechanic, can and will fix your car easily. Never again take your car to a Chrysler stealership, they have no idea what to do with this car.

Your ignition problem would have cost you 90 min to two hours to fix yourself ( or your handy SO or child) before the lockout, and I have no idea what this " modulator " you speak of is.

If I were closer I would offer to lend a hand, as your issues do not seem very complicated. Could be a water pump, or just a fuse. Here is my Number 1 question for you.

Are you still using the original white Varta battery?

I will keep an eye out for your responses.

Herman.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Hi Herman,

Excellent advise !! Thanks so much. My husband will call MBI Motors tomorrow morning.

We are on battery number 3 now. The first two were drained pretty much by the ignition switch problem. Not sure why my husband referred to the modulator. It was the ignition switch housing and cylinder and they also replaced the ignition lock. It acted up and got worth when the weather became hotter this summer. Only then I had problem turning the key in the ignition. It was ok during the winter but still stuck a little. It's nice and smooth now; just the other problem now ever since we got the car back from the Chrysler dealership......ugh.

The only reason we decided to take the car to a professional dealer ship is because my hubby heard we needed a computer to turn off the lights and tell the computer all is ok now and the new part was installed. Oh well.............

I hope that MBI can help me get my baby back !!

Thanks again !! Love this forum and the 2005 owners manual

Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 PM

Thank you too syfi !!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurogirl
Thank you too syfi !!
You are always welcome. Just to let you know, you will probably experience the same problems with the new ignition since its the same as the one that went south. Just a bad design altogether. When it starts to get hard to turn, search the forum for the "Sticky Key Fix" and repair it yourself. Or just print out the steps and let MBI take care of it. You'll never have the problem again.

If you ever get another dash warning light, just stop by an Advance Auto parts store or Autozone and ask them to pull the code causing the warning. They should do it for free. Then search on the forum or post the question with the code and 9 times out of 10 we'll have the answer for you, or at least point you in the right direction as far as fixing the problem.

And like Herman said, NEVER take your baby to the dealerships. Chrysler will rape your wallet. They are clueless as far as repairing our cars and are way overcharging for any work just to pay back Obama for the bailout. The Hood Strut that holds your hood open will cost over $300 from Chrysler but can be found online for under $50 for the exact same mfg part. Same deal with the steering stabilizer. Chrysler - $350, Online - $27.95. You'll find any answer to any problem here on the forum because we've all been there and found that these cars are fairly easy to maintain on our own terms.

And here is a good thread that may explain the radiator problem and fix...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-fan-fuse.html

UPDATE: The fan replacement was a recall, and therefore should still be valid even without warranty. It was notification E19 for CDD2E190 fan

Check this thread also: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...es-random.html

Last edited by syfi; 10-10-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since we didn't hear back, I assume that you got er fixed up. It's always nice to hear how things turned out, were the mechanics good and reasonable. Any other glitches that they discovered? Etc..

I went back and reread this thread this morning and noticed that we didn't mention your ground cable. If your eating up Battries and Alternators or Starters, then you have a short somewhere, and these Ground Cables seem to be become suspect as these cars age.