Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Originally Posted by patpur
I'm glad I didn't jump on that one. Wife knows a guy who bought a GTO from them and he had major problems with the car. He paid 40k for what was supposed to be a totally redone 67 GTO tri power. After he got it home he noticed body panels that were out of line, a shot rear seal, no e-brake (seems to be a common practice at this place) and worst of all a bent frame. They kept telling him they would make it right but never had. He's put an additional 20k into the car. Told me don't take a car from them even if they give it to you. Something told me to be cautious about a place like this. I've had quite an education in buying a car like this. So it wasn't a wasted effort. I'm gonna sit tight for the time being, look again at the end of next summer.
Pat....IN has some really nice auctions, and some very serious dealers...frame off type vehicles...I love to look from time to time...especially the old vette market...never much of a Cobra fan...but they have them...so, I will be taking some time off in December...going to poke around at the auctions...if I come up with something, you will be first to know...

Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 515 Likes on 355 Posts

Pat,
You should contact this guy "Owner" of a reputable on line auto store.
His name is Aaron Smith aaron@motorphilia.com

He has gotten my nephew some great high end cars for a very good price.
He is also the guy who found the BMW convertible back in July for my wife.
He has access to many auctions mostly in the south in Texas.
He can find virtually any car you are looking for and he is meticulous when he is inspecting a car for purchase.

Check out the website: http://motorphilia.com/
Tell him Gary sent you.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 AM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks ago I went for a ride in a very well done Cobra replica that a friend owns. It has a true 427 FE side oiler, 5 speed, etc. Absolutely amazing and I had never been in one before. I have always wanted one as well so I could see your dilemma Pat. Cheers.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There used to be someone here on the forum with a Cobra. I remember the photo with his Crossfire parked next to the Cobra on his driveway.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That I believe was a Factory 5 kit and I think it was someone Boiler knows, not sure was a while ago, might have been Velocia??? I kicked around the idea of building one of their kits, even bought their online build book and after talking to two guys who built them and seeing 2 actual cars in the flesh I changed my mind. For what you would put into a kit in time and money, you can buy one finished. There are also a plethora of companies that make turnkey cars. My favorite at the moment is Backdraft. Superperformance is probably the best (Shelby himself has them building his replicas) but they are out of my price range. The one I was looking at was a Mid States/Shell Valley also a nice car. One thing I have noticed is all the different kits have slightly different bodies, some are appealing some look like a poor attempt at copying a Cobra. I liked the Factory 5 at first but the back of that car, around the rear wheels just doesn't look authentic. I also don't want to spend a year or two building a car.
This whole adventure of the last week or two was a bit premature but a good learning experience. My gameplan was to start this as a kit car next fall. I had been shopping the internet ads and the one in Rockville came up. I thought I'd go look at it and was surprised at the price. 427 Cobras usually run in the mid 40's and skyward. There is a reason for everything. The problem with the one I was looking at is it would have cost 3-5 grand more to put the car on the street and make it driveable. I just don't have that much more to drop into the car. As it was it was a race car. They would put me in the car for around 37k but then I would have to add more money so I bowed out. After the fact I remembered my wife had a friend who bought a car form them and had a horrible experience.
Mechanically the car seemed fine but if I ever bought anything from them I'd be sure to take a mechanic to look things over. From what I have seen I should be able to find a nice small block car for around 35k.
RPM you are 100% correct, it is amazing. Like nothing else I have ever driven.
Gary thanks but its on ice til next Fall.
Pat

Last edited by patpur; 11-10-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Gary thanks but its on ice til next Fall.Pat

Besides Gary we need to get Pat to the fall Dragon in 2011. The other Pat

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Never say never yet............. looking at a car in Ashland Virginia. Looks like a more streetworthy car. Price is much better as well. Checked out the builder and manufacturer and they are reputable so we are back in the hunt. This one has a 351/375 in it and all the "stuff" the other one was missing.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Drove my dream car this afternoon!

Never say never yet............. looking at a car in Ashland Virginia. Looks like a more streetworthy car. Price is much better as well. Checked out the builder and manufacturer and they are reputable so we are back in the hunt. This one has a 351/375 in it and all the "stuff" the other one was missing.
Pat....I am about 20 - 40 minutes (depending on where in Ashland) from Ashland, its in the west end of Richmond.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

I'll let you know if I'm coming down, haven't heard a word from them yet, 2 emails. The place is called York Sports Cars in Ashland. Can't find anything bad about them on the Cobra site. Also checked the BBB in Virginia and they are a member with no complaints.

Last edited by patpur; 11-17-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Oh no....here we go again.....lol....good luck my friend...might give you something to polish on this winter....

Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Doc - That's what I was thinking last night, oh no here I go again. This is way different from buying a new car, even a used car cause you can get burned real easy. Once you find one then you have to research what kit its from, who built it and/or who the manufacturer was. So I was burning the midnight oil last night.
Just heard back from them and the car is tied up in a bankruptcy proceeding. Boy I sure know how to pick em'. They will let me know when its clear. The plus on this car is its priced right and a nice car, more of what I'm looking for. In addition I am dealing with the guy who owns the shop who built it and the company who supplied the kit still exists. That's a plus if you need parts.
So while all this is going on today I get a phone call from the original place, Flemings, and they have just gotten in a Shell Valley Cobra also with a 351 in it. It apparently is two years old, 500 or so miles blah blah blah, I'll go see it tomorrow at lunch. Of course they want a $1000, refundable deposit "to make sure the car is still here tomorrow". I said no way. Playing hardball. If its there its there. So my quest continues.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM

I don't think I would deal with those guys........the other sounds promising...

Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pat, once you get the bug, it doesn't go away.........

I'm heading past Ashland next week on the way down to Richmond. Not sure they will be open on Turkey Day, but I could do a drive by on the way back on Saturday if you haven't already gone to take a look.

Paul

Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Drove my dream car this afternoon!

I'll let you know if I'm coming down, haven't heard a word from them yet, 2 emails. The place is called York Sports Cars in Ashland. Can't find anything bad about them on the Cobra site. Also checked the BBB in Virginia and they are a member with no complaints.
Pat.....I know of the shop and have passed by it, but have never stopped in. They are about 25 minutes away from me close to Hanover Municipal Airport. I know of 3 Cobra (1 original and 2 replicas) owners in my area. I will see if I can get in touch with them and see if they have done business with them, and if they had any issues with them.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Paul - The car is most likely kept in their garage, I doubt its out where you could see it, Thank You for the thought though.

Crossfire LTD let me know what you find out. Apparently John York has been building kits for people for a while and I can't find any complaints anywhere. He goes by York Sports Cars. Unfortunately the car is subject to a bankruptcy so its anyone's guess when he can sell it. He e-mailed me this afternoon with that news. When he gives me the ok I'll drive down one day and take a look at it. I plan on looking at the car at Flemings but it would have to be a perfect car and a perfect deal before I'd consider buying anything from them, I've been warned and the fact they try and get you to put money down on something sight unseen puts up a big red flag for me.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Here we go again. The Ashland car has disappeared from the radar but there is another in Rockville. I went over and looked at it this evening and its a really pretty car and priced just about right so tomorrow I'll make them an offer and see if it floats. This one is a 351 and show car quality.

So I have a meeting with Flemings on Saturday morning. This car has a 351 vs the 521 that the other one had and only 400 horses. At first I didn't care for the wheels, 17" polished American Torque Thrusts, but in person they are beautiful. The car is midnight blue, 5 speed. posi, power rack and pinion and it has an e-brake and heat. I got a feeling about this one.

Last edited by patpur; 12-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Like I said here we go again. We talked money today and ironed out a deal, just under 13k for my car and they knocked a grand off the Cobra. The car is beautiful, was built in 2008 by Shell Valley, its a manufactured car not one of their kits, they built it. Its pretty loaded for a Cobra with power steering, heater, tonneau cover. Engine is a 351 with aluminum heads, big 4 bbl, 400 hp. Tremec 5 speed, Posi rear. So I take the trusty bill of sale to my credit union and they tell me within 5 minutes I'm approved for the loan but then they can't find the car in the NADA Book so they can't approve the loan???? Now we are trying to find financing that will get me where I need to be. Got my fingers crossed. Almost got to drive it home today! My son in law who went with me said we'd have had a cold ride home but our smiles would have been frozen on ours faces.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:53 PM
PNA

Like I said here we go again. We talked money today and ironed out a deal, just under 13k for my car and they knocked a grand off the Cobra. The car is beautiful, was built in 2008 by Shell Valley, its a manufactured car not one of their kits, they built it. Its pretty loaded for a Cobra with power steering, heater, tonneau cover. Engine is a 351 with aluminum heads, big 4 bbl, 400 hp. Tremec 5 speed, Posi rear. So I take the trusty bill of sale to my credit union and they tell me within 5 minutes I'm approved for the loan but then they can't find the car in the NADA Book so they can't approve the loan???? Now we are trying to find financing that will get me where I need to be. Got my fingers crossed. Almost got to drive it home today! My son in law who went with me said we'd have had a cold ride home but our smiles would have been frozen on ours faces.

Wow, good luck Pat. It's wild they can't find a pricing value. Everyone relies on NADA, but if they don't have one, I'm sure web searches, recent sales, edmunds and other services could ground them with a value for it.
We'll miss you with your Crossfire, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the Cobra. Always loved em too.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Apparently it has to be in the NADA guide and because Shell Valley is not a listed manufacturer they can't put a legit value on the car so NASA Credit Union won't do the loan even though I qualify. The dealer finance guy told me he would get busy on it Monday morning. There are other options for financing its just whether they can get the payment where I want it. Other than that the deal is done. They will have to do something if they want to sell the car unless someone has cash or a home equity loan. I'll still be at Burtonsville and Laytonsville even if I'm not driving my Crossfire. Hanging out with car people is the most fun I have had in years, I don't intend on stopping just because I change cars. I hope to see you this spring, we may get together after Chrsitmas, I'll let you know.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM
PNA

Apparently it has to be in the NADA guide and because Shell Valley is not a listed manufacturer they can't put a legit value on the car so NASA Credit Union won't do the loan even though I qualify. The dealer finance guy told me he would get busy on it Monday morning. There are other options for financing its just whether they can get the payment where I want it. Other than that the deal is done. They will have to do something if they want to sell the car unless someone has cash or a home equity loan. I'll still be at Burtonsville and Laytonsville even if I'm not driving my Crossfire. Hanging out with car people is the most fun I have had in years, I don't intend on stopping just because I change cars. I hope to see you this spring, we may get together after Chrsitmas, I'll let you know.
Good luck with it and hope the transaction works out smoothly and quickly for you and the COBRA will be under the tree for X-mas. I'll look forward to seeing it at Burtonsville or before!

Quick Reply: Drove my dream car this afternoon!