Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Could a hydraulic assist unit be added for the clutch if you really had your eyes set on that particular badboy?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy that owns Flemings said "there is something we can do about that" (the clutch) so I have thrown that back in their lap. We'll see what they come back with. I have Friday off, I'm guessing I'll be over there again.
One other thing I noticed on the car. In the pictures it has an oil cooler. I was talking to a couple of other Cobra owners and they said with an engine like that its crazy to not run one. So I'm wondering what happened to it? The pics on their web site show the lines to the cooler, in person there was no oil cooler. So its back to them right now, we'll see if they want to do anything.
Pat

Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

You only go round once in this lifetime and if a hydraulic assist would fix the clutch issue ..... Hmmmm !!!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I threw it out there, see what they are willing to do. Just out of curiosity what do you think it would cost to do something like that?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pat....I know what you are going thru buddy...I've been there...The Z06 was my dream car...and it was, and still is a great car...but, I was afraid to do anything with it, with the investment I had in it....the XF's, one for traveling, having fun meeting all of you guys, and now one to mod for those crazy want to drag race, spin the tires days...all for less than what I had in the Z....and I am not afraid to have fun with them...show them, race them...and you don't see many...the cobra's are nice, and I love them as well...but, the two here in town, and don't take this wrong, it doesn't describe anyone here....those two are owned by a couple of guys who couldn't change the oil if they had to....anyway, if this is your dream toy, then go for it...but, do some homework with the cobra clubs...as they know the best set ups...a stiff clutch, can't be solved easily as it sounds, a different clutch, and an oil cooler if that is what the cobra guys suggest. I met a bunch of these guys at Woodward 2 yrs ago, and there were a couple of originals there...they are as crazy about their toys as we are about ours....good luck my friend...

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

I know where you are coming from !! Thats how we ended up getting the crossfire !!!! Loved the looks & once we drove it I told the wife you only live once lets get it !!! Her 1st words where what are you selling !!! So far Ive kept all the other toys too !!! Just dont keep the ins on as long !! Sits a little bit more in storage !!! but lov the toys !!! Up to 7 cars right now !!!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Your lucky, I'm allowed my one toy. This continues to get better. Ultimate has said they will replace the clutch with a dual friction clutch. So we continue to negotiate. They have already ordered new tires for the car so that's another plus. I just priced the insurance this morning and that is a definite go, only $75 more a year than the Crossfire from Grundy. Our next pow wow will be Friday, stay tuned.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to sacrifice my GSX-R in order to get my XF. It was a long standing deal I made with my wife as she has been on me for years to sell my bike. Well my love affair of the Crossfire got the best of me and I found my dream car...put the bike on Craigs list and the rest is history. I was able to keep my boat though...woot!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM

good luck Pat....at least they are working with you...is it a 9 bolt ford rear end....as well....just curious...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Corvette C-6 rear end doc.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Well guys I'm passing on this car. It would need too much work to get it streetable and with the cost of the car I'm pretty much at my limit. They were not willing to swap out the clutch as part of the deal, wanted $1200 to do it and I'm just not willing to go any higher on this particular car. So I will continue looking and continue driving another one of the greatest cars I've owned, my Crossfire. I thank you all for your thoughts and comments.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patpur
Well guys I'm passing on this car. It would need too much work to get it streetable and with the cost of the car I'm pretty much at my limit. They were not willing to swap out the clutch as part of the deal, wanted $1200 to do it and I'm just not willing to go any higher on this particular car. So I will continue looking and continue driving another one of the greatest cars I've owned, my Crossfire. I thank you all for your thoughts and comments.
How much were they asking for the car... if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

$39,900 then they immediately knocked off $900. Then it came down to about 37k but then the ad ons, new clutch, e-brake took it back up. I had no problem with the cash outlay but the monthly would have gone up and I have to be under a certain amount a month, my toy money. I've seen other Cobra's that are more street ready for less, between 30-35k and that is what I'm gonna go for. This was the first one I was serious about. I figure this car would have cost another 2500-3000 to get it where I would be comfortable driving it. I think it was built primarly for racing. Probably gonna sit tight until spring. I did get quite an education this week on who build's the best replica's etc. The Cobra Club is very helpful just like this forum and my good friends over at CICCI.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$39,900 then they immediately knocked off $900. Then it came down to about 37k but then the ad ons, new clutch, e-brake took it back up. I had no problem with the cash outlay but the monthly would have gone up and I have to be under a certain amount a month, my toy money. I've seen other Cobra's that are more street ready for less, between 30-35k and that is what I'm gonna go for. This was the first one I was serious about. I figure this car would have cost another 2500-3000 to get it where I would be comfortable driving it. I think it was built primarly for racing. Probably gonna sit tight until spring. I did get quite an education this week on who build's the best replica's etc. The Cobra Club is very helpful just like this forum and my good friends over at CICCI.
This is good news for your Crossfire. I'm sure she was alittle worried ....about what would become of her.

I look forward to meeting you on Sunday --- and your Crossfire.

Paul

Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Same here Paul, look forward to meeting you.
Pat

Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM

boy, that was close...but common sense kicked in.....just kidding...I will keep my eye out for you...we have some nice ones around here....and they are in the 25K range...

Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Thanks Doc - I'm looking for a small block that is street driveable, not a track car. The one I was looking at was set up for the track. Back to my oil change!
Pat

Old 11-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Pat I am sure you will find the right car or it will find you, and if the scenario is right....then go for it and don't look back. I am in somewhat the same situation, I am looking at adding another Cadillac to the stable. The CFO (my Wife) has given me the "green light", we have the chance of getting a very pampered low milage 2009 CTS-V for a song.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I'm glad I didn't jump on that one. Wife knows a guy who bought a GTO from them and he had major problems with the car. He paid 40k for what was supposed to be a totally redone 67 GTO tri power. After he got it home he noticed body panels that were out of line, a shot rear seal, no e-brake (seems to be a common practice at this place) and worst of all a bent frame. They kept telling him they would make it right but never had. He's put an additional 20k into the car. Told me don't take a car from them even if they give it to you. Something told me to be cautious about a place like this. I've had quite an education in buying a car like this. So it wasn't a wasted effort. I'm gonna sit tight for the time being, look again at the end of next summer.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad I didn't jump on that one. Wife knows a guy who bought a GTO from them and he had major problems with the car. He paid 40k for what was supposed to be a totally redone 67 GTO tri power. After he got it home he noticed body panels that were out of line, a shot rear seal, no e-brake (seems to be a common practice at this place) and worst of all a bent frame. They kept telling him they would make it right but never had. He's put an additional 20k into the car. Told me don't take a car from them even if they give it to you. Something told me to be cautious about a place like this. I've had quite an education in buying a car like this. So it wasn't a wasted effort. I'm gonna sit tight for the time being, look again at the end of next summer.
I talked to an old Mustang Afficianado friend this weekend about your looking at that BIGBLOCK and didn't take him long to concur w/ you. He just parted w/ his built to the hilt 351 in his GT350. He said that bigblock would wear you out quick! Congratulations on passing on that one. Look forward to seeing what you end up getting. The rest of us would like to live the dream, even if it's vicariously with you, HaHa.

Quick Reply: Drove my dream car this afternoon!