Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

How can I disable the TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How can I disable the TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

When disabling TPMS is wiring in behind dome light is that for the roadster as well.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, same for roadster

Old 05-16-2015, 07:16 PM

Thanks Rudy!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the DIY! Mission accomplished.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks to forum member bluecoupe for posting this link to a clear "how to" with pictures . . .

https://howtune.com/articles/134-dis...sler-crossfire

Just re-posting it in this thread . . .

Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Default Re: How can I disable the TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoing System)

Originally Posted by bmorgan
You can put a small piece of black electrical tape over the light.
This is a wonderful solution to a TPM system that rarely works.Much bette than looking at tape. At 62 I have lived without TPMS most of my life and can feel a low tire but I check them monthly.
For me it was simple to just disconnect the small connector and not move any wires because I have never used the garage door opener. I did leave a little a print copy of your instructions in the SRT6 glovebox with a note for the next owner as an option if they want to reactivate the opener. I don't race this car so I feel safe.
The TPMS system is another Government requirement for those that don't have too much sense. Another aggravation!

Attached Images
Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Easiest way to disable it is to remove the wire from pin 2 (red highlight) and put it in the empty place of pin 6 (blue highligh). This will completely disable it and you will no longer have the light illuminate on the instrument cluster. This will not affect the HomeLink in any way so you don't lose that functionality.

********************* ATTENTION!!!!! *********************

The highlight colors are NOT the wire colors. They are only there to highlight where the pin is from the factory and where its to go to disable the TPMS. The ONLY wire being changed is the grey wire with the yellow stripe (20GY/YL).

To get at the TPMS/HomeLink connector, just remove the dome light and you can see the wires going into it. Remove the connector, use a pick or other fine tipped tool and depress the top of pin 2 so it will slide out. Push the pin back into the connector in the 6th position and reinstall the connector. Reinstall the dome light and you are finished.

Awesome, I'll need to do this.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2017, 05:12 PM

Great write up!

It was an easy job.
Here are 2 pictures of wire #2 in slot #6. I hope it helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9788.JPG copy.jpg (183.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_9787.JPG copy.jpg (171.3 KB, 93 views)
The following users liked this post:
MDKEEHN13 (05-09-2023)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a way for safety to know that you've disabled your tpms?

Last edited by alexdc; 08-01-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM

There is a tiny plug connector located above the cabin dome light assembly that controls the TPMS and the garage door opener. Just drop the light fixture and pull it apart. It kills both systems.
I don't have a garage door and the TPMS system was a perpetual pain in the ___ when you live in a Kentucky climate.
Note there is a thread on the forum from one of our Master Mechanics that tells you a single wire to remove and put it into a vacant opening to kill the TPMS only but I'm tooo blind to see those little tiny wires anymore. Both methods will work and I just check my tires once a month now instead of every time that light comes on.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 PM

I had my dome light assembly off this weekend, as I was replacing the auto dim rear view mirror in my '04, and had remembered about this little trick that I had read about on here about disabling the TPMS light. However, even though I have read time after time that it is such an easy job, I simply could NOT get the wire to slide out of the harness, even after using 2 or 3 different "pin like" items to depress the top of the pin. Even with the rear view mirror, I ended up having to cut & splice the wires, using wire connectors, like I was swapping out radios in my High School hot rod. I was also a bit leary, since I DO use the garage door opener feature, as it works great! Maybe someone could post a few pics on how exactly they "press down the top of the pin & pull out the wire".

The following users liked this post:
Buck62 (08-23-2022)
Old 07-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Re: How can I disable the TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoing System)

[QUOTE=rcompart;537700]Easiest way to disable it is to remove the wire from pin 2 (red highlight) and put it in the empty place of pin 6 (blue highligh). This will completely disable it and you will no longer have the light illuminate on the instrument cluster. This will not affect the HomeLink in any way so you don't lose that functionality.
********************* ATTENTION!!!!! *********************
The highlight colors are NOT the wire colors. They are only there to highlight where the pin is from the factory and where its to go to disable the TPMS. The ONLY wire being changed is the grey wire with the yellow stripe (20GY/YL).

Last edited by Joe_Lukeman; 07-14-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: I figured out the answer to my question
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 04Crosfire
I had my dome light assembly off this weekend, as I was replacing the auto dim rear view mirror in my '04, and had remembered about this little trick that I had read about on here about disabling the TPMS light. However, even though I have read time after time that it is such an easy job, I simply could NOT get the wire to slide out of the harness, even after using 2 or 3 different "pin like" items to depress the top of the pin. Even with the rear view mirror, I ended up having to cut & splice the wires, using wire connectors, like I was swapping out radios in my High School hot rod. I was also a bit leary, since I DO use the garage door opener feature, as it works great! Maybe someone could post a few pics on how exactly they "press down the top of the pin & pull out the wire".
A little trick I learned is to push the wire in first. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know. There is a lock "tab" on the metal terminal that sometimes puts tension against the plastic connector. (That prevents the wire from inadvertently dislodging from the connector.) Push the wire in, then use a small flat-bladed screwdriver to depress the metal terminal while pulling the wire out. You will notice a square "window" where the shiny terminal appears in the connector; that's where you will want to depress. From experience, it's easier to remove the #1 pin first; that gives you a little more room to grab the gray/yellow wire. Sounds complicated, but you will slap yourself in the forehead once you achieve success. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

We need to rename this thread "How to hack your car into lower resale value."

Or

How to deceive a potential new owner."

Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
We need to rename this thread "How to hack your car into lower resale value."

Or

How to deceive a potential new owner."
I strongly disagree with those thoughts / opinions on this subject . . .

Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Thanks. That's what i did. The tape is really unnoticeable . The light would not go out even though the tire pressure was correct. The hell with it. Just check the pressure every 3 or 4 weeks.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

See post #72 in this thread.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by johnnykelly
Thanks. That's what i did. The tape is really unnoticeable . The light would not go out even though the tire pressure was correct. The hell with it. Just check the pressure every 3 or 4 weeks.
So . . . You put a piece of black tape over the light?? That was not the purpose of this thread . . . SEE POST #3 in this thread. You can also follow this link for detailed instructions with photos . . .

https://howtune.com/articles/134-dis...sler-crossfire

DO IT RIGHT!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 PM

Another "Thank You" to Rudy, from another satisfied customer! No more low tire pressure idiot light!

Old 10-28-2019, 03:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

White connector
I made this modification today as the TPMS light has decided it needs to be on constantly. It probably needs new batteries inside the tires but this component does not provide enough value to justify its overhead.

The only difficult part of doing this is removing the pin from the white connector. Here's what you need to do. Press a jeweler's screwdriver against the pin via the larger, lower rectangular opening. Pulling on the grey/yellow wire that'll allow you to extract it just enough so you can fit a pick underneath the pin (through that same opening) and force it out the rest of the way.

Quick Reply: How can I disable the TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)