Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Second Autocross of the Season

Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Autocross of the Season

Damn those Honda Civic Type Rs. I was fourth out of nine on Saturday at River City Community Church in San Antonio. The course was dry, and I ran in the last heat. Here's a link to my next to last run, which was a 46.2 second run. On my last run, I got a 46.1, but I forgot to turn on the camera. The fastest Type R was at 43 seconds.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: Second Autocross of the Season

I just know I would go for the wrong side of some of those cones. It may be more natural actually out there on the course, but it always looks confusing on the videos.
I am curious about your camber settings. Do you increase camber on race days, or make tire changes from what you use on a daily drive? How do your front tires wear on the day to day driving?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The course was tricky in parts (e.g., the third 180 degree turn came up very fast), but that's why I walk the course several times before the event. However, running in the third heat erases many of those memories. I DNFed the first run by blowing past the cones at the third 180 degree turn. I have not changed from the stock camber settings. I have the camber bolts and mean to install them, but I haven't done it yet. I use the Bridgestone R-73 as my daily tires. I don't drive the car that many miles during the week; so they are wearing well so far. By running 17s in the front and 18s in the rear, I'll save on tires when I need to replace them. Thanks for the questions.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

I wouldn't use the adjustable bolts to decrease camber unless you have the K-macs and intend to dial in more camber at each race. I was wearing tires down badly on the inside while still having plenty of tread on the outside of my front wheels so I installed the febi eccentric bolts on the front end and thus reduced the negative camber. (search for: DIY eccentric bolt install) This worked well and my tires wore evenly for every day driving. However, up at the Dragon this past fall I went into the ditch and messed up my suspension. I did not give it any thought until I played back as to what happened other than going too damn fast for that turn, but my front end went off the pavement first. Classic understeer from my perspective. What I'm getting at is your car will handle better with the factory set up, vice using eccentric bolts to get better tire longevity. The K-macs make the adjustment a little easier, but you will need to adjust toe in as well if you mess with the camber for racing and then try to dial it back for less aggressive daily driving on the roadway.

I have a set of Bridgestone Portenza RE 11 on a separate set of rims which in the past I had put on the car for our fall Dragon get together, but this past year I stayed with the all season Michelins Pilot Sports AS3+. The Bridgestones had aged quit a bit so I was thinking to behave myself on the roads and the Michelins which have always given me good control would be just fine. My mistake!