Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

East Coast Timing Association -

Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default East Coast Timing Association -

I had to share this with you guys: I have wanted to run in one of the Flying Mile Events for some time like Brian Brave and a few others have done. The ECTA - East Coast Timing Association located in Maxton, NC is within a few hours of my house, so I thought it would be perfect. Wrong! Another member had told me before that he thought the rules for the ECTA were pretty strict especially compared to events like the Texas Flying Mile....he was very right.

This is the email response that I received back from the President of the association when I asked if I would have to install a roll bar for speeds over 135mph: A roll bar isn't the only requirement for going over 135 mph. A racing seat, hood hold downs, fire suppression system, five way seat belts, arm restraints, a door net and fire suit are some of the things that come to mind. You would need a rule book to determine all of the requirements. I understand all about the need for speed but race cars don't make good street cars and vise versa.
joe

THAT IS NUTS! Are you kidding me!!!! It is one mile long and straight! I can understand some of this stuff, but......I can see why the event in Texas is SO well known and the one in Maxton is not. They have regulated themselves out of the mainstream and have focused on only the hardcore racer. I am sure their insurance company loves them, but that in my mind is just bad for business. You can be safe without going to the extreme! ARG!!!!!!!

KrzyFast

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: East Coast Timing Association -

Krzyfast, thanks for this post. I was also considering this event and thought the entry fee structure was very resonable. This information puts the event out of reach for the average owner. I had heard they have a mile event in FL as well. Do you know anything about it and their requirments? Thanks Jim.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://topgunrun.com/ dade co. airport for the miami runs

Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post 32. I had not heard of the event down in Florida.
I am going to go check the link out now.

As for the ECTA, it is a real shame that they require so many mods to a vehicle to run over 135mph. That is a relatively easy target to make for a lot of new cars now......Oh well. If Florida works, I am thinking Road Trip!

Just checked my email as I had asked Joe why they were so regulated: Joe Timney wrote: "Your chance of survival in a crash over 135mph in a stock car is nil. We follow the SCTA rules for safety, as they have a 61 year history of running Land Speed Racing. Our insurance is based on our rule book. In my mind, Texas and the track in Miami are only concerned with making money. We truly care about your safety."

Cheers,
KrzyFast

Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KrzyFast
Thanks for the post 32. I had not heard of the event down in Florida.
I am going to go check the link out now.

As for the ECTA, it is a real shame that they require so many mods to a vehicle to run over 135mph. That is a relatively easy target to make for a lot of new cars now......Oh well. If Florida works, I am thinking Road Trip!

Just checked my email as I had asked Joe why they were so regulated: Joe Timney wrote: "Your chance of survival in a crash over 135mph in a stock car is nil. We follow the SCTA rules for safety, as they have a 61 year history of running Land Speed Racing. Our insurance is based on our rule book. In my mind, Texas and the track in Miami are only concerned with making money. We truly care about your safety."

Cheers,
KrzyFast
True statement.....blow a tire at 150....and you are going to have your hands full....before my tune, I hit the limiter in 9/10th of a mile...so I know we have a lot more now...so, I would hope tech inspections for these runs are very good....but, with all that said, I would do it in a heartbeat...lol

In fact, I tried, without success, to do a charity run, at reserve air base here in IN....wouldn't allow it....

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
True statement.....blow a tire at 150....and you are going to have your hands full....before my tune, I hit the limiter in 9/10th of a mile...so I know we have a lot more now...so, I would hope tech inspections for these runs are very good....but, with all that said, I would do it in a heartbeat...lol

In fact, I tried, without success, to do a charity run, at reserve air base here in IN....wouldn't allow it....
doc theres a fellow running a sl600 tt with almost 1000hp at the top gun . he was teched for 185 and ran 191. he was warned not to exceed the tech limit and thenext day ran 198. tech card was pulled no time slip given and asked to leave.
he is now installing 5 point harness and full rollcage to meet the tech for miami.