Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Dodge Demon

Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dodge Demon

Originally Posted by Blade
How can anyone not say that is a sharp looking car.

Mind boggling.
Umm, easy. Look at it.

I don't like it but hey, to each their own.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote "other engines could fit into the car, and that the chassis is being engineered to handle significantly more power." More power!!! I could care less about the styling as long as it moves!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That could be a bad *** little car, if only they got rid of the hideous grill. I t would look better with a Chrysler front end, I never found dodge's to look interesting.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
RPM

MotorTrend.com has more pics of this thing (back, side, interior, etc.). Thought some of you might want to check it out:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._demon_concept

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Eh, I'm not that impressed by the interior, what chassis is this car based on? And don't tell me its an slk350 chassis, lol. What engine is planned for it?

It's still tough to beat the crossfire.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:09 PM

Looks like a 350z wearing a catcher's mask.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM

Looking at the level of detail and finish from the pictures, it looks production ready.

With the Challenger launching as an '08 model, I agree it would make a better Chrysler (with a new nose of course).

Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 PM
RPM

Thought I would update this thread with some new information:

Got the new Motor Trend in this week (along with Car and Driver, but that's besides the point).
There is an article about the Demon in it. I thought many of you might want to see this sentence:
"For the concept, at least, the Demon uses many Chrysler Crossfire (aka 1998 Mercedes SLK) bits, like the short/long-arm front suspension."
- Todd Lassa, Motor Trend, April 2007 Issue

Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Forum Regular

Can you believe those two cup holders? Everytime you go to shift, you'd be putting your elbow into them. They should have just made a small covered storage area there instead and found a new spot for the drinks.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM

still worlds better than our cupholder (aka cup crusher).

Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Forum Regular

I like it, I see alot of Z4 in it.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gashwill
Hey I'm all for an affordable Chrysler/Dodge sports car but what platform they can use to make it happen? The Demon concept is based on a modified SLK chassis much like our Crossfire is. (the 94.5 inch wheel base gave that away even before current issue car magazines revealed as much in mini road tests). But NO WAY is that going to be available for a use now that the Bemz-Chrysler "divorce" is a reality. The Price would be too high !
And there are no other small rear drive platforms in Chrysler's inventory. This talk of using some yet to be developed Chinese/Cherry platform is totally "pie in the sky". First off, it will be years before such a platform is ready, second it will be FRONT WHEEL DRIVE with a transverse mounted engine. Totally unsuited for a sports car !

I'd love to see them have a low priced sports car sitting in their showrooms but I'm just not sure how it could happen now that the SLK platform is gone...

Slim

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular

SLK or not...my point is, what small rear wheel drive platform does a non-Benz owned Chrysler have access to to base the production Demon on ? I can't think of any. Even if they had further access to M-Benz/Karmann resources, there is NO WAY Chrysler could bring the Demon to market for less than $30K much less $20K !

Slim

Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AMGLover
Sigh...last time I checked the world isn't flat and the crossfire is NOT based on the SLK chassis... Did you not read the "never call it an SLK" post?
I must of misinterpreted that article, but from what I understood, it is based on the SLK and a couple other mercedes parts from other cars, the only thing different is the body and some interior which makes up 50% Chrysler, while the rest is a mixture of Mercedes SLK and CLK etc...etc. So I guess it's one of those Johnny Cash built cars.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:08 PM

From today's Motor Authority blog:
Chrysler Design-Chief Talks up Production Demon Roadster
Friday 17 August 2007

With Cerberus Capital Management in charge of Chrysler, the immediate goal for execs is to implement a massive turnaround plan which will see thousands of jobs lost and extensive cost cutting in most departments. Last month, plans for the flagship Imperial sedan were thrown out and any new model will be scrutinized more so than usual before getting the green light.

One of these new models is a production version of the Dodge Demon concept that was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this year. According to Chrysler’s Design Chief Trevor Creed, who spoke recently with Wards Auto, the new Demon is at the top of his agenda and that conditions for this car getting the go-ahead is ideal.

The concept’s efficient 2.4L four-cylinder engine is in line with a general trend towards smaller engines by consumers, while its “edgy” styling will keep it looking fresh for the foreseeable future, Creed boasted. Aimed at the same “affordable performance” section of the market as Mazda’s popular MX-5/Miata, the new Demon would be priced around the $15,000 mark.

Please don't hold your breath for this one...

P.S. There's also a similar story on Jalopnik.

Last edited by maxxm; 08-17-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 PM

The Demon is a NICE car. Just the thing to reinvigorate Chrysler. Only problem is that it does not have a platform to share or get parts other than switches and the drivetrain (with mods to change from FWD to RWD) The reason GM has been able to keep costs down on the Solstice/Sky is that those cars use a lot of existing parts.

I hope Chrysler can pull it off. The current halo car (300C) shine is getting a little dull (falling sales shows that). What better way than deliver a super macho, Hemi, tire burning, muscle car like the new Challenger, a true world class limited production sports car like the Viper and then the Demon.

I think this car would be an instant success, especially if Chrysler embraces the aftermarket and encourages inexpensive performance and appearance add-ons.

Please, Chrysler, if you do bring this little beastie to us, set realistic sales projections. This is a car that will sell 15-20K units per year in the US. Keep production controlled. Look at the success of the new Mini. Don't overproduce then under market the car like was done with the Crossfire.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by AMGLover
Sigh...the crossfire is NOT based on the SLK chassis... Did you not read the "never call it an SLK" post?
I read it, and I came to a different conclusion. I still feel like it's an SLK in Jeeps clothing <> pun intended.

The Mercedes mechanics that are familiar with an SLK, could find their way around this car much better than any DCX mechanic, nuff said IMO.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

I love the Demon... Would buy one in a heartbeat if they can hit the price target and give it some performance and even better, really good handling. Dodge has been overlooking the Miata-competitor market for too long.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular

Hmmm...

Maybe this is a go after all ?

About three weeks ago the most trustworthy Salesman I know at the local dealer just returned from a meeting and confirmed the Demon as "the Crossfire replacement..." He also confirmed Chrysler and M-Benz have several on-going development projects/vehicles. (remember M-Benz still gets 20% off the top if Chrysler turns a profit so it is in their interest to see them succeed...)

Now we get news that Karmann may indeed restart the Crossfire production line this fall. Afterwards it would be fairly easy for Karmann to modify the same line to produce the Demon on a variant of the Crossfire platform. Which is exactly what the current Demon prototype is; a modified, reskinned Crossfire ! Now if Cerberus/Karmann/Benz can use less expensive Dodge engines and other parts perhaps the price can be held to 20-25K after all...

Also note; the SRT4 Caliber has just been announced. 285 horsepower should be enough to challenge the class dominating Solstice GTP !

So, if the Karmann line runs off 2008 model year Crossfires fall '07 thru late summer '08 then 2009 model year Demons may start production Fall '08 !

That's my prediction for now !

Cincinnati

Quick Reply: Dodge Demon