Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove my dream car this afternoon!

I have been a fan of the Ford Cobra (Mustang not!) since I was 14 years old. The first model car contest I won was with an AMT Cobra kit. So the car has always held a very special place in my heart. This summer I turned 60. It was traumatic for me and I guess it gets you thinking, what haven't I done?This afternoon after a great deal of thought and whatever I ventured over to a place in Rockville Md. Called Flemings Ultimate Garage. I've been checking out Cobra's for sale on line. They have a beautiful 66 Cobra, guardsman blue with white stripes, the car is stunning. After a bit of poking around with the salesman we got down to some numbers and I was surprised, I think I can afford to buy this car. Took it out for a spin and it's a bear. Supposedly its been ranked one of the 5 fastest Cobra replica's in the world. The engine is a 521 Cobrajet putting out 600 hp. In a 2000 lb car its an incredible feeling. I driven Corvettes, 396 Chevelles, Z-28's, Z cars etc and they are nothing like the raw power this thing has. You think we get some looks? There were two guys in new Corvettes on Rockville Pike that just about fell out of their cars when they saw, heard and felt this car go by.
So now we are trying to figure out just how the Crossfire plays in all of this. I can trade it and be able to afford the Cobra. Its a real tough decision. Partly because the Crossfire is a semi practical car, there is nothing at all practical about the Cobra, its just about the coolest toy in the world. So I'm in serious decision mode and we are going to talk again on Tuesday and see where the numbers are at. I love my Crossfire and its been a great car for the past 5 years but to be able to own a Cobra! wish me luck.
Pat

Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Drove my dream car this afternoon!

I'd do it in a New York minute. There's a group of about a dozen Cobra replicas that show up at every Cars 'n Coffee in Dallas. They park in a lineup with an original Cobra that's said to be worth $1 million.

Do you have some pics of it?

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 10-30-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 PM

Go for it Pat. Being the same age I sure understand your thinking. I have always been a big fan of the Cobra and these new cars are much better than the originals. So if you can make the numbers work and this is "the one" I would say pull the trigger and don't look back. good luck with your decision.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to be: :: 1966 A.C. Shelby Cobra - Flemings Ultimate Garage

Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pat... I know how much that car means to you. Just do it. I hope one day I can buy my dream car too! Live the dream and buy it.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Pat...I'd say follow your dream and get this bad boy beauty !!!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Thanks 70GT6 - that's the link. and thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm headed off to our weekly Cruise In and I'm gonna discuss the car with a couple of the Cobra guys. Stay tuned.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patpur
Thanks 70GT6 - that's the link. and thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm headed off to our weekly Cruise In and I'm gonna discuss the car with a couple of the Cobra guys. Stay tuned.
Awesome car. Is it even street legal? Wow.

So, I expect you might not be doing the sugarloaf run in your Crossfire next weekend.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Wow, that car is absolutely beautiful, if you can afford it run to the dealer and sign the papers. Good Luck.. I love my roadster, but that car is in a class of its own

Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Sugarloaf is on no matter what. The car is street legal but its a bear to drive. It has a racing clutch that is hard as a rock. My Crossfire is used to get me to work 2-3 days a week, its only a mile or so and then whatever weekend cruise in activities. I'd use the Cobra the same. I was talking to a couple of Cobra owners this morning and they feel the car is a tad over priced and its not something they would cruise in, they suggested a small block car. One has a Super Performance the other a Factory 5. This is an extremely hard decision so I'm taking my time getting there. If not this one I definitely see one of these in my future.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not sure if you have seen this site before, but there are several Cobra's on here for sale. If nothing else, it is a good site to get a comparison of what others are listed at. CarsOnline.com: Replicas Cars For Sale

Also, they have some other really cool replicas to see.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pat, I will be the bad guy here....these little replica's are all over IN....2 right here in my small town....it is fun to get behind the wheel of a lot of HP....but there isn't anything practical at all with them...if were an original, well, the original was a race car...these aren't...it's like putting a huge engine in any little car....nice thrill until that thrill turns into common sense, and the long distance travel...it's your money, and I'm going to be 58, in few days, and I know the feeling, and that is what both my crossfires do for me...I know I can jump in either one of them and travel anywhere I want to go anytime....good luck with your decision...

geez,, Pat, I am getting so old, I forgot how old I am...I will be 57...just like a 57 Chevy...I am getting better...but maybe forgetful a bit.....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 10-31-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Pat, I will be the bad guy here....these little replica's are all over IN....2 right here in my small town....it is fun to get behind the wheel of a lot of HP....but there isn't anything practical at all with them...if were an original, well, the original was a race car...these aren't...it's like putting a huge engine in any little car....nice thrill until that thrill turns into common sense, and the long distance travel...it's your money, and I'm going to be 58, in few days, and I know the feeling, and that is what both my crossfires do for me...I know I can jump in either one of them and travel anywhere I want to go anytime....good luck with your decision...

geez,, Pat, I am getting so old, I forgot how old I am...I will be 57...just like a 57 Chevy...I am getting better...but maybe forgetful a bit.....
Gez Doc, thanks for bringing in reality and spoiling the dream for a lot of us silver club members.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been a fan of the Ford Cobra (Mustang not!) since I was 14 years old. The first model car contest I won was with an AMT Cobra kit.
Was it like this one Pat? I still have mine.LOL
DSCN0841.jpg

Last edited by +fireamx; 10-31-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

No Mike - the real deal, the model was though! You still have that ? WOW!

Doc - I understand where you are coming from. I spent a good hour yesterday talking to a guy who also has a Cobra. he told me he thought it was way too much engine for what I wanted the car for. So I thought long and hard about it, talked to a few friends and have decided to wait for one with a smaller motor in it, something a little less on the wild side. One of the things I did very much consider was after the "glow" fades I still have to be comfortable driving this thing and with the race clutch in it, it was not a comfortable car to drive. So one thing my years have taught me is its ok to think impulsively, just act on it responsibly and with a lot of what if's. There is a Cobra in my future, just not this particular one.

bmorgan - thanks - I know about that site, that where I found this one and realized it was sitting about 20 minutes away. The guy I spoke to yesterday told me he thought I could get into one with a small block, 302 0r 351 at around 35k or less. So my original plan was to do this, this time next year. I'm gonna hold to that unless something really attractive comes up.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me think this out.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same decision as you 3 years back when I bought my SRT6. My dream car has always been a 911 turbo. Since then it's morphed into a twin turbo. I started looking at them used of course, then ran across a twin turbo Z06. Took it out for a drive and was fine if I didn't hit the throttle. Actually was a blast but not realistic if I wanted to keep my license. Realized that was too much power and wasn't practical. Even though I wasn't looking for a practical car. Then I found the SRT6 for $20k less than anything I had looked at. I've enjoyed it very much but now I need a practical car and must sell. Over the past 3 years I've maybe used my car for work 5 times. Always had an extra car. So my advice is keep your practical car, or buy a simpler practical car and then buy the unpractical car for one purpose. Fun only. Even if it sits until you retire. Don't mix your fun car with your work car. Takes the fun out of it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2001 911 turbo.jpg (9.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
2001 911 turbo 2.jpg (5.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Thanks Cruzin - I live less than a mile from work and most days I walk, its a 14 minute walk home. I don't mind the walk, its good for me and I love to walk. I have another car to use for my errands so the Cobra, as is my Crossfire, would be my toy.
Pat

Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Cruzin - I live less than a mile from work and most days I walk, its a 14 minute walk home. I don't mind the walk, its good for me and I love to walk. I have another car to use for my errands so the Cobra, as is my Crossfire, would be my toy.
Pat
Then for a toy go for it. It's a great time to find a super deal. Here is a great pamphlet on collector car financing.

Another is J. J. Best Banc & Co. - Classic Car Financing

Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I clicked on that link and saw that Cobra, my wife thought I was having a heart attack and came running when I yelled "OH MY GOD"! I had no idea they could be had for so cheap (at least cheaper by far than what I thought). I was thinking just like the rest and was saying DO IT! , until I read what Doc had to say. He has very good points as you acknowledged. Good luck w/ your decision. Too bad we can't just rent one for a summer (affordable) and get it out of our system. The Crossfire would be there for us waiting faithfully.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

This morning I have to call Flemings and let them know what I've decided. And yes the price is very, very attractive and that is not what I can get the car for, its actually less. I'm told that you can buy these cars right now in the low 30's. If you check out the Cobras on Cars.com's link the prices run the gamut. My issue's with the car are the racing clutch and the driveability. The clutch completely makes it a b!tch to drive. yes its fun, yes it cool but I'm 5ft 9 and about 175 lbs. I think the car was set up for a 6 ft+ running back. Its probably just a tad bit more HP than I would need as well A Cobra is definitely in my future, probably not this one. Pat

Quick Reply: Drove my dream car this afternoon!