Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Took Her to the Track Last Night...Ran better than expected.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Took Her to the Track Last Night...Ran better than expected.

Well, even with the heat, and my fat *** driving, the Crossfire ran surprisingly well last night. I think at a better track in cooler weather, it may very well have a 12.9x in it on street tires. I did have "some" traction issues. I tried with and without the Traction Control. The car runs consistent 13.4s with the Traction Control ON. My best run was with it off. It wasn't easy to launch, as it would easy spin without the traction control, and would bog down with it on occasionally. Overall, I'm happy with the initial result. I was predicting 13.6-13.7 @ 105-107, and I wasn't far off my prediction. I want to go to VMP next and see if runs a little better there. I'll scan in the actual slip tomorrow when I have more time.

I also took the time to look at 4 different websites that Calculate Horse Power from 1/4 mile runs. There are two different methods here. One is an estimate based on weight and trap speed, the other is based on weight and 1/4 Mile Elapsed Time. After check all sites, these are estimates that seem to be consistent:

Trap Speed Method: 298 Wheel Horsepower, 351 Crank Horsepower (based on about 15% drivetrain loss).

1/4 Elapsed Time Method: 284 Wheel Horsepower, 355 Crank Horsepower (based on about 20% drivetrain loss).

Averaged of both: 291 Wheel Horsepower, 353 Crank Horsepower (based on about 17.5% drivetrain loss).

These are the standard ways to calculate, and I used a car with driver weight of 3,300 lbs. I'd say they are under-rated a lil' bit... I know that these estimates are just that, estimates. But I'm sure they are relatively close on a dynojet. Real world dyno results I would expect are 285-290 Wheel Horsepower, which still rounds out to about ~ 355 Crank Horsepower with 20% drivetrain loss.

Richmond Dragway: Slow, Greasy, HOT Track
Temperature: 97 Degrees
Right Lane Only (Left Lane sucks there)

60 Foot: 2.0019
330 Foot: 5.6274
1/8 ET: 8.6241
1/8 MPH: 83.35
1/4 ET: 13.3664
1/4 MPH: 105.19

Last edited by NeverEnough; 08-04-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Took Her to the Track Last Night...Ran better than expected.

Nicely done... If you could put some wider race rubber (295/30R19s?) on there and heat them up slightly in the water box, you may get a better launch on that car.

As to the 'bog down' part, that's your ESP (Electronic Stability Program) kicking in. Even with traction control off, the ESP is not completely disabled, but reduced by 80% (I think that's the specs I read somewhere).

Those with a manual gearbox have tried pulling the ESP fuses, but then it forces a 5,000 RPM rev limit (to protect the engine). I'm not sure if that would happen to you or not with the AutoStick as I had mine on a dyno with those fuses pulled and we did a full pull to red line.

Do a search for 'ESP Fuses' if you want to read the majority of material on the subject.

Click here for a post with the fuse numbers to pull.

Hope that helps... Cheers!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:47 PM

It only bogged out on me once with the ESP on. It ran consistent 13.4-13.5 with it on. It ran slightly better without it. I was heating the tires in the waterbox and I have the Pilot Sports, so they stuck pretty well with an 1,800 RPM Powerbrake launch. I think the heat played a major role in everything though. I wouldn't be surprised to see do a 13.1 in cooler weather. The track I ran on is TERRIBLE. There is another track that is about an hour further from me, that I've always run a consistent .2 better at with the same car setup on previous toys. So, if that holds close to the same, and I ran it on a nice cool day, it might actually squeeze out a 12.9. That's would nice anyway. No one has done it bone stock, but after yesterday, I'd say it's probably possible. Now if I can get one of my racer friends that weigh 125 lbs to drive it in the those ideal conditions, I think a high 12 would happen.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me to see 12's out of the car stock... but it would have to be absolute perfect conditions... i ran 13.06 @ 109 mph... I think its just at the limit of the cars ability, with a 2.0 60 foot. With about 3-4 13.1x runs that day and a ton of 13.2's I have heard of other 13 flats also.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by fflores
It wouldn't surprise me to see 12's out of the car stock... but it would have to be absolute perfect conditions... i ran 13.06 @ 109 mph... I think its just at the limit of the cars ability, with a 2.0 60 foot. With about 3-4 13.1x runs that day and a ton of 13.2's I have heard of other 13 flats also.
With the right conditions Fflores will be one of the first in the 12's stock.
His car has been freakish fast on the MPH with most of us only running 105-107 in the qtr. My best so far is a 13.005 but my MPH have never been over 105, in the 2 track outings I've done. Our coupe weighed exactly 3,000 lbs empty on the scales at Memphis Motorsports Park.

DB

Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Buck70
With the right conditions Fflores will be one of the first in the 12's stock.
His car has been freakish fast on the MPH with most of us only running 105-107 in the qtr. My best so far is a 13.005 but my MPH have never been over 105, in the 2 track outings I've done. Our coupe weighed exactly 3,000 lbs empty on the scales at Memphis Motorsports Park.

DB
How did you do that? What was your 60 Foot? It must have been in 1.6-1.7 range to get a 13.005 at only 105. I could see it on drag radials. I've actually thought about buying a set for xfire, but I'm not sure the rear diff will take the abuse...

In ideal conditions, I think I can massage a 1.8 60 ft out of the stock PS2s. They seem sticky enough. I'm going Virginia Motorsports Park(VMP) when it cools off. With EVERY car I've had, VMP runs about .2 faster than Richmond Dragway. If that trend holds true, and I get the launch down a little better, I think a 12.99 will happen... I've seen several 13.0xxX runs. I have to believe that a few thousands of a second can be found SOMEWHERE.

Last edited by NeverEnough; 08-07-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With you guys talking about 1/4 miles in the Crossfire it gave me a thought about doing one in my Crossfire... Not only have I never had the car on a drag strip before, but I have never driven a drag strip before...

I think that would be interesting to do (once) when I get the car back together and get a new clutch in it... I wonder what my car would do in a 1/4 mile ? 400 lbs lighter and fat rear tires...

Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
How did you do that? What was your 60 Foot? It must have been in 1.6-1.7 range to get a 13.005 at only 105. I could see it on drag radials. I've actually thought about buying a set for xfire, but I'm not sure the rear diff will take the abuse...
My 60 ft was crazy fast, but I was the first one on that lane with a fresh coat of VHT, and no street rubber to make it greasy.

Go price the rear end parts, and let us know. I'll bet it is scary expensive, so letting the tires spin a little is OK by me.

DB

Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP
With you guys talking about 1/4 miles in the Crossfire it gave me a thought about doing one in my Crossfire...
I think that would be interesting to do (once) when I get the car back together and get a new clutch in it... I wonder what my car would do in a 1/4 mile ? 400 lbs lighter and fat rear tires...
Are those fat rears a stiff sidewall for road race?? Might not 60 ft well, they tend to shock the tread loose on the launch if the wall don't flex enough.

Go try the 1/4 it's fun too.

When you get to the tree it should be on the .500 second setting, meaning 3 sequential ambers then green. First time out try to launch when the 3rd amber comes on. Don't wait for a green. Then tweak it from there, you might need to leave when the 2nd amber goes off instead.

Go around the waterbox, so your front tires don't get wet and take that water to the line, it will only hurt your grip to be on a wet track.

DB