Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Possible SKREEM module... cont. from another thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Possible SKREEM module.. cont. from another thread

Originally Posted by deeman13
I too replaced the casing on my key fob and then itaccidently fell on the floor and broke a part could this be the issue??

I too can take the battery cable off and it will start fortwo second and shut down X2 and then no crank at all. All your post are very helpful thanks

I am dealer bound and am not going to be happy to have change the SKREEM
If the fob fell apart then the chip could fall out. If it fell out, the car would not start for sure.
If you have another key try it.
You can see the chip in this post.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-16-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If the fob fell apart then the chip could fall out. If it fell out the car would not start for sure.
If you have another key try it.
^^ this. Seems very plausible it's the keys chip if the skreem like symptoms started right after the drop. Deff try another set. Crossing fingers for you!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope this was very recent.. that chip is somewhere in the area of where your fob fell. I'd put money on this one.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Ok, My Brother Savers

I am looking in the SKREEM section trying to find out how fix my fixes. the deeper i get the more i get myself in trouble ( I dont blame you guys) you have a great source of knowledge and help.
I am trying to understand my best way of fixing /attacking this problem SKREEM.. I have had the 2 starts and dead and pull the battery cable to clear the memory and retry starting - same results. Which lead me here with the deepest of Ah Sh$^ feeling. Once again I and looking for you to pull me out of this hole (wish i never changed the radio). What is done id done.
Help my savers-please
Thanks like always

Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems the dealer has been the only sure fire Skreem fix. If it's gone south there really is no other options that I'm aware of. If you haven't disturbed the wire to the ring on the ignition switch that reads the chip in the fob.. it's probably time for a roll back and trip to the dealer..

Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by redfire2005
Ok, My Brother Savers

I am looking in the SKREEM section trying to find out how fix my fixes. the deeper i get the more i get myself in trouble ( I dont blame you guys) you have a great source of knowledge and help.
I am trying to understand my best way of fixing /attacking this problem SKREEM.. I have had the 2 starts and dead and pull the battery cable to clear the memory and retry starting - same results. Which lead me here with the deepest of Ah Sh$^ feeling. Once again I and looking for you to pull me out of this hole (wish i never changed the radio). What is done id done.
Help my savers-please
Thanks like always
Did your problems start after changing the radio??? I just looked through 474 posts to see if I could find anything similar post radio swap but couldn't find anything :/. MrMiata is sadly probably right for almost all cases of the SKREEM.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM

The failure could be due to one of many part failures. The SKREEM is just a single component of a very complex system.

OPERATION
The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) has the following functions: receiving and evaluating the Radio Frequency (RF) keyless entry remote signal, actuation of door locks in conjunction with the Central Locking Pump/Security System Module, and enabling the vehicle theft security alarm with confirmation via the turn signals. When the RKE transmitter is operated, an RF signal is transmitted. If the SKREEM recognizes the RF signal as valid, it actuates the Central Locking Pump/Security System Module through the Body Control Module. The vehicle is then locked or unlocked through the power locks system. Connected to the SKREEM is a Sentry Key Antenna Ring which surrounds the ignition lock cylinder. When the ignition is switched on, the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is supplied with power. A data block is transmitted inductively via the Sentry Key Antenna Ring to the SKREEM and then on to the Powertrain Control Module. If the antenna ring data block content is invalid or if vehicle battery power is too low to build up enough power for the antenna ring, the Powertrain Control Module will not receive the proper signal. This is displayed with the message “Start Error” in the Instrument Cluster.

YIKES!!!!
The failure of the fob opening the doors and the first line in my quote from the Service Manual (in red) should fit the symptom of the SKREEM being the culprit.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:30 PM

This is displayed with the message “Start Error” in the Instrument Cluster. I didn't get this message and my keys still set the alarm off. Anything else, the tow is on the way to take it to the Dealship (ay-sh^&)

Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular

Update 11/21/13. Picked up my car yesterday from dealership, slip states that no start was caused by internal SKREEM error, Part #5099541AA door lock module, which was covered under warranty. However can't believe that dealership quoted me $750-$800 to fix w/o warranty. I had to argue w/them to have part covered. Noticed that TPMS light came on while driving it home, but suspect that is due to cold weather and tires probably need more air. Just wanted to update everyone in case you have similiar problems with car not starting (no crank). Thanks everyone for all your help.
[QUOTE=autumnmass;766806]
Originally Posted by Kolme
Autumn, do you recall if when you tried to start the car if this series of events occurred: it first started and then died after about a second, it started a second time and died after one second, and on the third attempt it would not crank at all.

If so, this could very well be a skreem issue as described previously. So your dealer could very well be correct. However 800 seems steep. In the past the whole thing put me down about 500 or so through the dealer. So you're being overcharged a few hundred bucks.

Keep us updated!![/QUOTE

Unfortunately the series of events didn't happen in my case., My situation was I drove the car on a Saturday, went out to start her on a Thursday and she wouldn't start (heard no sounds, one time faint crank, but did hear a whining noise behind air vents. The dealer is ordering the SKREEM part today hopefully it will be here in a couple of days. I don't want them to have my baby on the lot too long. With a new SKREEM installed I was wondering if both my key FOBs will still work. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm hoping the code that was read was correct.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by autumnmass; 11-21-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM

Update 11/23/13
News not good; Dealership and Chrysler can't find problem. They have been working on this problems since Wednesday and have know clue - just racking up the dollars, might have to take out a loan. Are they stupid or can the problem(s) go that deep?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 AM

Just replaced Skreem module in my 05 SRT-6. Hope this info helps somebody. My car would not start after work, very rainy day just would crank for half a second then nothing all dash lights on. Checked RCM Module and replaced because relay points were really burnt. Still no Start. Then checked lock module in back to find about 3 in of water back there. Found used one for cheap. Still no start. Also tried the battery charger with ignition on thing. So tried to buy Skreem module Its Siemens 1708201826 its part behind dash. Mercedes wanted about $400 Chrysler $900 so tried all my Mercedes dealers and a few mail order places and they will only sell for a Mercedes. Would not sell to me. When looked up on Chrysler Web sights There is part No 5099540AA $900 AND 5099541AA $140 Door lock Module, but they are both the same part in the diagram. Then I saw AUTUMNMASS REPLY with the part No.541AA fix his car. THANKS. So I called a Chrysler Mail Order house and asked if the cheaper one is a reconditioned module. He said yes but didn"t really sound sure. He asked my Vin No. then told me it would work, but couldn't sell it because anti theft devise. Any how ordered from Factory OEM Parts in Tampa Florida. They asked Vin and Mileage then sent it.$145 Its the SIEMENS 1708201826 Plugged it in and car started. YEA. A Mercedes mechanic told me to turn to On then wait few seconds to program itself before engaging starter. Then had to program key to unlock doors. So it back on the road now.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM

12-16-2013
Red 2005 still in deanship, replaced skrem and still wont start. They have an engineer in town for another problem but they are trying to get him on mine. Now going on six weeks with know idea of what the problem is.
I asked about a car they said sure and they would let me rent it for 30 a day. 6 weeks time 30 a day...

shaking my head ............

Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Yes the problem stated with the replacement of the radio, and yes it was put back in to take it out of the equation.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 AM

My issue turned out to be the key. Should have never messed with the cover. Luckily I had dealer get the key first before they they told me it was the SKEEM. Thanks all for your help

Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Any of you guys that have replaced the SKREEM module have your old one? Might be worth looking into to reprogram for used use.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by NPB CROSSFIRE
Just replaced Skreem module in my 05 SRT-6. Hope this info helps somebody. My car would not start after work, very rainy day just would crank for half a second then nothing all dash lights on. Checked RCM Module and replaced because relay points were really burnt. Still no Start. Then checked lock module in back to find about 3 in of water back there. Found used one for cheap. Still no start. Also tried the battery charger with ignition on thing. So tried to buy Skreem module Its Siemens 1708201826 its part behind dash. Mercedes wanted about $400 Chrysler $900 so tried all my Mercedes dealers and a few mail order places and they will only sell for a Mercedes. Would not sell to me. When looked up on Chrysler Web sights There is part No 5099540AA $900 AND 5099541AA $140 Door lock Module, but they are both the same part in the diagram. Then I saw AUTUMNMASS REPLY with the part No.541AA fix his car. THANKS. So I called a Chrysler Mail Order house and asked if the cheaper one is a reconditioned module. He said yes but didn"t really sound sure. He asked my Vin No. then told me it would work, but couldn't sell it because anti theft devise. Any how ordered from Factory OEM Parts in Tampa Florida. They asked Vin and Mileage then sent it.$145 Its the SIEMENS 1708201826 Plugged it in and car started. YEA. A Mercedes mechanic told me to turn to On then wait few seconds to program itself before engaging starter. Then had to program key to unlock doors. So it back on the road now.

Sorry to question you about this.....did it plug in behind the dash....or inside the door?There was no programing of the module necessary?This a little confusing from the other postings. Thanks,Norm.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 PM

This one is the SKREEM Mercedes part# 170 820 18 26
The expensive one although in the post above they are cheaper if you get a used one recoded.

5099541AA

This one goes in the door.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE=autumnmass;768002]Update 11/21/13. Picked up my car yesterday from dealership, slip states that no start was caused by internal SKREEM error, Part #5099541AA door lock module, which was covered under warranty. However can't believe that dealership quoted me $750-$800 to fix w/o warranty. I had to argue w/them to have part covered. Noticed that TPMS light came on while driving it home, but suspect that is due to cold weather and tires probably need more air. Just wanted to update everyone in case you have similiar problems with car not starting (no crank). Thanks everyone for all your help.

If you don't mind,I will ask you the question I did of "NPB Crossfire"...Did the part they installed go behind the dash or in the door, and did they mention programing it.I had a friend contact a Chrysler parts guy today and told him I needed the"Skreem" parts number.They came up with the same number as yours, but it's a door lock module that goes in the door. Sorry to go on about this. Just trying to clarify. Thanks, Norm.:-)

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 PM

This one is the SKREEM Mercedes part# 170 820 18 26
5099540AA
The expensive one although in the post above they are cheaper if you get a used one recoded.

5099541AA

This one goes in the door.
Then,as I understand it "NPB" plugged it in and didn't have to program it? Is anyone else as confused as I am? :-)

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

NO programming?

Quick Reply: Possible SKREEM module... cont. from another thread