Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Key Won't Unlock Door

Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Won't Unlock Door

Hi y'all,

I've been hunting on the forums and can't seem to find a problem that matches mine so here goes:

My key will not lock or unlock my 06 Crossfire. The key fob hasn't worked since the day I bought the car (it worked when I test drove it and suspiciously stopped when I finished signing paper work and went to drive it home) so I've been manually unlocking and locking it via the driver's door. The lock button on the console works but of course that only locks the car from the inside and the key won't unlock the car anyway.

Also, my right turn signal has stopped working about a week and a half ago. The left works fine, the right doesn't make a sound. The hazards all work so I know it isn't a bulb issue. Can these issues be related? I have just enough car knowledge to follow directions to fix stuff, not to diagnose, so any help you can give would be awesome.

Putting the car in the shop is just not an option - it's gone twice in the last six months. Once for the water pump and once for the alternator so if I want a working turn signal and locks, it'll have to be a DIY solution.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Re: Key Won't Unlock Door

Originally Posted by girlgoesvroom
Hi y'all,

I've been hunting on the forums and can't seem to find a problem that matches mine so here goes:

My key will not lock or unlock my 06 Crossfire. The key fob hasn't worked since the day I bought the car (it worked when I test drove it and suspiciously stopped when I finished signing paper work and went to drive it home) so I've been manually unlocking and locking it via the driver's door. The lock button on the console works but of course that only locks the car from the inside and the key won't unlock the car anyway.

Also, my right turn signal has stopped working about a week and a half ago. The left works fine, the right doesn't make a sound. The hazards all work so I know it isn't a bulb issue. Can these issues be related? I have just enough car knowledge to follow directions to fix stuff, not to diagnose, so any help you can give would be awesome.

Putting the car in the shop is just not an option - it's gone twice in the last six months. Once for the water pump and once for the alternator so if I want a working turn signal and locks, it'll have to be a DIY solution.

Thanks guys!

Have you tried the FOB resync? The instructions are here in the forum.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Have you tried the FOB resync? The instructions are here in the forum.

Fob resync, yes but make sure the battery is good first.
Also how many fobs go with the car?
Resync is here. CLICK

Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 PM

I've tried reprogramming the fob a bunch of times with no results, so I gave up and was just using the key manually. I'll give it another try but at this point this fob has been submerged in soda and the infrared blaster thing is half broken, so I don't have a lot of hope for that. This was the only key to come up with a car.

And for anyone who was curious...I was at a BBQ a few months after getting the car, walked away from the picnic table and returned to my keys submerged in soda. To this day I have no clue who I pissed off or how.

Edit: Tried programming the fob (press unlock/lock twice, put key in, turn to ON) with no luck.

Last edited by girlgoesvroom; 02-16-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Fob was unimpressed with my efforts
Old 02-16-2018, 08:43 PM

I've tried reprogramming the fob a bunch of times with no results, so I gave up and was just using the key manually. I'll give it another try but at this point this fob has been submerged in soda and the infrared blaster thing is half broken, so I don't have a lot of hope for that. This was the only key to come up with a car.

And for anyone who was curious...I was at a BBQ a few months after getting the car, walked away from the picnic table and returned to my keys submerged in soda. To this day I have no clue who I pissed off or how.

Edit: Tried programming the fob (press unlock/lock twice, put key in, turn to ON) with no luck.
Obviously the fob is toast, the red lens is just a battery testing light, nothing infrared about it. The fob works using radio wave signals.
You need another fob.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Yeah, that's been the case for a while. I'm really only interested in fixing the fob issue first if it's gonna mean I can lock my car. I just don't understand how the fob can lock my car if the key in the door can't. And along those same lines, I don't get how I can lock and unlock the doors from the inside if it's all the same system. Does the console button work on a different system than the lock on the door?

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Obviously the fob is toast, the red lens is just a battery testing light, nothing infrared about it. The fob works using radio wave signals.
You need another fob.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If a new battery & re-synch didn’t work, the fob internals were prob ruined by the soda.
Get a new key from Rob NeedsWings Performance Products. Key OEM Replacement USA or Canada

Old 02-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Yeah, that's been the case for a while. I'm really only interested in fixing the fob issue first if it's gonna mean I can lock my car. I just don't understand how the fob can lock my car if the key in the door can't. And along those same lines, I don't get how I can lock and unlock the doors from the inside if it's all the same system. Does the console button work on a different system than the lock on the door?
Now you say the fob works and the key in the door does not. What is it?

Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 PM

I'm sorry if this is all confusing. I'm finding it hard to explain the problem since I don't understand it myself.

Just to summarize:
- The key in the driver's side door isn't activating the lock at all. As of a week or so ago, it stopped locking/unlocking the car.
- The fob has been out of commission since I bought the car in 2016. I have no clue if the fob would unlock the car if it was working. I'd happily buy a new fob if that's an alternate method of locking the car.
- The lock/unlock button on the console does work. I was under the impression that if the lock on the door was broken, this button would also not work.
- The right turn signal works intermittently. It stopped working about 3 weeks ago, 1 week before my door lock stopped working. Maybe these problems are related, maybe not. I thought I would mention just in case it's relevant.
- I'm looking for a way to lock and unlock the car from the outside by means of either figuring out what happened to the door lock and fixing that or by buying a new fob and syncing it to the car if that will work.

Does that make any sense at all?

Now you say the fob works and the key in the door does not. What is it?

Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Do the dome light and cargo lights work ?
If not, try replacing fuse #9 in the underhood fuse block, the remote lock/unlock just might start working then too.
I had this issue a few years back and this was the fix.

O, and the turn signal not working is most likely burnt contacts on the bulb holder.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-18-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM

I'm sorry if this is all confusing. I'm finding it hard to explain the problem since I don't understand it myself.

Just to summarize:
- The key in the driver's side door isn't activating the lock at all. As of a week or so ago, it stopped locking/unlocking the car.
- The fob has been out of commission since I bought the car in 2016. I have no clue if the fob would unlock the car if it was working. I'd happily buy a new fob if that's an alternate method of locking the car.
- The lock/unlock button on the console does work. I was under the impression that if the lock on the door was broken, this button would also not work.
- The right turn signal works intermittently. It stopped working about 3 weeks ago, 1 week before my door lock stopped working. Maybe these problems are related, maybe not. I thought I would mention just in case it's relevant.
- I'm looking for a way to lock and unlock the car from the outside by means of either figuring out what happened to the door lock and fixing that or by buying a new fob and syncing it to the car if that will work.

Does that make any sense at all?
It does make sense now but in your first past you said the key worked in the drivers door. We have that straight now, it does not lock the car.
When using the key in the drivers it operates an electrical switch that turns on the pump hidden under the trunk mat, it will lock or unlock the doors, gas cap and hatch.
Obviously the pump works so the switch in the door must now have a fault in it somewhere between the lock and the pump. There are a lot of wires connected to the pump and the pump has been known to get severely damaged by water leaking into the trunk, have you seen any evidence of water in the trunk?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 PM

Nope, I pulled up the trunk floor and everything is nice and dry. As far as I can tell, there's never been a trunk leak.
It does make sense now but in your first past you said the key worked in the drivers door. We have that straight now, it does not lock the car.
When using the key in the drivers it operates an electrical switch that turns on the pump hidden under the trunk mat, it will lock or unlock the doors, gas cap and hatch.
Obviously the pump works so the switch in the door must now have a fault in it somewhere between the lock and the pump. There are a lot of wires connected to the pump and the pump has been known to get severely damaged by water leaking into the trunk, have you seen any evidence of water in the trunk?

Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 AM

Thank you, replacing fuse 9 ( 10 amp) solved the problem for me, now both key fobs will remotely lock / unlock the doors.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Ragtop
Thank you, replacing fuse 9 ( 10 amp) solved the problem for me, now both key fobs will remotely lock / unlock the doors.
Thank you for reporting back !
Glad to help

Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 05Ragtop
Can you lock/unlock the car from the drivers door?

Old 05-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same exact issue. I can lock it with the remote and buttons but not with the key in the door.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:15 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Read post #13,

Old 05-11-2020, 02:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a confusing thread. The OP never replied back with what, if anything, was the fix...but a different person said "thanks, that worked" (this person has two keys, OP only had one.)

Old 05-12-2020, 06:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading post #13 never stated if he was able to lock it from the outside with the blade. If those remotes fail again, he'll have a bill if he doesn't have the tools to get in. However here's what I found:

There's a rod attached to the backside of the lock cylinder. This rod is shaped almost like a cross at the end and that fits into a circular piece that has the exact same shape molded into it. When you turn the key the rod turns, turning the circular piece and activating the switch. There is a small pin that attached the rod to the cylinder, that pin can come out allowing the rod to slide out of the lock cylinder. I removed the lock using a #8 long hex key, pulled the rod out the door, then used an automobile hair pin to hold it in place. The tricky part was getting the crew to balance on the hex key. I used a dab of super glue as I didn't have any magnetic hex keys and that allowed the screw to stay on the key as I slid the lock back in. Once you tighten it, the hex key will break free.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

8thWonder; The key not opening/closing the door has been a repetitive problem on the forum. Thank you for an explanation as to exactly how that lock cylinder and switch work together. Good write up; crew should be screw I believe.

Quick Reply: Key Won't Unlock Door