Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

New Race Gas Formula

Old 08-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Race Gas Formula

I spent the day with a friend who races IMSA GT3 Porsches and he gave me a little tip on a "illegal" race fuel formula that increased his dyno HP / Torque curves by 8% over the normal 100 octane Sunoco race gas he normally uses. The formula is as follows:

10 gallons of 91 pump gas
1 gallon Toluene (Octane booster that prevents pre-ignition)
1 gallon Propylene Oxide (Oxygenator that increases 02 in fuel by 37%)

Warning: Use gloves and safety precautions when handling the PO !

I'm going to give it a try at my next event.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Race Gas Formula

Almost sounds dangerous. How well does it stay mixed? I used to use a little nitro methane and it did not stay mixed with gas very well. Stayed mixed in alcohol just fine. Will the computer compensate for the more O2 and give it more fuel?

Old 08-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Forum Regular

That's quite a mix there, but for the price of a gallon of Toluene and PO, you can probably buy higher octane race gas from your local speed shop.

Anyways let us know how it goes, any idea what the octane rating on this mixture is?
Hell just convert over to alcohol and nitromethane, that would be interesting, but then they'll probably put you in a new class maybe??

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-13-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:47 PM

With Alcohol you need close to twice as much fuel but it is a bit cheaper. Nitromethane is expensive too. Goes to show you that racing never is cheap.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Forum Regular

I priced Toluene at Sherwin Williams $14/gallon couple years ago. I can imagine what it is now!

I think the methanol or ethanol is where it's at if you looking for a racing fuel with high octane rating.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
I priced Toluene at Sherwin Williams $14/gallon couple years ago. I can imagine what it is now!
faq...

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/inf...?articleID=410

cost per gallon: $6.00

http://www.midwestchemicals.com/toluene.htm

Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

shesh, I wish I could get Tolulete at $6/gal...

Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by bengel
Almost sounds dangerous. How well does it stay mixed? I used to use a little nitro methane and it did not stay mixed with gas very well. Stayed mixed in alcohol just fine. Will the computer compensate for the more O2 and give it more fuel?
Nitro methane doesn't mix well with gas, as you probably know now... Nitro Propane and Nitro Ethane will.

The Propylene Oxide is an oxygenator, basically like having a NOS bottle in you gas tank. It does trick the 02 sensor into advancing the timing and richening the mixture. I ran the "HDDP version of Rocket Fuel" yesterday at the track and was smoking cars with much more HP than me.

I had one of my camera operators come out and shoot the event in HD. I've got some good video, but it will take me a few days to edit.

DYNAMIC S: Toluene is $13 gal. but only used as an octane booster to prevent predetonation from the Propylene Oxide which introduces 37% more Oxygen into your fuel and help prevent the ECU from retarding the timing. Unfortunately PO is friggin expensive. $224 for 5 gallons. Race gas at the track is now $7 gal. So, yes, you could just buy 101 race gas and then add the PO, but I like to scare my neighbors when I start mixing the stuff in my driveway !!!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excerpt from article on http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/page2.htm

"Toluene and xylene have specific gravities higher than pump gas so the more of them you add, the leaner you need to calibrate the engine’s air/fuel ratio. Once you calibrate for toluene- or xylene-spiked, DIY racing gas; don’t go back to running conventional gasoline until you recalibrate to a richer mixture or you’ll be burning pistons. "

Am I correct to assume that the statement above is nothing to worry about since both calibrations is done automatically by the ECU?

Last edited by srt6_crossfire; 08-16-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by srt6_crossfire
Excerpt from article on http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/page2.htm

"Toluene and xylene have specific gravities higher than pump gas so the more of them you add, the leaner you need to calibrate the engine’s air/fuel ratio. Once you calibrate for toluene- or xylene-spiked, DIY racing gas; don’t go back to running conventional gasoline until you recalibrate to a richer mixture or you’ll be burning pistons. "

Am I correct to assume that the statement above is nothing to worry about since both calibrations is done automatically by the ECU?
Correct, the ECU will advance and retard the timing itself. Also, your car would benefit moreso than mine since you're boosted. I would concoct a mixture to raise the octane to 101 with the Toluene for the SRT and then add 10% Propylene Oxide and you'll smoke any other SRT6 on the road. I would safely guess you'll increase HP by 7-10%.

I ran this mixture last weekend and, for the first time, was able to keep pace with a boosted Evo and a N/A Lotus Elise. I'm in the process of getting my times for the track, but I would guess I shaved 3-4 seconds per lap from the last event.

Last edited by HDDP; 08-16-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the PO degrade any rubber or plastic fuel system components?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

probably, I believe most oxidizing liquids harden plastics, eventually they crack hoses easily.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
Will the PO degrade any rubber or plastic fuel system components?
Yes it will... That's why you should only dump as much "ROCKET FUEL" into your tank as you're going to need for your event. Drain it out if you plan on letting your car sit for weeks on end... But if you are just going to do a weekend race / drag, you can always refill the tank with pump gas and dilute the mixture after the event and everything will be fine... This will only affect rubber / plastic parts if you let it sit for long periods of time...

I now always trailer my car to the track with a nearly empty tank, then fill it with enough fuel to make the amount of laps I'm going to do... then refill as needed. It saves me weight...

Old 09-03-2006, 12:08 AM

New here and loving this forum.

Unless someone is racing professionally, like this HDDP, who needs this "rocket fuel" for the street? Last time i checked racing was illegal on the streets.

Anyway YOUR rocket fuel recipe will be a weekend project when i make a run over to Vegas. I will test it out in the crossfire before dumping it into the SLKs (320 & 350) we have.

Does HDDP have the engine modified to accept this custom fuel? if not, i will not worry about blowing o-rings and gaskets on mine.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by SLKGHOST
New here and loving this forum.

Unless someone is racing professionally, like this HDDP, who needs this "rocket fuel" for the street? Last time i checked racing was illegal on the streets.

Anyway YOUR rocket fuel recipe will be a weekend project when i make a run over to Vegas. I will test it out in the crossfire before dumping it into the SLKs (320 & 350) we have.

Does HDDP have the engine modified to accept this custom fuel? if not, i will not worry about blowing o-rings and gaskets on mine.
I have the engine modified, but not specifically to run the juiced-up fuel. You can run this formula with a OEM engine / ECU. Don't use it just to impress your friends when you're driving around town. It's way too expensive and would be a waste of money... The Propylene Oxide is about $250 for five gallons.

If you're doing drags, I'll bet you can shave a half second with this... Make sure you do the mixture properly and account for the gas already in your tank.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:34 AM

Thank you for that technical help. I belong to other auto-forums and although they are informative, they are not as friendly to advise. My show-off days are long gone, my enjoyment is to sit myself behind the wheel and DRIVE! I haven't taken the crossfire out on a long run yet but will this weekend.

It seems that your little crossfire is the one that "could"! (Are you an entity such as a sponsored race team or a person)? Looks like this crossfire's sole purpose is to race!

Good luck.

I will post the comparisons (in my opinion) of the crossfire and the SLK should anyone have interest. I will also post these results on the MB forum too.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 PM

It seems that your little crossfire is the one that "could"! (Are you an entity such as a sponsored race team or a person)? Looks like this crossfire's sole purpose is to race!
I'm trying to make it the one that could... Yes it is strictly a track car now which I will be campaigning next season. Unfortunately I was in negotiations for sponsorship from Daimler Chrysler late last year, until unexpectedly they informed me that the car was selling so poorly that they doubted that corporate would want to spend any money racing it.

So, now I'm a privateer for the time being, and the only race prepped Crossfire in the USA. I'm working on a sponsorship proposal and video in hopes of getting a bit of (parts or $) support from the industry.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
I'm trying to make it the one that could... Yes it is strictly a track car now which I will be campaigning next season. Unfortunately I was in negotiations for sponsorship from Daimler Chrysler late last year, until unexpectedly they informed me that the car was selling so poorly that they doubted that corporate would want to spend any money racing it.

So, now I'm a privateer for the time being, and the only race prepped Crossfire in the USA. I'm working on a sponsorship proposal and video in hopes of getting a bit of (parts or $) support from the industry.
Seems like you are well ahead of the game already. It is just a shame that Daimler/Chrysler will probably cut the crossfire production completely. As far as sponsorship from a manufacturer, HA! They would have used you and your car as a guinea pig, as most professional drivers sponsored by the manufacturer, are company paid drivers. I had 2 Subaru dealerships in the 80s & 90s and was heavily involved in their ENDUROS race circuit promotions and runs.

Perhaps the first mistake Chrysler made with the crossfire was not to have an official RACE TEAM attached. But then again they would have received slack for it being a MB and not a true Chrysler development.

I just took a peek at your website, are you the one that I should thank for the HDTV/radio technology that is in each room of my home and office?

Well good luck on your venture. You shouldn’t have a single problem obtaining sponsors. Until then save all your receipts come tax time!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM

I just took a peek at your website, are you the one that i should thank for the HDTV/radio technology that is in each room of my home and office?!
I wish !!! LOL

I'm the one responsible for your favorite TV shows now being shot in HD so you can see a gnats *** from across the room !!! LOL.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 PM

Hi HDDP
I am trying to make your gas coctail for my race ride but it looks like the Propylene Oxide is only sell as a gas here.

Dou you make the the mixture with the Propylene Oxide as a gas or you can get it there in liquid form.

Quick Reply: New Race Gas Formula