Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

What kind of car is this??!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of car is this??!!!

On one of our weekend getaways my darling wife and beautiful son went out to Oxford Maryland and ate at a wonderful restaurant on the Chesapeake Bay and spotted this car in a driveway as we left. I have no idea what kind of car it is and was hoping you all could help me out.

Another interesting car we saw at the start of the day was a 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible. It was one of the longest cars I've ever seen in my life. If my son didn't need my constant attention I would have taken a few pictures of it to share with the board.

So...drum roll please...JT, KT and LJ want to know what kind of car is this!!!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...ry.php?cat=690

Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Default Re: What kind of car is this??!!!

vw karmen ghia

Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 AM

Looks like a beat up Karmann Ghia (VW) from the 60's:

And, yes, it's the same "Karmann."

Old 07-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: What kind of car is this??!!!

Originally Posted by maxxm
Looks like a beat up Karmann Ghia (VW) from the 60's:And, yes, it's the same "Karmann."
Right on the money!!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the very early 70's, I was driving a VW bug convertible and my girlfriend had a Karmann Ghia. I'd recognize that car any day, but especially in the classic and dominant green color.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxm
Looks like a beat up Karmann Ghia (VW) from the 60's:

And, yes, it's the same "Karmann."
Yes, funny post no? This is the very popular Karmann Ghia ...the very same coach builder who fabricated our XF's. These were pretty ubiquitous where i grew up on LI in the 60's/70's. My neighbor had one and it was just a fun little car in the days of heavy metal monsters.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Always wanted one...but couldn't afford more than a corvair at the time. Now, I would love to have either one!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Forum Regular

Hey Senna where on LI did you grow up?

Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Forum Regular

I too, was a Long Island child of the (fifties and) sixties. I grew up in Searingtown/Albertson.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Forum Regular

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a '70 VW Bug convertible... I don't know where the car was actually built, but I was told back then that the top was made by Karmann. The VW was a time-tested, well-made, efficient, no frills basic car. But, the convertible top on that car a masterpiece of mechanics, luxury, and quality. The outer top was a thick and rugged vinyl. Under that was thick acoustic/ thermal padding. The inner surface was a light and well-fitted vinyl liner that made it look like a hard top from the inside. It was a great barrier from the noise and the cold of winter. No framework was visible at all. And it opened and closed with little effort.

I say this in preface of a quick story...

My prior car was a '68 Pontiac Firebird convertible. The top was a thin sheet of heavy-duty canvas or the like. It gave no insulation from the cold or noise outside. It also proved to be of little value from a security aspect. Someone sliced it open as easily as a hot knife through butter to get to my 8-track player. Twice.

On the other hand, in college, I used to park my VW laterally across a somewhat steep hill at my apt. complex. One night, vandals decided to lift my car's high side and rolled it onto its side and top down the hill causing considerable cosmetic damage. The upper part of the top on the driver's side had a good 6-8" tear. And even with that large tear, you could not get your hand past the dense matting and inner liner beneath it to reach in and unlock the door. That was one quality top.

Last edited by midnightman; 07-04-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightman
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a '70 VW Bug convertible... I don't know where the car was actually built, but I was told back then that the top was made by Karmann. The VW was a time-tested, well-made, efficient, no frills basic car. But, the convertible top on that car a masterpiece of mechanics, luxury, and quality. The outer top was a thick and rugged vinyl. Under that was thick acoustic/ thermal padding. The inner surface was a light and well-fitted vinyl liner that made it look like a hard top from the inside. It was a great barrier from the noise and the cold of winter. No framework was visible at all. And it opened and closed with little effort.

I say this in preface of a quick story...

My prior car was a '68 Pontiac Firebird convertible. The top was a thin sheet of heavy-duty canvas or the like. It gave no insulation from the cold or noise outside. It also proved to be of little value from a security aspect. Someone sliced it open as easily as a hot knife through butter to get to my 8-track player. Twice.

On the other hand, in college, I used to park my VW laterally across a somewhat steep hill at my apt. complex. One night, vandals decided to lift my car's high side and rolled it onto its side and top down the hill causing considerable cosmetic damage. The upper part of the top on the driver's side had a good 6-8" tear. And even with that large tear, you could not get your hand past the dense matting and inner liner beneath it to reach in and unlock the door. That was one quality top.
My understanding is that Karmann build all the VW convertibles.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
alf

Hello fellas I am new here just browsing around I really like this forum seem like lots of nice people round here. Funny you mention the 300 I have a '68 they are beautiful cars indeed and oddly enough are popping out of nowhere nowadays. I'll toss a pic up when I get a chance if you'd like.

alf

Another interesting car we saw at the start of the day was a 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible. It was one of the longest cars I've ever seen in my life. If my son didn't need my constant attention I would have taken a few pictures of it to share with the board.

So...drum roll please...JT, KT and LJ want to know what kind of car is this!!!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...ry.php?cat=690

Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 AM

That's a Karman Ghia, not sure what year it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Karmann_Ghia

http://karmannghia.org/sales_lit/oth..._brochure.html

Attached Images
File Type: gif
1958_page1.gif (55.0 KB, 3 views)