Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

ABS Light & BAS/ESP Light & spoiler stuck up & top will not go up

Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy ABS Light & BAS/ESP Light & spoiler stuck up & top will not go up

Hello everyone, I have searched the boards and have not found the same combination of symptoms as mine has. ABS Light & BAS/ESP Light & spoiler stuck up & top will not go up.

1) I am not fully suspecting ABS issues because the lights & spoiler issue happened just after the car was started. From what I read the ABS tests itself at 12 MPH so even if it were a bad wheel sensor I wasn't moving yet so the test did not happen.

2) Maybe a non responsive wheel sensor at start-up can cause the ABS light on when not moving yet.

3) I am not suspecting the BAS/ESP system being the initial cause because the car can be driven at full speed. The manual says there may be limited engine power if this system malfunctions. Manual does say this system is automatically disabled if the ABS faults.

4) It appears the BAS/ESP can cause the spoiler to stay up.

5) The top was down when all of this happened and it would not go up via the switch. Top was no brainer just put it up manually.

6) I have tried the Synchronizing ESP turn left & right procedure. No fix.

7) I don't suspect low battery voltage, the battery is new and measures 14.2 running/13.2 car off.

8) The roof, BAS/ESP, ABS and spoiler fuses all good.

9) I don't suspect a spoiler position sensor.

10) I see where the transmission control module senses some BAS/ESP functions.

11) Driving the care a few times has not cleared the lights nor has disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

12) None of the switches that control the traction control or spoiler work the item.

Do any of you see the connection between all of these items? #2 seems to make the most sense but I am not familiar with the system nor have I found a thread with these exact symptoms. Maybe something in the dash supplying power to the switches?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Default Additional symptom, found the parking lights & fog lights flashing

Additional symptom, car was sitting in my driveway 3 hours after I last drove it. I found the parking lights & fog lights flashing as if the panic button was pushed on a remote. I am curtain they were not flashing when I went into the house. The remotes were sitting on a counter in the house so I know there is no way they got bumped or something.

Strange......

Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: ABS Light & BAS/ESP Light & spoiler stuck up & top will not go up

Your scenario sounds just like mine. Other than coupe and no flashing lights. Parked the car one evening, next morning upon starting the car spoiler went up and ABS /BAS lit up. Car functions perfectly outside of spoiler and no ABS/BAS functions. I've replaced all 4 wheel sensors with known good used ones. Battery showed plenty of voltage, and eventually went dead about 8 months later. Can't see letting dealer throw parts at it, I can do that if I ever decide I want my spoiler functioning again.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I hate to say it, but look for water intrusion under the floor mat (where your feet rest) both sides of the cabin.
Open the box with the PTCM/RCB/BCM and look for water in there.
Look also in the passenger rear fender in the trunk for water intrusion.

Several items you bring up suggest the car thinks it's moving when it's not.
But the flashing lights suggest a security module/skreem issue.

I'm left wondering if something is screwing up the CAN bus, like water intrusion on a module somewhere.

This one sounds like one for Rudy....

Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I hate to say it, but look for water intrusion under the floor mat (where your feet rest) both sides of the cabin.
Open the box with the PTCM/RCB/BCM and look for water in there.
Look also in the passenger rear fender in the trunk for water intrusion.

Several items you bring up suggest the car thinks it's moving when it's not.
But the flashing lights suggest a security module/skreem issue.

I'm left wondering if something is screwing up the CAN bus, like water intrusion on a module somewhere.

This one sounds like one for Rudy....
Yup, you said what I was afraid to write.... some outside element messing with things.

1) Looks like the BCM/PCM/RCM are under the hood pass side with lotsa wires heading into pass side compartment toward the TCM.

2) TCM is under pass side footwell

3) Central Locking Pump/Security System Module is in the trunk pass side under the carpet cover.

4) SKREEM is behind the instrument cluster

Several diagnostic/operation descriptions talk about the CAN buss and twisted pair wiring so this sounds like the puter system communication lines and they go everywhere.

Now the time needed to look at this stuff.........

Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Just keep in mind (and I'm speaking with 30 years in electronic troubleshooting) that the weirdest and most confusing symptoms can be caused by a loose ground wire connection or too low or too high voltage - simple things that are often easy to fix, but hard to isolate.

Your car sounds like it has several modules damaged - and that is unlikely. That is why I think the CAN bus is messed up or power being fed to a module or modules may be bad.

Taking the cover off that box next to the battery is easy, and pulling the floor mat up is not too hard, but getting to the module in the trunk is (I think) a bit frustrating.

Just for grins and giggles, follow the battery ground cable to it's end at the chassis and make sure it's clean and tight. Anywhere you go in the car, notice the tightness and cleanliness of wires and lugs on the various ground bolts. I have had (in other cars) ground nuts work loose causing all sorts of troubles.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Just keep in mind (and I'm speaking with 30 years in electronic troubleshooting) that the weirdest and most confusing symptoms can be caused by a loose ground wire connection or too low or too high voltage - simple things that are often easy to fix, but hard to isolate.

Your car sounds like it has several modules damaged - and that is unlikely. That is why I think the CAN bus is messed up or power being fed to a module or modules may be bad.

Taking the cover off that box next to the battery is easy, and pulling the floor mat up is not too hard, but getting to the module in the trunk is (I think) a bit frustrating.

Just for grins and giggles, follow the battery ground cable to it's end at the chassis and make sure it's clean and tight. Anywhere you go in the car, notice the tightness and cleanliness of wires and lugs on the various ground bolts. I have had (in other cars) ground nuts work loose causing all sorts of troubles.
Great advice! And for electronics guys we tend to dive in deeper looking for things when it can be the easier fixes like loose grounds.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Looks like I'll need to read the codes........

Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 PM

It had a wheel speed sensor code, a controller antilock brake invalid signal code and a steering angle malfunction code. So after a new CAB installed but still broke then DX as a wheel sensor also. The sensor was lost in overnight shipping. A second shipment showed up but then the repair tech had a death in the family..... but now I am back rollin' again.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem, abs,bas, spoiler up and flasing spoiler light. Trac. Control doesnt work either, would greatly appreciate answers. Beautiful and so want the top down

Old 08-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MDKEEHN13
I have the same problem, abs,bas, spoiler up and flasing spoiler light. Trac. Control doesnt work either, would greatly appreciate answers. Beautiful and so want the top down
Mine did that so I bought a new battery. Took care of my problems. The top still won't go down though in my coupe.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 553 Likes on 465 Posts
Question Re: ABS Light & BAS/ESP Light & spoiler stuck up & top will not go up

Did this all happen at once or did it occur over time?
Any codes set? They are the first things to check for in my opinion.
To make a short story long look at KDW4Him's last post above.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-09-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
The top still won't go down though in my coupe.
If we see you with your top down we'll send help. Immediately.

The following users liked this post:
Roshun (05-13-2023)
Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Beautiful and so want the top down
This will cover the top operation till you get the other fixed...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

Old 08-12-2015, 10:21 PM

Did you try the reset the steering wheel position sensor procedure in the owners manual?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading all the post here and those at other sites (including those for SLK's ) this seems to be a well documented failure. However, I have yet to find one where the root cause has been ID'ed. I also experienced while driving my '07 ltd roadster the "Air Bag, ABS & BAS/ESP fault lights illuminating and the Spoiler extending. This resulted in the red pilot light in the manual Spoiler control switch to begin blinking. Pressing the spoiler switch did not retract the spoiler as it normally should have. After turning off the engine and turning the key to the run position, the spoiler switch pilot lite was no longer blinking and pressing it retraced the spoiler. Starting the engine showed the Air Bag fault light no longer lit, but the ABS & BAS/ESP still on. The next day when I started my XF the fault lights where no longer illuminated and all appeared normal. After a short drive the fault once again appeared. Now, after turning the engine off and waiting a few minutes before turning the key to the run position the spoiler can be retracted resulting in the Air Bag light going off, but the ABS & BAS/ESP fault lights remaining on.

My OBD scanner lacks the ability to read the type of faults set by Air Bag, ABS, BAS/ESP, et al so my next step will to find a reasonable priced alternative to obtain them.

If anyone has found the root cause we they be so kind as to share with the rest of us.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 AM

After reading all the post here and those at other sites (including those for SLK's ) this seems to be a well documented failure. However, I have yet to find one where the root cause has been ID'ed. I also experienced while driving my '07 ltd roadster the "Air Bag, ABS & BAS/ESP fault lights illuminating and the Spoiler extending. This resulted in the red pilot light in the manual Spoiler control switch to begin blinking. Pressing the spoiler switch did not retract the spoiler as it normally should have. After turning off the engine and turning the key to the run position, the spoiler switch pilot lite was no longer blinking and pressing it retraced the spoiler. Starting the engine showed the Air Bag fault light no longer lit, but the ABS & BAS/ESP still on. The next day when I started my XF the fault lights where no longer illuminated and all appeared normal. After a short drive the fault once again appeared. Now, after turning the engine off and waiting a few minutes before turning the key to the run position the spoiler can be retracted resulting in the Air Bag light going off, but the ABS & BAS/ESP fault lights remaining on.

My OBD scanner lacks the ability to read the type of faults set by Air Bag, ABS, BAS/ESP, et al so my next step will to find a reasonable priced alternative to obtain them.

If anyone has found the root cause we they be so kind as to share with the rest of us. "OK the root cause is a defective ABS Wheel Speed Sensor. In my case Code 1132 Right Rear Sensor Low Signal & 1131 Right Rear Sensor Erratic Signal. " Found a Bosch Certified Auto Repair Center that could read ABS, ESP/BAS codes and did so for 1/3 the cost of the Chrysler Dealer.

Last edited by Geechee1962; 12-17-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Root Cause:
Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no "single" root cause.. you are dealing with multiple integrated systems. The lucky one's have just had a wheel speed sensor go bad.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Geechee1962

OBD over the counter scanners only read generic codes. Air Bag, ABS, BAS/ESP are all OEM specific. Some companies make OBD readers to read some specific codes but the Crossfire is typically not one included in the "reads all mfr. codes" type readers.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 PM

"OK the root cause is a defective ABS Wheel Speed Sensor. In my case the Right Rear indicated by Code 1132 Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Low Signal & 1131 Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Erratic Signal. " Found a Bosch Certified Auto Repair Center that could read ABS, ESP/BAS codes and did so for 1/4 the cost of the Chrysler Dealer. Explains why the ABS, Air Bag & ESP/BAS lights are set on. All three are subject to questionable operation when one or more of the Wheel Speed Sensors are not providing the correct wave form.

Quick Reply: ABS Light & BAS/ESP Light & spoiler stuck up & top will not go up