Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

'New' track video of #431

Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking 'New' track video of #431

I was getting a bit bored of my own track footage so decided to do something with some of HDDP's from his last outing at Willow Springs. Hope you don't mind Derek, I know it was bit of a tough day for you.

I have upload hi and lo res versions in case you have a slow connection.

Hi (18MB)
Lo (6MB)

Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 'New' track video of #431

WOW... LOL You have way too much time on your hands... Good job. Nice reminder of being passed by everyone on the track that day ...

FYI, I'm thinking of conning my camera crew into shooting my next event at California Motor Speedway at the end of the month with a couple of borrowed Panavision cameras. If I can pull it off, it should be some incredible footage.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
WOW... LOL You have way too much time on your hands... Good job. Nice reminder of being passed by everyone on the track that day ...
FYI, I'm thinking of conning my camera crew into shooting my next event at California Motor Speedway at the end of the month with a couple of borrowed Panavision cameras. If I can pull it off, it should be some incredible footage.
Well, I was supposed to be working but, just needed a break from preparing development schedules (for my proper job) for a product meeting on Monday! I suppose I could have done something more useful like sorting out how to dyno a Crossfire though.

That would be great if you get your crew to get some multi-camera footage. I find it a problem trying to do it all yourself, you usually end up with tons of in-car footage because it's too much hassle to keep relocating the camera to get the long shots of the car on the track, or close-up cut aways. After all the main reason to be there is to enjoy the driving, not filmmaking.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woody
I was getting a bit bored of my own track footage so decided to do something with some of HDDP's from his last outing at Willow Springs. Hope you don't mind Derek, I know it was bit of a tough day for you.
Ok... ok... in this collaboration, which one of u is Derek Jeter and which one is A-Rod=Alex Rodriquez. (simon, in the event that u do not know these names, they are 2 New York Yankee all-star baseball players)?

thanks for the viewing...

j

Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Woody, just a question about how you edited the video/audio...what application do you use? I know that Derek has all the latest editing suite stuff, but us normal human beings may have to do with less. I'm probably going to replace my old system soon and wanted to know what you think about video editing apps availabe and system requirements to support them.

Back to the video, the first thing I thought was nice integration, but I also realized that this was footage of the day that Derek was running with the faster cars, I wasn't sure he wanted to be reminded of that!

I finally pulled up a map of your course in the UK...it really is an airport eh? long straight!

Keep'm coming...thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Woody, just a question about how you edited the video/audio...what application do you use? I know that Derek has all the latest editing suite stuff, but us normal human beings. may have to do with less. I'm probably going to replace my old system soon and wanted to know what you think about video editing apps available and system requirements to support them.

Back to the video, the first thing I thought was nice integration, but I also realized that this was footage of the day that Derek was running with the faster cars, I wasn't sure he wanted to be reminded of that!

I finally pulled up a map of your course in the UK...it really is an airport eh? long straight!

Keep'm coming...thanks!
Well, I have used several video apps over the years, usually the ones that came bundled with the camera etc. things like MGIvideowave etc. and used a firewire card in the PC to import the footage from the camera (Sony TRV725) But a couple of years ago I bought an iBook and started using iMovie (and iPhoto for my pics). I find this so much better than anything I tried on the PC, and it is essentially free with Macs. IMovie integrates with all you pictures in iPhoto and music/soundtracks in iTunes so it is easy to access all your media whilst editing the video. The editing interface is very intuitive and it is quite easy to synch the action to the sound. After editing you can then export it direct to iDVD and burn a disc. Generally I just find the Mac environment and hardware nicer to sit in front of, and I find I can just get on and do whatever it is I need to do. I have now been and bought a 20in iMac. \end advert

Yes, I did apologize as I know how tough a day it must have been for Derek. I did start off by using a track called 'Bad Day' by Steve Edwards, but I thought that really did make it depressing. I figured if Derek was man enough to post it up in the first place, then he wouldn't mind too much. Hopefully it won't be too long before we see footage of the traffic going the other way.

Yep, Bruntingthorpe is an old WW2 military airbase. The full straight is 2 miles long and it is where they first ran the MacLaren F1 prototype over 200 mph. We actually use the 'high speed' circuit that joins the straight half way after the chicane. The real 'straight' is parallel to this with an 'elbow' which looks tight on the map but is actually flat out in the dry. I'm back there on the 29th July. Hopefully they will have moved the 747 to adda a bit of variety to the pictures! I'm doing another vid at the moment with the speeds and gear selections shown on the screen. I'll post it up later.

...Forget the track, it sounds like you are having enough fun just out on the roads!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by woody
...Forget the track, it sounds like you are having enough fun just out on the roads!
...hehe...you can say that again, I got cut off this morning by a G35 AND BMW M3 who were racing through the metro parking "drive around". Very stupid and dangerous, I was just an innocent bystander, but those two were going at it! Tomorrow, I'm joining up with REDCROSS to head up to Pennsylvania for the Chrysler Nationals show, will be convoying with a bunch of Vipers. I'll send some pics.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Senna; Have fun at the Nationals, hope you have a chance to take that thing on the track. Give my regards to RedCross.

As far as video editing, I hate editing, seems like Woody has much more patience than I do. He's right about the iMovie, very simple interface and user friendly. I use it for this stuff on the internet to slap it together. For work we use Final Cut Pro HD 5.1 which is much more difficult to master and I leave that up to the professionals... LOL

Now about the video, I think it was great... I'm humble and have had my butt kicked many times, only makes me want to try harder. Anyway, it's still fun as heck even when you're being dive-bombed by faster cars.

PS: I finally recorded the exhaust sound clip, I'm uploading it to my server right now and will post it later.