Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Porsche Boxster S

Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster S

Opinions on this one? I am on the fence between the SRT-6 and the Boxster S... obviously the performance is far greater with the SRT, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way the Porsches look. I also love the fact that it is a true drivers car, with the 6-speed. Speed isn't terrible in the S by any means... several sources have said it will run a 13.7 and a 5.6 second 0-60... Confirmations?

I'm truly seeking some input on the whole package. I am completely new to the roadster/sport coupe scene... what are Maintenance costs like on a Boxster S? I know the Carreras and such are EXPENSIVE, but then again a $120 oil change o the SRT doesn't sound like fun either. Are there any huge problems that the 986 Boxsters experienced?

I'm specifically looking at a 2003 Boxster S... $28,000 and it is LOADED.

Versus $27,000 for an SRT... Gah this is a tough choice.

Mainly because of the nameplate. College chick asks "What do you drive?"

I say, "A Chrysler".

People in general are ignorant to what a Crossfire truly is (SLK). But I think I would get tired of having to explain that to everyone, ya know?

Whereas on the flip side, the ask what you drive and you say "Porsche".

People immediately know what you're working with...

Opinions guys?

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Porsche Boxster S

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Opinions on this one? I am on the fence between the SRT-6 and the Boxster S... obviously the performance is far greater with the SRT, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way the Porsches look. I also love the fact that it is a true driver's car, with the 6-speed. Speed isn't terrible in the S by any means... several sources have said it will run a 13.7 and a 5.6 second 0-60... Confirmations?

I'm truly seeking some input on the whole package. I am completely new to the roadster/sport coupe scene... what are Maintenance costs like on a Boxster S? I know the Carreras and such are EXPENSIVE, but then again a $120 oil change o the SRT doesn't sound like fun either. Are there any huge problems that the 986 Boxsters experienced?

I'm specifically looking at a 2003 Boxster S... $28,000 and it is LOADED.

Versus $27,000 for an SRT... Gah this is a tough choice.

Mainly because of the nameplate. College chick asks "What do you drive?"

I say, "A Chrysler".

People in general are ignorant to what a Crossfire truly is (SLK). But I think I would get tired of having to explain that to everyone, ya know?

Whereas on the flip side, the ask what you drive and you say "Porsche".

People immediately know what you're working with...

Opinions guys?

Thanks in advance...
Porsche Boxster S's are nice. I considered one myself. There are some issues with them though. No engine access except from underneath and service costs.
My neighbor has a 911 Carrera and the maintenance costs on it are horrible.

I think the Sopranos show said the Boxster is 'a Porsche in panties.'
Top Gear's Hammond said 'there's only one reason you buy a Boxster, 'cause you can't afford a 911.'

I don't know man, my wife even said that the Boxsters look 'girly' and looked the same from the front as they do the rear.

Now the Cayman S, that's a little different story.

It's hard to beat the SRT6 in my book.

Last edited by RPM; 02-19-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JHM2K, If you truly LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the Boxter, then by all means, go for it. Because you will probably never be satisfied with how the Crossfire looks, since it's so different from the Porsche. Personally, the Boxter leaves me cold, where the Cayman is one of the best Porsche designs ever as far as I'm concerned.
Granted, alot of people have been put off by the SRT6 not offering a 6spd. manual, but the automatic is a viable alternative since you can shift it yourself. Besides, with the power you would have on tap with the SRT6, I think most anybody would get accustomed to it.
If you're concerned about how confusing it will be for the "college" girls to figure out what it is, don't be. As soon as they see it, they'll love it. I have yet to meet a girl who didn't like it. It's amazing how even "elderly" woman (who wouldn't look twice at most cars) just stare at the Crossfire when ever I'm at a gas station.
As for cost of maintenance, even though the SRT6 isn't going to be cheap, there's no way it will be as high as any Porsche. When you consider for the cost of a "used" Boxter, you can buy a "brand new" SRT6, it's really the best bargain out there.
But if the most important thing to you is the "status" of saying that you own a Porsche, then that's the car you should buy. Because you probably will not be happy until you own one.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM

There is one thing I want to establish; I don't want to come across to you guys as being THAT shallow, where "nameplate only" is my motivating force. I truly have loved Porsches for a long time, not simply because I want to impress a chick. One of my best friends drives a '93 Civic that's ragged out and he gets action every other day, LOL.

But I do Like the darn thing. Also, it's true that you buy a Boxster because you can't afford a 911. The same also holds true for us Crossfire owners though... I'm sure there are those amongst us who would LOVE the new SLK 350.

Does anyone know specific costs of service points/checkups?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
RPM

Also, it's true that you buy a Boxster because you can't afford a 911. The same also holds true for us Crossfire owners though... I'm sure there are those amongst us who would LOVE the new SLK 350.
Not I. The new SLK does absolutely nothing for me.

In fact, I think it looks like a monkey:

Monkey:
http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/116.htm

SLK350:

http://www.rockblocker.com/store/36736.htm

Last edited by RPM; 02-19-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:46 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure there are those amongst us who would LOVE the new SLK 350.
In some cases it's not a matter of affording the SLK350, but with the price of a crossfire, where do you get a better value.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM

I agree with fireamx...go for the Porsche...that is really what you want and you are better off then "settling" for something you are unsure about like the SRT6.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a Boxter and it was because I like it and I would choose the looks of the Boxter over a 911 every time, thats just my taste. I see quite a few Boxters around and notice them all but then I went to look at the Crossfire well guess what I bought..... Pick the one you like the most and don't look back, both are great rides. As a note though I know a guy with a Boxter and the maintenance cost might frighten you.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

IMO they SRT6 is much much better value for money. To me thats what mattered the most. It doesn't look to shabby either,

When others ask me what I drive, I say "Crossfire" instead of simply saying Chrysler.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Emthusiast
When others ask me what I drive, I say "Crossfire" instead of simply saying Chrysler.
That sounds like a nice "out clause"....

LOL

Does anyone know what I could look to spend (annually) on a Boxster? Oil changes, etc...

I read somewhere that a feaking cabin light was $700... SURELY NOT.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM

I would go with the Porsche.

The SRT-6 is faster and all, but it is an auto.

But if you want something fast buy a corvette.

The Porsche is a nice compromise.

Also, unless the SRT-6 is a roadster, 27k is paying way too much for it. Unless it is new.

I have driven them both, and the Boxter S is much more fun to drive. Nothing like the back kicking out on a WOT 1-2 shift. Plus I also fit in the boxter with greater ease. 6'1" 230 lbs". Maintenance will suck on both of them.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular

I also say I drive a Crossfire and I add on SRT-6! Most say what is that. Then they see it and think it's awesome. They being the female species. If you buy the Porsche and you are cruising around with a college girl just don't pull up next to an SRT-6, it'll blow your cover once the light turns green. Heck for that matter, don't pull up beside any SRT vehicle. Oh I almost forgot , don't pull up next to any Ram-Air Trans-Am either. (see sig, had to throw that in).

Old 02-20-2007, 06:23 PM

LMAO ^^^

Good call man... That's the MAIN THING that makes me lean away from the Porsche... in favor of the SRT. I know the SRT is a missile... I saw one about two months ago ROAST an M3 Coupe from a standstill... I was like DAAAYYYUUUMMM!!!

I heard one of the biggest horror stories with the Porsche was the shipment of replacement parts, should the need arise. Someone said if you blew an airbag in a wreck, it would take a MINIMUM of 8 weeks to get your new airbag, since it could not be shipped via Air-mail since it contains explosives. I also heard about a $4,000 15k mile service tune-up... the list goes on.

I'm not even going to mention the insurance... OMG...

With the SRT, I can run full-coverage for $608 (for a half year). The Porsche was triple that.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 PM

LMAO ^^^

Good call man... That's the MAIN THING that makes me lean away from the Porsche... in favor of the SRT. I know the SRT is a missile... I saw one about two months ago ROAST an M3 Coupe from a standstill... I was like DAAAYYYUUUMMM!!!

I heard one of the biggest horror stories with the Porsche was the shipment of replacement parts, should the need arise. Someone said if you blew an airbag in a wreck, it would take a MINIMUM of 8 weeks to get your new airbag, since it could not be shipped via Air-mail since it contains explosives. I also heard about a $4,000 15k mile service tune-up... the list goes on.

I'm not even going to mention the insurance... OMG...

With the SRT, I can run full-coverage for $608 (for a half year). The Porsche was triple that.
If you want speed and bling and still don't want to spend much, c5 z06 all the way. You seem to want a chick magnet. And out of all the cars I owned the Vette was the best at it.

You say Crossfire, they say what's that? Then you proceed with chyrsler. They reply with a meh. SRT-6 or not.

You Say Boxter S, if they say what's that? You tell them a Porsche, and they will be intrigued. But if they know a little more, the Boxter may not impress as a 911 would.

You say Corvette, they are hooked. I yet to run into any woman who does not know what a Corvette is. I am buying an '03 ish Z06 when I grad in May or soon after. It has it all, mass appeal. Speed, speed, and some more speed. Cheap insurance, great mpg, service is easy and cheap. And the aftermarket is fantastic.

I was highly considering buying a SRT-6, you can get low low mileage ones in my area for 25k OTD. But for a few more K, I can get a car with the advantages said above.

Though the SRT-6 would be the most initial frugal choice.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an SRT6 and love it... now that being said I'm also biased.

If you are mainly looking for a 'chick magnet'... then choose your car from Bullseye's comments. Corvette has been around so long that just about anyone knows about what it will look like before they see it. Doesn't matter what year.

As for the Boxter S... it's an okay shape in my book, but the Cayman is to die for (as far as Porsches go)... if you want a car with VERY good performance and looks that will turn heads no matter where you are... get the SRT6 PERIOD.

If you need something to 'spout' about to people... well... your call.

Maintenance on my SRT6 to date has been very minimal. Insurance is only about $100 more every six months compared to my 2002 Sebring Convertible I had previously.

Fuel wise the SRT6 is a bit of a guzzler at around 18-20 mpg city and 20-23 mpg highway. In this aspect a Limited or Base model would be better at nearly 30 mpg highway.

Roadsters are cool too and still have that classy shape... it's not just another Crossfire with the top cut off, they kept the lines of the car beautiful wile making a very striking convertible.

Good luck with your purchase...

Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 PM
RPM

If the 'chick magnet' aspect is important - how about a new Jeep Wrangler?
I had good luck with mine in college.
It's 4WD, a convertible, rugged, has room for 4, etc. Slow though and obviously not what you're looking for.

Mustang GT Convertibles seem to do OK w/the ladies as well. Everyone knows what a Mustang is and there are mods out the kazoo for them.

Vettes are an old faithful too.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

PS - not sure if they are making these yet:
http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/c/cr/craigpj...ick_magnet.jpg

Old 02-21-2007, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the replies guys...

Corvette/Mustang... WONDERFUL cars... but I am trying to get a taste of the European sports thing. I have raced/dealt with/been around domestics all my life, and still LOVE them, no doubt. But I really am looking for a more "refined" package. The Corvette is a BEAST but the acres of Cavalier-class plastic just turn me off... And sadly, the new Mustang is SO popular around here, I literally see one ever mile or so. Tricked out, loud, and glorious; but COMMON.

And, I work for Nissan. There's no way in hell I would purchase a 350Z (which I can get CHEAP). I simply see THOUSANDS a day. Hence the problem with the Mustangs.

Since their release, I've only seen THREE Crossfire SRT-6's. That's rare enough to where you could EASILY catch a Mustang GT off guard and eat its lunch..
.. or a Z... or a Boxster.

All things considered, I'm leaning more and more towards the SRT-6... It has speed, refinement, and class. The ONLY thing I don't care for is the Chrysler nameplate. But that's not going to be the deal breaker... if the car kicks @ss, it simply kicks @ss. No sense beating it up over a name...

Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 AM

JHM2K,

You are looking at two excellent cars and can't decide between them, so I'll just add this little tidbit for your consideration.

Say you get the SRT-6. You drive it for a year or so, like it but ultimately decide that you would be happier with a Boxster. You can sell the 6 and get the Boxster, or maybe the follow on model. The thing is that there will always be a Porsche of some shade or stripe for you to buy.

Now let's say you go for the Boxster first and drive it for a year or so. Then you decide that you'd be happier with what an SRT-6 offers. By the time you decide to get the SRT-6 the supply of them may be extremely limited or non-existent.

Consider that the Boxster is still in production and if Porsche drops it, there will be a successor available. The SRT-6 is out of production and it's assumed successor (Firepower) will not even be built. Right now there are still a number of SRT-6s being offered for sale, but more and more of these are used. This is a sure sign that the supply of new ones is dwindling and the market for used ones will follow suit.

Brent

Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 AM

You work for Nissan? Get a Touring 350Z roadster, twin-turbo it, and call it a day.

In all honesty though, a Porsche forum will tell you to get the Boxster and this forum will tell you the opposite. I've never liked the Boxster, as I've always seen the 911 as a "true" Porsche. However, the Cayman really grew on me, and I even considered buying one recently before I ordered my new car. If all you're looking for is opinions and those are your only two choices, I say SRT-6.

By the way, how can crossfire owners talk the SLK down when you tell everyone it's "basically" what you're driving now? It was a huge accomplishment for the hard-top convertible market...more and more cars are now following suit. Plus, don't tell me you wouldn't rather have the updated steering system or the bigger engine. Of course, maybe I'm just biased because I have a 2008 SLK55 AMG on order for June...

Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

The C-5 Z06 is an old body style. Ten years old. Fast and cheap however. Just my 2 cents worth. Mustangs are at every red light, I just don't get it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster S