Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

autobahn

Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool autobahn

i took my '05 roadster to autobahn country club in joliet.
the car for this first visit was stock.
first, i found out how much brake cooling there isn't.
second, are the michelin's stickier then the conti's?

Old 07-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: autobahn

Originally Posted by trickpony31
i took my '05 roadster to autobahn country club in joliet.
the car for this first visit was stock.
first, i found out how much brake cooling there isn't.
second, are the michelin's stickier then the conti's?
I can't imagine you having problems with brakes overheating unless you're diving in way too late... perhaps you should bleed the brake system and replace with ATE Super Blue fluid and try that... Or, you can always upgrade to the SRT6 brake components, which I use on my race car...

As far as the Michelins, yes you can get the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which are competition tires and stickier than the floor of a japanese massage parlor ... LOL

Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love tires that hook harder than Heidi Fleiss on tax day.

Derek, did you notice a marked improvement with the brake swap? I've been impressed with the SRT brakes but I don't have any real wheel time in a Limited.

I'm itching to get the wheels in for the hot rod so I can play with my monster brake conversion on that one. The wheels are on order but I get all excited and impatient when it comes to hot rod goodies. Kinda like a kid at Christmas.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by feets
Derek, did you notice a marked improvement with the brake swap? I've been impressed with the SRT brakes but I don't have any real wheel time in a Limited.
BIG difference over the standard brakes, like putting on a set of brembos...

Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Was the biggest difference in initial stopping power or in fade resistance? It's easy to see the size difference and I would imagine that the initial application is much tighter. I still find myself leaning on the SRT's brakes a little harder than necessary even in the boring daily commute. An easy touch goes a long way.
My old commuter/twisties toy was my Shelby Charger. It's got minivan front brakes, Daytona rear discs, and weighs 700 lbs less than the Crossfire. It's a great car to play with but the balance is off. A typical nose heavy FWD car. Every now and then I hop in my Cummins and fall back into truck mode. After logging over a quarter million miles, it's easy to fall back into the saddle. I've got to remember break the muscle memory when I get out of it and into the XF.

The hot rod can cook the current brake setup without much effort. I think I'm going to have to learn the brakes all over again once I ditch the 11.75" Diplomat cop brakes and slide the 14.2" AMG setup in there. The rears will be stepped up from 11.5" to 13" rotors.
It's a bunch of brake to stop a car weighing 400 lbs more than my SRT. One of these front rotors has as much friction area as three of the factory drum brakes. The heating issue should go away and it will probably take nothing short of abuse to melt 'em.

Last edited by feets; 07-19-2006 at 07:21 PM.