Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Bad Day at the Track

Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Day at the Track

First off, Doc, if you showed up and I wasn't there, I'm very sorry. I was driving in the rain and doing OK when in the first turn, something happened to the car; no control in the wheel. We pulled off. The Left front bearing broke and probably the right is trashed. Had to limp in. So, it was bad enough driving in the rain, but worse when my front end breaks down.
What is upsetting is that I just had the left rear bearings replaced and susposedly, the front bearings were to be inspected. Now I'm really concerned that my mechanic didn't get them put in right. Or, when I had the car aligned, something didn't go right. So, it is back to square one.

What I'm grateful about is that because of God's rain, I wasn't going fast and that we were safe. I had my crew chief with me, so I'm grateful for his help.

I towed my car on my new Featherlite trailer, so I am so grateful that I was able to get the car back. In fact, I just dropped the car off at the dealership. My trailer, truck and tie downs were greate. Now I just need a car.

So, that is it for now until I can get my car running again. Think I'll have my racing mechanic inspect the Crossfire mechanic's work next time. Another lesson learned.

Jane

Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Bad Day at the Track

sorry to hear about the problem, glad your alright!
can you eloborate on what happened?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

I don't really know what happened,yet. The tires have more exagerated camber and didn't look right. I'm assuming bearings. Really couldn't steer the car very well, but was able to drive it 5 mph back to the trailer and load it.
So, I don't know what they are going to find and I'll just have to let you know. Could they have done something to the front end during the alignment.

Wish I was a mechanic, but will have to wait. I'll hopefully find out more next week.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM

sounds like a ball joint, if it were a tie rod the car wouldnt be movable, if ti were just wheel bearings it wouldnt have an effect of no steering, rather a grinding noise.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, Rob, for the input. I'll let you know what it pans out to be.
You know, I always wonder if one modification caused something else. Is
-2 camber too much, did I do something to the car to cause something else.
Don't you now, before I went out, I felt my car was in the best shape I could get it in in regards to tires, bearings, suspension, etc. But NOOOOO. There have been so many times when people have told me to go and buy a real race car, which breaks my heart, but now I'm wondering.
The Crossfire is not an expensive car, I have good mechanics and support, I have a tire store that gets me my tires ASAP down the road. What other car would I race? Oh well, back to the drawing board.
I just have to remember that God didn't want me to drive fast today and so he let it rain.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm with Rob on this one. It's not a wheel bearing. I can't imagine what's up with your rear bearings. I'm still on the originals. Maybe your just that much faster in the corners.
Sorry about the mechanical failure but it happens.

Les

Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular

What's a ball joint and what does it do?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In an automobile, ball joints are spherical bearings that connect the control arms to the steering knuckles. More specifically, a ball joint is a steel bearing stud and socket enclosed in a steel casing. The bearing stud is tapered and threaded. It fits into a tapered hole in the steering knuckle. A protective encasing prevents dirt from getting into the joint assembly. Motion control ball joints tend to be retained with an internal spring, which helps to prevent vibration problems in the linkage. Commonly found in automotive throttle linkages, throttle body set ups, these are also widely used on construction equipment, the end of gas springs and also in children's toys.

From wikipedia

Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry Jane, had to work, and was having Harley mechanical problems as well. So, I took care of those problems today...put a cam in the bike, now I need to upgrade the ignition...I'm hitting the stock rev limiter...

I am with the others on the ball joint...if camber was exagerated, it might have been enough strain in a hard corner to pop it.....

If you I get down your way next week, maybe we could hook up for lunch or something....I've been hitting Henderson KY a lot here lately

Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Jane, to be perfectly honest with you, I don't have a clue what could have happened. But I can tell you with certainty the 2º negative camber is not too much. As a matter of fact I run 2º negative camber on the drivers side and 2.29º negative camber on the passenger side. (more left turns than right turns) I also have 2º negative camber in the rear.

Possibly something could have been left loose by accident or something simply broke. I'm sure it will be obvious to your mechanics. Steering failures are usually visually easy to identify.

Les

Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Forum Regular

Let me know, Doc, when you are in town.

Yep, I looked up ball joints. I am sure that is what has happened. And I'm concerned my alignment contributed.

So, back to the drawing board.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by JaneBridges
There have been so many times when people have told me to go and buy a real race car, which breaks my heart, but now I'm wondering.
Everyone I know that races, whether SCCA or just hobby stuff, has things break - often. Anytime you are taking a car and beating on it that hard, you are bound to break things. Unless you go with an all out purpose built race car and rebuild after every few runs at the track, you will still have the same issues. I say keep the six and continue to get it dialed in, and when you can replace an OEM part with something more stout from Merc or from our aftermarket vendors, do it. Just my opinion, I am hoping to make it out this year to watch at some point, seen plenty of sixes go down the long straight course, very interested to see one go through the road course.

John

Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, John. You are right.

So, here is the final diagnosis: Loose camber bolt. My ball joints, bearings and all of that were fine. My left front tire corded because of it. I had just had it aligned before I went racing. So, I've already called Raben tire and I'm hoping they are going to suck up big time, cause it could have killed me and my passenger had I been up to speed. I don't know how I can tech a camber bolt. I have to rely on them to get it right for me. But, I will definitely be learning about camber bolts very soon.

I have talked with both of my mechanics. Chris the Crossfire mechanic found it, but it took him a bit to figure it out. I had given them the clue that I had it aligned and had not driven it except to home and on the trailer.
My racing mechanic and I also discussed about changing out parts of the suspension or whatever gets worn too much, every season. However, Chris said my Crossfire was good and holding up quite well.

So, that's the story. I will be back at Putnam May 5-6 for anyone who is interested in road racing. John, you could come out and start to drive at 10/10ths. It would be a good forum to learn.

Jane

Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM

thats good news Jane, easy fix, bummer about the tire. glad to hear it's ready to rock again.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

There you go, human error. In a way I'm relieved it wasn't a part that failed. My worst problems have been aftermarket parts that are poorly engineered. (adjustable camber arms, I tried to save a few bucks ... money down the drain) I'm headed to the track Sunday and hope to have a video for my peep's.

Les

Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Jane, I should be able to make it...and, if you can get your hands on a memory card...I have a camera we can mount on board....so you can have some video of your driving to share with your friends.....

Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Forum Regular

Not sure what kind of memory card you will need. Doc, why don't you come and drive as well. Check out the 10/10ths Motorsports.com website for the schedule.

See you all then. And, thanks for your support, everyone.

Jane

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by JaneBridges
John, you could come out and start to drive at 10/10ths. It would be a good forum to learn.

Jane
Jane, I appreciate the info, but at alomst $500 for the weekend, is does not fit in too well with the finances. I closed on my new home less than 3 months ago and have already built a 2.5 car garage, am having a driveway poured this month, and trying to finish off the basement, so my priorities are elsewhere at the time being. I may end up coming out to watch, keep us posted on the car.

John

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Forum Regular

I understand, John. At 10/10ths you can come out for one day (in the future.) In fact, I prefer one day cause 2 days gets hard on the old girl.

I'll keep everyone posted on my upcoming events. Right now, I'm planning on being at the Nashville Super Speedway on May 1st for my first Chump Car Racing event. That will be a new experience that I'm looking forward to.

Jane