Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

SCCA Solo 2 BSP build discussion

Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Solo 2 BSP build discussion

I am starting this thread for no other reason that to gain some knowledge about the high performance tuning of the Crossfire. A couple months ago I got the Crossfire classed in SCCA's B Street Prepared class on the same line as the SRT6 version. What this means is that you will be able to run the SRT6 motor with the NA coupe's 6 speed transmission. I have considered doing a build on my car for the 2009 season if things go well this season.

What the build would consist of would be the swapping in of an SRT6 motor or atleast installing all the parts on my NA motor that would make it an SRT6 motor. I don't know what parts are different on the engine internally or externally other than the supercharger itself and obviously the intake manifold. I would also install a set of coil-overs (probably custom Ground Control units). The big questions I am putting out there to everyone is are there any limited slip differentials on the market for our cars? Another thing I have no clue on would be heavy duty clutches and lightweight flywheel availability or would these all be custom pieces as well?

For tires I can fit what ever I need on the rear without touching the fenders so that is easy but the front fenders would probably need to be rolled and flared to fit a 285 on a 10 inch wide wheel with the proper offset to clear the control arm. Bryan's (Nocones) car weighed in at about 2,893 lbs at race weight in Kansas this year. I figure you could drop a bunch of weight in things such as putting in race seats, removing radio and speakers (wiring must stay according to the rules) and at the extreme dropping the air conditioning as well. You would be gaining weight when you add the supercharger system though. HDDP how much heavier is the SRT6 motor over the NA motor since you are doing a swap or are you not sure?

This is all just bench racing in the off season but I am curious as to what we can come up with for ideas.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SCCA Solo 2 BSP build discussion

I'm no racer or know much about cars in general, but I have read thru enough threads and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. First off, your better off swapping an srt6 motor rather than trying to build the equivalent with the N/A motor. The parts you would need to convert would probably be more $ than just buying a used srt6 motor outright. Not to mention the time and effort installing all those parts. Second, I've read phantom grip does offer something that acts like a LSD and is made for our cars for only $500.00. Good luck man, hope I helped.

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 01-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can do just about anything with $8,000

Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soloIIracer
This is all just bench racing in the off season but I am curious as to what we can come up with for ideas.
Can you post a copy of the SCCA Solo 2 BSP class rules?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Can you post a copy of the SCCA Solo 2 BSP class rules?
www.scca.org

Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 PM

I am starting this thread for no other reason that to gain some knowledge about the high performance tuning of the Crossfire. A couple months ago I got the Crossfire classed in SCCA's B Street Prepared class on the same line as the SRT6 version. What this means is that you will be able to run the SRT6 motor with the NA coupe's 6 speed transmission. I have considered doing a build on my car for the 2009 season if things go well this season.

What the build would consist of would be the swapping in of an SRT6 motor or atleast installing all the parts on my NA motor that would make it an SRT6 motor. I don't know what parts are different on the engine internally or externally other than the supercharger itself and obviously the intake manifold. I would also install a set of coil-overs (probably custom Ground Control units). The big questions I am putting out there to everyone is are there any limited slip differentials on the market for our cars? Another thing I have no clue on would be heavy duty clutches and lightweight flywheel availability or would these all be custom pieces as well?

For tires I can fit what ever I need on the rear without touching the fenders so that is easy but the front fenders would probably need to be rolled and flared to fit a 285 on a 10 inch wide wheel with the proper offset to clear the control arm. Bryan's (Nocones) car weighed in at about 2,893 lbs at race weight in Kansas this year. I figure you could drop a bunch of weight in things such as putting in race seats, removing radio and speakers (wiring must stay according to the rules) and at the extreme dropping the air conditioning as well. You would be gaining weight when you add the supercharger system though. HDDP how much heavier is the SRT6 motor over the NA motor since you are doing a swap or are you not sure?

I've been following your exploits on the SCCAforums and am getting really intrigued by BSP. All my previous cars have been CS and BS...this GS crap really isn't my boat, and a lot of mods I just flat want to do will of course throw me out of GS into ASP/BSP anyhow. I'm glad I will no longer be in ASP if I decide to use this as my primary solo machine, but I don't see how being BSP competitive will be possible for less than $10k. I may be able to get a regionally competative BSP car this year, but definately not anything more. 350z's and M3's are rough in that class.

Performance/Car Potential wise we should be in CSP, but we don't fit the "theme" of CSP so we will never get there. BSP and ASP have us seriously outclassed. I don't know anywhere this car could be competitive in solo really.

Anyone want to trade a 1995 240sx for a 1989-1991 Miata so I can run it in solo?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM

As a side note...regionally I was driving a BS 350z on Toyo t1s's faster than the local AS s2000's on Kumho's...so anything is possible.

EDIT: Oh, and the only way we could get forced induction is with a motor swap for an SRT6 motor. And to be competative this would be required.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyezak
I took a look at the generic "Street Prepared" rules and I am having trouble seeing why someone would compete in SP vs stock classes. It sounds like a way to spend lots of money to compete in a class that only allows you to improve the car "so much". Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I'm not much of an SCCA racer.

Last edited by sonoronos; 01-18-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Forum Regular

My suggestion is, since this is a track car and you are going to gut the thing anyway, find a SRT6 Crossfire with a ratty interior and swap in a manual box from a wreck or E-bay donor car. The SRT6 already has a LSD, lower stiffer springs and shocks and bigger brakes so you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort. Always cheaper and easier to just buy something close to you needs to start with. Save your base coupe for street duty or sell it to another forum member who wants to try the Auto-X game !

Cheers and Good Luck on the Track !

Slim

Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dyezak
I may be able to get a regionally competative BSP car this year, but definately not anything more. 350z's and M3's are rough in that class.

Performance/Car Potential wise we should be in CSP, but we don't fit the "theme" of CSP so we will never get there. BSP and ASP have us seriously outclassed. I don't know anywhere this car could be competitive in solo really.
When I wrote to the SEB (classing body for SCCA Solo) I actually wanted the car classed in CSP but it was declined for the exact reason as you stated. It does not fit in the spirit of the class which is small 2 seat roadsters (ie. Miatas and MR2s) but they did accept my 2nd proposal which was putting it in BSP with the allowance of running the SRT6 motor with the 6 speed manual transmission. The cars to beat in BSP are really the Mitsubishi Evo and the C4 Corvette.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Slim
My suggestion is, since this is a track car and you are going to gut the thing anyway, find a SRT6 Crossfire with a ratty interior and swap in a manual box from a wreck or E-bay donor car. The SRT6 already has a LSD, lower stiffer springs and shocks and bigger brakes so you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort. Always cheaper and easier to just buy something close to you needs to start with. Save your base coupe for street duty or sell it to another forum member who wants to try the Auto-X game !

Cheers and Good Luck on the Track !

Slim
It isn't a track car though. Swapping a 6 speed into a SRT6 would be much more of a PITA than putting an SRT6 engine into a base coupe. I don't want to gut the car like HDDP did because that renders the car absolutely useless anywhere but on track.

Since when does the SRT-6 have an LSD? I had posted a question about that a few months back and everyone said it didn't have one. If it does indeed have an LSD it might make a good AS car like I had thought but if it doesn't it is just cannon fodder. I honestly can't imagine my car having another 100 horsepower with the open diff the base coupe has. It wouldn't be pretty.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I took a look at the generic "Street Prepared" rules and I am having trouble seeing why someone would compete in SP vs stock classes. It sounds like a way to spend lots of money to compete in a class that only allows you to improve the car "so much". Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I'm not much of an SCCA racer.
Several reasons. You can put aftermarket springs on it, wider wheels, bigger tires, more power, and less weight. All add up to make a much more fun car. If you wonder why people spend so much money go take a look here http://http://www.siastuning.com/yellow4sale.htm

Plus I love tinkering with things. That might be why I have spent the last two mornings measuring my Koni shocks to the length of my OE shocks to figure out a way to have Koni add more droop travel to the rear so and still stay stock class legal.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good thread...

The SRT engine is only 44lbs heavier...

I'm not sure it would be wise to just add the SC & IC to the NA engine... There are some significant internal differences to the engines that would probably destroy your NA engine in a very short time with the added HP...

I don't have time right now to go thru the list of things completely, but short story is the cams, and added internal oiling ports... The physical aspects where the the pieces connect are identical... The intake plenum on the NA engine can be removed and replaced with the SC and IC and it mates perfectly...

The clutch you should use is from SPEC... And they are going to build a lightweight flywheel off my old FW as soon as I send it to them for mock-up... They have offered to produce one for sale, but did not have access to an original to use as a template...

As far as the LSD, yes... Kleeman used to offer a LSD but not sure if it's still available...

Last edited by HDDP; 01-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Good thread...

The SRT engine is only 44lbs heavier...

I'm not sure it would be wise to just add the SC & IC to the NA engine... There are some significant internal differences to the engines that would probably destroy your NA engine in a very short time with the added HP...

I don't have time right now to go thru the list of things completely, but short story is the cams, and added internal oiling ports... The physical aspects where the the pieces connect are identical... The intake plenum on the NA engine can be removed and replaced with the SC and IC and it mates perfectly...

The clutch you should use is from SPEC... And they are going to build a lightweight flywheel off my old FW as soon as I send it to them for mock-up... They have offered to produce one for sale, but did not have access to an original to use as a template...

As far as the LSD, yes... Kleeman used to offer a LSD but not sure if it's still available...
LSD is available from Phantom Grip btw for $500. It's not a true LSD but functionallity is the same and I have had good results with Phantom Grips in other cars.

If LantanaTX can get his Mercedes tech to be able to unlock ECU's and work in other cars then an SRT engine swap would be best. If not we are back (again) to the electronics limiting the car and being up against a wall.

I'm going to do BSP this year I believe, but I won't be competitive until the ECM/SRT swap becomes available.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM

Bump back to the top. I have just completed my two Prosolo events for the year. My finishes were strong even though my driving could have been better. I finished 2nd out of 8 in Atlanta and 6th out of 18 in Washington DC this past weekend. I have learned two things this year, 285/30/18 Hoosier A6's can fit the front of a stock Crossfire atleast at stock right height and the traction control is a much larger PITA than I initially thought.

I am now searching for a coilover kit for the Crossfire. Does anyone make one or am I going to have to contact some one to custom build one? I am still not sure what I will be running next year but I won't be in DS as SCCA is screwing with the stock classing on tons of cars for the next two years.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since when does the SRT-6 have an LSD? I had posted a question about that a few months back and everyone said it didn't have one. If it does indeed have an LSD it might make a good AS car like I had thought but if it doesn't it is just cannon fodder. I honestly can't imagine my car having another 100 horsepower with the open diff the base coupe has. It wouldn't be pretty.
It doesn't. They both have open diffs, but the traction control "bounces" the power back and forth between the rear wheels.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Bump back to the top. I have just completed my two Prosolo events for the year. My finishes were strong even though my driving could have been better. I finished 2nd out of 8 in Atlanta and 6th out of 18 in Washington DC this past weekend. I have learned two things this year, 285/30/18 Hoosier A6's can fit the front of a stock Crossfire atleast at stock right height and the traction control is a much larger PITA than I initially thought.

I am now searching for a coilover kit for the Crossfire. Does anyone make one or am I going to have to contact some one to custom build one? I am still not sure what I will be running next year but I won't be in DS as SCCA is screwing with the stock classing on tons of cars for the next two years.
Coilovers, ask and you shal recieve:

http://streetrays.rpmware.com/ksport.../i-112019.aspx

They are for the SLK320, but since our suspension is the same it should work for you.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
It doesn't. They both have open diffs, but the traction control "bounces" the power back and forth between the rear wheels.
The limited does this as well, but the way it controls the wheel spin is through applying the breaks to the wheel without traction. This is horrible IMHO. You can use this:

http://www.phantomgrip.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=214

Phantom Grip LSD for the SLK 32 AMG....we have the same rear end so this should work.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to reliably eliminate the BAS/ESP?????

Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Forum Regular

If looking for coilovers I would strongly recommedn KW Variant 2's.

Just keep in mind that the shocks and springs are still seperate and adjusting for height is a PITA.