Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Battery Replacement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery Replacement

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Tested mine too... when it failed the "start" test going to work.. it was history.. LOL.
LOL! That is what i should have done...

Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine was '04 OEM.. so I had no cause for doubt.. LOL.

And good news... Just scored my 74mm throttle body for $65 total.. off to look at gasket O rings..

Guess I should at least thank Red Dog for being an inspiration..LOL.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

I was at the game...that is if you're talking about the Army All American. As I was pulling into the parking lot I noticed some teens standing around, I overheard one say "oh, look at that crossfire!" Oh, sorry, we're talking about batteries...Champion from Walmart, I've had it for about a couple of months. Not too pricey, perfect fit, about $119 if I remember right... Hope you enjoyed San Antonio

Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by coolx
I was at the game...that is if you're talking about the Army All American. As I was pulling into the parking lot I noticed some teens standing around, I overheard one say "oh, look at that crossfire!" Oh, sorry, we're talking about batteries...Champion from Walmart, I've had it for about a couple of months. Not too pricey, perfect fit, about $119 if I remember right... Hope you enjoyed San Antonio
Just about to leave!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been posting battery questions on the "replacing batteries" thread in the convertible section. I used the Forum search feature, and really found it to be very lame in helping me find proper threads.
I found this thread by using Google.
I'm very interested in seeing what the original batteries looked like. Can someone post a photo?
Thanks.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by West Peterson
I've been posting battery questions on the "replacing batteries" thread in the convertible section. I used the Forum search feature, and really found it to be very lame in helping me find proper threads.
I'm very interested in seeing what the original batteries looked like. Can someone post a photo?
Thanks.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Thanks.
Well here are two more pictures of my old battery.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0073.jpg (574.6 KB, 47 views)
DSC_0074.jpg (563.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

Perfect!! Thank you. It looks as though, for the purposes of future judging in an original class, all I need to do is reproduce the Varga label.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Perfect!! Thank you. It looks as though, for the purposes of future judging in an original class, all I need to do is reproduce the Varga label.
Here is a closeup of the label. The label size is 4.1" x 1.35".
Copy this to photo paper, scaling it to size and it will look hunky dory. I did not get the picture too square so you would have to trim it to parallel sides.

Attached Images
DSC_0080.jpg (378.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, 180. I'm going to also make one from scratch, and will post if it turns out well. Also, thanks for the dimensions.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular

For anyone interested, here is a reproduction battery tag. It is about as exact as you can get with respect to typestyles and logos.
I couldn't quite tell from 180's photos if the sideways number was blue or black. Let me know if it's supposed to be black.
Thanks.

Attached Images
Battery Label.jpg (459.7 KB, 158 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Battery Label.pdf (249.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 PM

For anyone interested, here is a reproduction battery tag. It is about as exact as you can get with respect to typestyles and logos.
I couldn't quite tell from 180's photos if the sideways number was blue or black. Let me know if it's supposed to be black.
Thanks.
Hello,

I just purchased my father's 06 crossfire roadster that has an original battery which works just fine. The car has only 27K but I notice the batter is leaking a bit, so I need to replace. Do you know where I can get as good a battery that came originally in the car? It's almost 9 yrs old....I can get an interstate battery for about $115 here in Houston. Appreciate any info.

thanks

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM

I remember a big write up someone did on batteries that did a profile on almost all of them available in the U.S. Advance had one that was made by Varta, but was black case instead of White. That document should be on the forum somewhere.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Forum Regular

Yes, the Advance Gold that I just bought looks identical, except for the color. Go to their website, order online for in-store pick up, but not before going to retailmenot.com to get a coupon code that will get you 30% off ($50 max).

Last edited by West Peterson; 01-23-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Like West said... The Autocraft Gold is made by Johnson Controls, which makes the Varta. Vartas are only sold in Europe.

Here's link to the less expensive non-agm style:

AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 48, 730 CCA 48H6: Search no more for the best Battery at Advance Auto Parts

Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Forum Regular

I apologize. I said I bought an AGM from Advance Auto. It was in fact the one that Syfi mentioned, that is identical in size and appearance (except for color) to the Varta.
I edited my previous statement.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 AM

F.Y.I. - A word of extreme caution.... according to the most recent March 2015 ConsumerReports. DO NOT buy the latest version of the Duralast Platinum with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology sold @ AutoZone.

Here's the direct quote from the article:
A Pricey High-Tech Battery Lets Us Down
In our latest round of car-battery tests, one model failed miserably: the Duralast Platinum with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology.
Battery makers tout AGM batteries as more capable of meeting the ever-hungrier electrical needs of modern cars—powering everything from infotainment systems to the fuel-saving engine stop-start feature. Our past tests have found AGM longevity claims to be generally true. The downside is that they can cost quite a bit more than conventional lead-acid batteries. The group size 48 Duralast Platinum AGM let us down. Not only did it trail other 48-sized AGMs but it also couldn’t even match the performance of less expensive conventional batteries of the same size. That was especially surprising because other Duralast batteries, sold at AutoZone, have earned CR Best Buy status in our Ratings. Our industry-standard battery-life test—which involves repeated charge and discharge cycles—proved the $165 Duralast AGM’s downfall. We require 15 weeks of good performance. One of our tested Duralast Platinum AGMs failed our life test at just five weeks. Another bit the dust after six weeks. To double-check, we bought a few more of the same AGM batteries, and one of those failed after three weeks. What’s more, our tests of Duralast AGM group 65 batteries had four units fail before 12 weeks. Buyer beware with this new battery.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Djo

Originally Posted by syfi
F.Y.I. - A word of extreme caution.... according to the most recent March 2015 ConsumerReports. DO NOT buy the latest version of the Duralast Platinum with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology sold @ AutoZone.

Here's the direct quote from the article:

What's the best battery replacement for the SRT six and where can I get it looking for an AGM battery

Old 09-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I got this one, very satisfied :
Search Page

( it is a Deka battery manufactured by East Penn )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-03-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My son works at Oriellys.. so I got this for about $110.. Doing nicely in the roadster..

Super Start Platinum 48PLT - Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement