Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2005 convertible top will not operate

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 convertible top will not operate

I have an 05 crossfire convertible. Some 10 days ago while trying to lower the top, after unlatching the roof at the windshield (windows went down) and pushing the top up some 8 inches or so as I I usually do , I then depressed the top down side of the control switch. I then heard the usual sound I hear as the process begins ie the hydraulic pump starting the rear window up sequence. The rear window unlatched and then the process stopped. The sound of the hydraulic pump stopped. I tried to reverse the process ie start the close top sequence. The rear window latched but would not lock. I was able to get the car to the dealer who was able to lock the rear window. It was Sat. and so I arranged to bring the car back the following Monday. At that time, the dealer ushered me into the shop area and the mechanic showed me that by depressing the top down button, he could unlatch the rear window but had to help raise it manually to get it to where the next sequence of events would start ie to raise the hard boot cover. When that sequence started, the hard cover began to raise but not smoothly. The hydraulic pump was laboring and the operation was stopped. I was advised that the estimated cost to fix the problem would be X $ or about one third the value of the car. He said it needed a new hydraulic pump. Since that time I have been researching the matter on the Crossfire Forum and have visited several repair facilities including Mercedes Benz. I found one garage where the owner took the time to check in the boot (found an odor of hydraulic fluid) and under the car by the rear wheel on the passenger side where he found "wetness" that he thought was hydraulic fluid. My request to other Crossfire Forum users is if they can shed any light on what might be my problem here and how to fix it. Also, although the garage that found the leaking fluid is now working to fix the problem, from what they have told me so far, I am losing confidence they will be able to do so. As such, can anyone recommend a repair garage in the Sarasota Florida area that could handle this problem? Many thanks Glenn Peterson

Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 2005 convertible top will not operate

From everything you listed, sounds like a fractured hydraulic tube to me, somewhere between the pump and the rear bow cylinders :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (95.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fluid reservoir is on the driver's side toward the back of the trunk. You need to take off the liner and see if it's full. It's clear plastic so you can spot it easily. If it's full it's the pump, if it's not there's a leak some where. Of course it could be the seals around the piston itself. Had that happen to me on my old Lebaron convertible. That was back in 2005 and it was $700 to fix it then.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 PM

For that kind of dough I would operate the top manually.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM

Hi,I am on the other coast in St. lucie West. Having mayor problems with my brand new roof. Dealer charged me an arm and a leg for repairs that seemed to multiply by the day and I still can not operate the roof other than manually. I really wold like to find a good independent crossfire mechanic. By the way we were told that it would cost almost $5,000 to replace motor to operate roof. Please post if you find a good mechanic, t.i.a, Sara

Last edited by itsmesara; 12-23-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Another answer is having the hydraulic cylinders rebuilt. I have read here in this forum about how he uses newer better pressure seals etc and the price was good. That would leave you or your mechanic to R&R the cyls. I 'd try it myself....
I just sent my BCM; body control module out to be fixed, i never thought I would be doing stuff like that but this forum is an amazing source.
Each repair you know your Crossfire better, and it helps to have something else to drive and a garage.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmesara
Hi,I am on the other coast in St. lucie West. Having mayor problems with my brand new roof. Dealer charged me an arm and a leg for repairs that seemed to multiply by the day and I still can not operate the roof other than manually. I really wold like to find a good independent crossfire mechanic. By the way we were told that it would cost almost $5,000 to replace motor to operate roof. Please post if you find a good mechanic, t.i.a, Sara
The $5000 number is nonsense, the only reason they would quote that would be the fact that they have NO idea what the problem is - they are trying to get you to give up - or so it sounds to me.

Your post does not tell me/us enough to even get started. So, you say you have a new top; ok. Why was it replaced? Second, we need to know just what is it doing - tops will refuse to move for even small reasons - like a bad microswitch.

If you unlatch the top from the frame and push it up, do the windows go down?
If so, what happens when you press the button?

Let's see if we can help you!

Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Glen, you probably have a leaky cylinder and along w that air has gotten in the top hyd system. Verify by locating source of leaky fluid, suspect cyl or line immediately above that, and see how diff it is to remove. It'll be tough to find clear fluid, I would need my headlight, glasses, and a magnifying glass and clean tissues to learn as much as I could, but Im approaching geezer status and need to see clearly w lots of light.
I would not be a fan of just fixing one cyl, there may be impurities in entire sys and the pump. I read where the charge was 250 to rebuild all the cyls.
Once cylinders are secure you can bleed pump sys and get air out.
Me, ...... I would think seriously about raising the top manually. It does require a 10 mm open end wrench and an allen wrench, but I have raised & lowered my top manually and its feasable, but much less sexy at the drive in.

Last edited by boxdin; 12-23-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 AM

Exactly where is this switch that you say is by the passengers right ear?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutright
Exactly where is this switch that you say is by the passengers right ear?
The post you are responding in is four years old, with their problems they are likely to have sold their Crossfires and moved on. This thread is dead.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

It is here!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire Top Switch 2.jpg (726.8 KB, 18 views)