Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Only third brake light working

Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only third brake light working

Hi guys,

A little while ago my brake lights stopped working. I'm not sure when but at least 2 months ago a forum member told me on the DVP in Toronto.
I've been using the car again more so I want to fix the issue. Based on reading this forum and searching in general I think it's the turn signal switch. The lights work to signal but not when the brake pedal is pressed.
If this is the issue is there a good way to confirm it?
Do I need to disconnect the airbag in order to replace the turn signal switch?
I've watched some how to videos on other cars and if that's the issue it looks very easy to fix but likely something a mechanic would take me to the cleaners over.

If anyone knows about this problem I'd appreciate any advice. The BAS/ESP light is on but it has been on since I replace the steering dampner years ago.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Only third brake light working

I would first check out the brake switch ( on the pedal arm ) and the brake light relay ( in the under hood fuse box )

Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dobermann
Do I need to disconnect the airbag in order to replace the turn signal switch?.
If you do anything with any airbag components, first, disconnect battery
when done, make sure everything it back to original connections BEFORE you reconnect the battery. That "should" prevent an airbag light from triggering.
As for the lights, if the CHMSL works I would assume that the brake switch works. I would check the actual bulbs, make sure they are correct and work with a test wire, and check socket wiring.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Hi guys,

A little while ago my brake lights stopped working. I'm not sure when but at least 2 months ago a forum member told me on the DVP in Toronto.
I've been using the car again more so I want to fix the issue. Based on reading this forum and searching in general I think it's the turn signal switch. The lights work to signal but not when the brake pedal is pressed.
I've watched some how to videos on other cars and if that's the issue it looks very easy to fix but likely something a mechanic would take me to the cleaners over.

If anyone knows about this problem I'd appreciate any advice. The BAS/ESP light is on but it has been on since I replace the steering dampner years ago.
The BAS/ESP light is a symptom of a failed brake switch or brake solenoid among others I believe.
Maybe your light has been out for years.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It is doubtful the brake switch is at fault since the center brake light is working. You need to check out the wiring diagram because I'm thinking on this car the turn signals and brake lights are not related. Different bulbs. Have you tried to change the bulbs?

Last edited by James1549; 12-24-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
It is doubtful the brake switch is at fault since the center brake light is working. You need to check out the wiring diagram because I'm thinking on this car the turn signals and brake lights are not related. Different bulbs. Have you tried to change the bulbs?
True, but the BAS/ESP light has come on when the brake lights were out due to the faults I mentioned. The anti-lock controller is wired to the brake solenoid.
If it was the bulbs then the bulb out light should be on, and flashing on with the brake use.
There seems to be something missing here. The BAS/ESP light should not come on after changing the steering damper.

If the bulbs were wrong or put in backward as we have Day Time Running Lights here in Canada and the Crossfire uses all the bulbs except the high beams during the day automatically.

Could be a light switch problem I guess, or a combination of faults.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Does either light work when the headlight switch is placed in the left or right standing position ?

Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Hi guys,

It is probalby not a good idea to ignore the BAS/ESP light - but leaving that aside, the wiring diagram shows that fuse 2 in the Illumination Control Module powers all brake lights. So the fuse has to be good, also, the brake light swithc and relay ALSO power all three. This leaves us with two options, as I see it:

1) You have two burned out or improperly inserted bulbs.
2) You have a bad ICM

The turn signals and tail lights are separate from the brake lights' wiring EXCEPT that the tail light and brake light bulb is the same bulb - dual filament, but same bulb.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:52 PM

Hi guys,

I wanted to thank you guys for your help. I was close to buying a new brake light switch and then close to buying a new turn signal switch and then I read here and saw it's probably neither.

Honestly I am still working on it. I don't drive the car a lot and since this issue only during the day.

I have new bulbs but still hitting this issue.

I think it may be the ICM. Its my last option and then I'll have to start looking for bad wiring somewhere.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Hi guys,

I wanted to thank you guys for your help. I was close to buying a new brake light switch and then close to buying a new turn signal switch and then I read here and saw it's probably neither.

Honestly I am still working on it. I don't drive the car a lot and since this issue only during the day.

I have new bulbs but still hitting this issue.

I think it may be the ICM. Its my last option and then I'll have to start looking for bad wiring somewhere.
Look at the brake lamp relay as per post #2 by ala_xfire, you have to start somewhere and it might as well be there. It has a connection to the anti-lock brake system.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:51 PM

Ok I'll try that.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:24 PM

i had trouble with the right one until i cleaned the contacts in the socket- they had corroded - i havent had a problem since

Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM

I got this fixed (finally).
I took the turn signal switch out to see if there was an issue. I was going to buy a new one but when I put it back in all three lights were working.
I'm not sure what the exact problem was but I read that the interrupter in the turn signal switch can cause the brake lights problems which is why I removed it.
At least they all work now! So if you have this problem that could be a solution for you too (for anyone reading this).

Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks for reporting back !!!!!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM

I am having the same issues. Center Brake like works but brake lights do not get brighter. The rear tail lights and blinkers both work.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM

most likely a common ground issue :

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-07-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:00 PM

I'm having this issue, center brake light is working, other 2 brake lights are not working. I just changed the bulbs and I'm still having the same issue. I had O'Reillys order the "brake switch" (on the pedal arm) it was inexpensive and then I can cross it off the list.

My top is not going down, windows go down then I get the slow beep.

Electric seat adjusts are not working.

Driver's side heated seat is not working. (never worked) bought the car used.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cartoonguy2002
I'm having this issue, center brake light is working, other 2 brake lights are not working. I just changed the bulbs and I'm still having the same issue. I had O'Reillys order the "brake switch" (on the pedal arm) it was inexpensive and then I can cross it off the list.

My top is not going down, windows go down then I get the slow beep.

Electric seat adjusts are not working.

Driver's side heated seat is not working. (never worked) bought the car used.
Have you tried the speed control?
If it does not work as well it's the fuse.
Check the fuse anyway, it's quicker.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:43 PM

The cruise control works and the fuses are all good.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:28 PM

I just replaced the brake switch and now the 2 outside rear brake lights work. I also replaced the multi-purpose relay, so now my electric seats work. Now I want to send my center brake light to the repair guy but I can't figure out how to remove it. I've got the convertible and it's hell. I took off every screw and bolt and the dang thing won't even wiggle.

Quick Reply: Only third brake light working