Now that you own a crossfire, a starters guide to ownership... - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 PM

Default Now that you own a crossfire, a starters guide to ownership...

Now that you own a crossfire, a starters guide to ownership... Because of some of the posts I have seen over the past four years here are some pointers to make ownership a little less frustrating when an issue arises. As with any mechanical device it will need attention now and then and the same goes for our Crossfires.

1) If you have only one key, buy a second one…right now. Seriously right now, don’t leave your car stranded somewhere just get it on order. http://www.needswings.com EDIT; AND TEST BOTH KEYS IN THE DOOR TO MAKE SURE THE MECHANICS OF THE DOOR LOCK ARE WORKING. We have had reports of batteries going dead and the key not turning the lock release mechanics inside the door.

2) Re-solder the solder joints in your relay control module. Even if they “look OK", just re-solder them. Clean the relay contacts too. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

3) If you suspect a weak/old battery get it replaced. Period. These cars act weird even with old batteries that test "good." Some say spoiler deployment when the key is turned on or the car is cranking is the built in early battery failure warning system. Just replace it.

4) If you have not done the “sticky key mod” do that mod… soon. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ru-2006-a.html

5) Replace the crank position sensor with the real Bosch part and put the working one in the glove box with the tools to replace it. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...or-photos.html

6) If you have a problem don’t take it to a dealer or start throwing parts at it until you have read the entire archives of the forum. There are a bunch of tech savvy people on here that can save you a ton of money but they can only help BEFORE you act. If you post a question here please be as detailed as possible. These cars have overlapping symptoms for a no start condition. Leaving out details will complicate the over the internet diagnosis and prescription.

7) If you "mod" the car document what you did for both your mechanic and the next owner. I have seen too many posts where an owner has to wade through a mod of some sort to find or diagnose a problem.

8) Aftermarket accessories; Crossfire members can help you with the car but we may not know the accessory. (Alarms, Remote start, HIDS, etc.) You may not have a car issue, you may have an add on issue.

9) Research the issue; If you go to the trouble shooting section on the forum to look up a particular issue please read the entire thread. If you read the procedure and get stuck at a specific point in the repair odds are someone else did too and posted about it asking the how to get past the..... whatever questions. You will see several follow-up posts about the original fix that will greatly help with the fix you are trying to do and it will give you a feel for the difficulty of the repair. If you post a new thread or problem please, after the repair follow-up your post with exactly what was done to fix it. This will only help other owners.

10) And most importantly enjoy the car, enjoy the "cult" following and have fun meeting up with other owners of the car. There is truly no better group of car owners out there than Crossfire owners! WORLDWIDE!

Last edited by KDW4Him; 04-19-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Now that you own a crossfire, a starters guide to ownership...

And yet another 8) DON'T BEND IT !!! Insurance companies love to total these cars for anything more than a scratch.
( Always drive with the lights on, and add the flashy brake thingy )
Old 07-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala_xfire View Post
Always drive with the lights on, and add the flashy brake thingy )
Here is the forum info for the flashy brake thingy:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-lights-2.html

The Flasher Module is available on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Brake-Stop-Control-Light-Lamp-Flasher-Module-Flash-Strobe-Controller-12V-24V/111714125948?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32476%26meid%3D2f5dffc3a71749d5bb4ffdc195beae9a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361324055756
Link for Crossfire documents / owners manuals / shop manuals etc
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post111722

Last edited by Red Runner; 07-19-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Here ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post831215 ) is an up-to-date pretty good install of that module. 180 and MrMiata generated a couple of .pdf's from this post of mine (size of file/pictures are different) and they are stickied here in the forum somewhere. These modules are very inexpensive, and work GREAT! Good luck on the procurement and install!

Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 PM

I can't believe I missed this thread-been a bit busy.

Nice thought, but could it ever, EVER be complete?

I think not!

Nice thought, though!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcichon View Post
I can't believe I missed this thread-been a bit busy.

Nice thought, but could it ever, EVER be complete?

I think not!

Nice thought, though!
Not intended to be a complete list but to address the issues that get the most questions or frustrations. Or the ones that give the dealers fits but we already have figured out.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM

Bump..................
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM

Just purchased a 2005 SRT 6 with 56K miles that could go new on a showroom floor. I've lusted after ANY kind of Crossfire for a coupla years now. This car replaces my 1926 Model T Fordor, so it's a quantum jump for sure. How do I determine the "build number?"

GroundPilot
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM

Serial number of a Crossfire is the build sequence. First thing to know is that the powertrain and most of the electrics are the same as a Mercedes SLK32 (SLK320 does not have the supercharger).