Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Alarm randomly goes off.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm randomly goes off.

Recently purchased 2005 Crossfire Limited Coupe less than 2 weeks ago. About 1 week ago I came home from school and within 30 minutes after I locked the XFire the alarm sounded with exterior lights blinking. Was able to shut off alarm with key fob. About 3 hours later I get a notification that my alarm is going off again in the parking lot while at work. Again I was able to stop the alarm with the key fob. About 5 hours later now it is nearing 3:30AM I wake up to the alarm going off. I was able to stop it from my bedroom window. 5 minutes later same thing. This happened 6 times from 3:30AM-4:15AM. Ended up disconnecting battery so I could sleep let alone the neighborhood. I drove to school and had to park it with the battery disconnected and the doors unlocked because I couldn't lock them. After taking XFire back to dealer they couldn't get the alarm to go off no matter how much they tried the car would just not randomly sound the alarm like it did early in the morning. Thinking everything was ok and maybe the disconnecting/re-connecting of the battery might of reset something, I have now joined the crossfire forum specifically to ask about my problem here. Well now 8 days after the dealer checked out the car I am awoken by my XFire randomly sounding the alarm and exterior lights. I spent no time messing with the key fob and directly went to disconnect the battery again. So now I can't sleep without the thought on my mind that my car is sitting outside UNLOCKED. What should I do now take it to Chrysler or Mercedes-Benz who would know more about my issue.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Alarm randomly goes off.

9 times out of 10 Mercedes wont touch the car. An independent Mercedes repair shop shouldn't have an issue though as this is basically the same as the SLK 320. If I'm not mistaken this has the symptoms of a battery going dead/bad on the alarm module located near the engine bay under the wiper cowl. "Cricket on Crack" search here on the forum brings up plenty. Here is a link to one. (click on the following).

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...es-random.html

I might add too.. it's a 50/50 crap shoot that your Chrysler dealer will actually have a clue on the car also.. Welcome to red headed step child ownership.. LOL

Last edited by Mrmiata; 02-14-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Here's a link to the DIY .pdf file I did on how to replace the alarm batteries ....
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rm-module.html

Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the meantime, you can pull a fuse to prevent the alarm from going off and don't need to touch the battery (won't be able to lock your doors either but oh well)

Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How timely! I have been on vacation for the last month and My crossfire did the same thing while I was gone. I do love this site. So where might a fellow buy these varta batteries? Radio shack doesn't sell them, and which fuse to pull?

I have had BB since 12-07 and this is the first time I have had any issue with her at all. She turned 80,000 miles just before i left for the east coast. It seems like a simple fix with the fantastic tutorial posted here

Go Seahawks!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM

batteries : Varta 55615-303-059 - 3/V150H Battery - 3.6V 150mAh Ni-MH - 3 Pin

The only fuse I see associated with the alarm module is fuse #9

Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Forum Regular

Fuse #9 it was. the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side firewall. That seems to have done the trick for now, Thank You sir for the timely response. The link You posted is for a 3 prong battery 150 mAh as opposed to a 140 mAh. I am no electrician, can this battery be a proper substitute? These things are not in my bailiwick and I would hate to buy the wrong ones.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM

I could find the four prong ones only in England, and they wanted like $50 each for them. The 3 prong one is just fine, I simply built a bridge with solder wick across the negative posts on the board where I had cut the old batteries off and soldered the single negative leg to that.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advise! I'm going to order those right now.

Here are a couple of other relevent threads

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ck-unlock.html

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...f-driving.html

Last edited by 05roadsterguy; 02-19-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Adding links
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Forum Regular

I never did follow up on this thread. So I purchased the 2 Batteries and got them within a week from that source. I then cut open the Siren and removed the board, but it was so corroded by Battery Acid, that it was deemed unfixable, so I bought a new Siren from ECS. I believe they only make a chirping siren now, as I searched long and hard but couldn't find the silent one anymore.

Part # Mfg Part#2198203226

ECS tuning part #ES#1779675

ECS tuning http://www.ecstuning.com/

Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM

My siren has been weak for years no on my 04. Yesterday the fob wouldn't open the car. Opened with the key and the alarm lights started. It didn't stop with the fob or inserting the key. When it stopped I started the car but it quickly died. Then it would not turn the starter at all. Saw in another post to remove fuse #9 to disable the domelight, horn and alarm. The light went off, but the horn and the alarm both still worked. Replaced the fob batteries, no help. Had no tools at work so I called a tow truck. He tried to jump it to no avail. At home I found a post and decided t follow the suggestion to take the 10mm to the negative and disconnected and reconnected the battery. I could not start now since the battery was low. Put on the charger for a few minutes and it started .Drove 38 mi to work where it restarted fine. Did not lock the car. 10 hours later it started and drove home fine. I am going to try replacing the siren next. So glad all of you are there to help figure out these issues. The local dealer quoted $8-900 to replace the SKREEM but it seems the siren is the problem from what I have read here in the forum.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mhmerrick
My siren has been weak for years no on my 04. Yesterday the fob wouldn't open the car. Opened with the key and the alarm lights started. It didn't stop with the fob or inserting the key. When it stopped I started the car but it quickly died. Then it would not turn the starter at all. Saw in another post to remove fuse #9 to disable the domelight, horn and alarm. The light went off, but the horn and the alarm both still worked. Replaced the fob batteries, no help. Had no tools at work so I called a tow truck. He tried to jump it to no avail. At home I found a post and decided t follow the suggestion to take the 10mm to the negative and disconnected and reconnected the battery. I could not start now since the battery was low. Put on the charger for a few minutes and it started .Drove 38 mi to work where it restarted fine. Did not lock the car. 10 hours later it started and drove home fine. I am going to try replacing the siren next. So glad all of you are there to help figure out these issues. The local dealer quoted $8-900 to replace the SKREEM but it seems the siren is the problem from what I have read here in the forum.
Drivers side door sensor and Skreem module have been replaced on mine and the alarm still sounds randomly. Chrysler has told me they found the problem, it a switch in the glove box I guess some anti theft switch. I just want my XFire back. I bought it nearly 70 days ago and it has been in the shop 8 times for a total of about 32 days so far for the alarm issue. I have not been able to have the car for a full week straight.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

First Batteries! I'd feel confident in saying that no one should still have the original battery in their cars now. If you do change it first. Poor performing batteries kill these cars. Don't take it to the dealership unless they have a certified crossfire ( Benz) mechanic. After changing your battery you might then be able to differentiate the symptoms easier. The cricket on crack is solely the alarm siren module. You might have other issues, but as stated if you haven't changed your Battery then you really do not know.

Repairing the alarm module by replacing the batteries inside is fairly easy, but remove it and open it first, before buying the Batteries, because if its been bad a long time the Board may be shot, and then you will just have to buy the alarm /siren anyways, If your not confident cutting open the siren and soldering new batteries inside then just buy the alarm/ siren and replace it. This is easy and the only tricky part is having the right tools including a small puller for the windshield wiper arms.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 PM

I've had my coupe 6 months before it started the same as above, I pulled fuse 9, I can still use the fob for locking, but now have no roof or boot light but the alarm is quiet!!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM

this just happened to me while driving yesterday. first was at work, the alarm went off. next while driving, it started to chirp then i used the keyfob during to stop it. then today it went off sporadically while unlocking the car. kinda embarassing at this point because now it wouldnt shut off immediately when i pressed on the keyfob. so i took out fuse #9 for the mean time and i'll wait until the weekend to take apart and look at the module. sucks i can't lock my doors though.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BEATv1
this just happened to me while driving yesterday. first was at work, the alarm went off. next while driving, it started to chirp then i used the keyfob during to stop it. then today it went off sporadically while unlocking the car. kinda embarassing at this point because now it wouldnt shut off immediately when i pressed on the keyfob. so i took out fuse #9 for the mean time and i'll wait until the weekend to take apart and look at the module. sucks i can't lock my doors though.
cricket on crack is the term used sometimes for this problem. after about 2 months of in and out of the dealer and the Chrysler dealership the problem turned out to be an anti-theft sensor in my glovebox. nearly $2200 in labor and parts just to find the problem. it ended up being under $150 to fix. thank god the dealer stood behind the sale the entire time.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEATv1
Unless you've got water in your trunk affecting the locking unit, I'd start with the alarm horn itself.. there's a separate battery in it that can cause problems when it starts to go.. look up the "cricket on crack" threads that were mentioned, starting with the alarm itself is the easiest to fix before you start tearing apart the glovebox or trunk

Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by rayth
Unless you've got water in your trunk affecting the locking unit, I'd start with the alarm horn itself.. there's a separate battery in it that can cause problems when it starts to go.. look up the "cricket on crack" threads that were mentioned, starting with the alarm itself is the easiest to fix before you start tearing apart the glovebox or trunk
yeah i've been reading the cricket on crack and learned about it. i took out the alarm unit for the meantime. eventually, when im bored, i'll look inside and check the batteries. but now it locks but there's no alarm. (please dont steal my car) someone here brought up the argument saying "who responds to alarms sirens nowadays anyways" and i said, "yeah" lol im just happy it locks again

Last edited by BEATv1; 09-09-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rayth
In the meantime, you can pull a fuse to prevent the alarm from going off and don't need to touch the battery (won't be able to lock your doors either but oh well)
Hi what fuse is it to pull to stop the alarm going off please

Old 07-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam73bonner
Hi what fuse is it to pull to stop the alarm going off please
Read the thread. It is mentioned several times.

(Careful, tho. Fuses moved around over the years and between some models [Base/Limited/SRT] ).
Always remember, there is a somewhat helpful card on the underside of the fuse box cover that describes (somewhat) what each fuse is for.

Quick Reply: Alarm randomly goes off.