Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprint Booster and Throttle Position

So I'm really confused now, I just picked up an OBD-II reader and even with the Sprint Booster installed the absolute throttle position reading seems to still be accurate to the position of the pedal. (Even though the car seems to get 80% of the throttle within the first %20 of pedal travel.)

How could this be explained?

Old 10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Sprint Booster and Throttle Position

Is it accurate as before you installed the Sprint Booster?

If so, then maybe it's not the actual position that's being 'boosted'. Maybe it's the signal that tells the ECU "I'm pressing FAST".?

Just a thought...

Old 10-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Default Re: Sprint Booster and Throttle Position

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Is it accurate as before you installed the Sprint Booster?

If so, then maybe it's not the actual position that's being 'boosted'. Maybe it's the signal that tells the ECU "I'm pressing FAST".?

Just a thought...
I bought the scanner after I had already installed the SB, so I'd have to pull it and re-run the test. However it'd be hard to get any "real" comparison between the two tests without putting some sort of pedal stop to limit how far I could push the pedal.

But what I observed was that although it revs quickly the throttle position reported over the OBD-II didn't seem to increase as quickly...

Old 10-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Tomorrow I will take the SB off my car. I'm gonna check and see what the resistance is just out of curiosity, I doubt they're using a resistor to fool the computer but who knows? I would feel like a total ****** bag if I find out I paid $250 for a $.05 resistor, lol. haahaaha...

I went for another drive tonight with the SB, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the hang of the dang thing in 1st, I was either launching too hard or I was feathering the clutch way to much. I will have to reset the throttle again, the pedal travel is super sensitive again...
If only I could have the SB on a switch so I can revert back to stock I would keep the thing, but it just doesn't work well in 1st for me.
Ok that's enough bashing the SB. I hope HDDP has better luck with his.

Last edited by dynamicS; 10-07-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After installing the Sprint Booster this morning, I had a chance to sneak the car to my secret testing road tonight after work, Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. This canyon is the closest thing to the road courses I normally race the car on and very isolated. So, I got a chance to break the law without impunity and test this little gizmo before I hit the track next weekend.

I immediately noticed the improved throttle response in neutral. Idle to 3,000 RPM happened with a quick "BLIP" of the pedal. This will help immensely for heel-toe down shifts (for those of you interested).

The first part of the road is about three miles of straights and sweeping curves, during which I played with the throttle to see what the SB had changed in the car. 1st gear launches were very easy and smooth, but I could "GOOSE" the throttle to make the car lunge if I got too aggressive with the pedal. I did a few start-stops in 1st and didn't find anything difficult with the altered (improved) throttle response if I were driving on city streets.

Perhaps because of the fair amount of modifications on my car, (disabled TC, ESP & 400 lbs lighter, etc.) I could do a standing burn-out in 1st gear for the first time. (I have racing slicks and they were cold). After goofing around for a few minutes I took the car to the road and adapted to the SB in a matter of moments. (nothing scary here guys).

In my estimation, 40-50% increased throttle response during the first 20% of pedal travel, 80% throttle response during the first 50% of pedal travel, VS the OEM set-up. For my application this will help with my heel-toe downshifts because I can bring the RPM's up much faster to match gears and car speed.

IMO, the Sprint Booster is really kind of a minor drag racing modification. It definitely gives you a quicker "off the line" feel. And for the daily driver Crossfire it will make your car feel more powerful (launch faster) , but not increase HP... This is what you expected the Crossfire to accelerate like... For those of you driving on slick roads in the winter, not a good idea, especially if you disable your TC !!!

MMZ: Thanks for hooking me up with the product, I'm happy, it will definitely make a minor difference in my track times...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LTCRD.jpg (466.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by HDDP; 10-07-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

HDDP,

Thanks for the feedback on the Manual version.

I was pretty much of the same opinion of the 'milder' Automatic version as far as day-to-day street drivability. It should be fine, just takes some getting used to... almost like a new car.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Is there a reputable US source for these yet? Or is anyone selling theirs because they did not like it?

Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nyazai
Is there a reputable US source for these yet? Or is anyone selling theirs because they did not like it?
There are no dealerships for the sprint booster in the states. DynamicS is selling his.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Thanks FP, checked it out but I need one for the autostick... I will keep looking, guess I missed out on the group buys.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
After installing the Sprint Booster this morning, I had a chance to sneak the car to my secret testing road tonight after work, Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. This canyon is the closest thing to the road courses I normally race the car on and very isolated. So, I got a chance to break the law without impunity and test this little gizmo before I hit the track next weekend.

I immediately noticed the improved throttle response in neutral. Idle to 3,000 RPM happened with a quick "BLIP" of the pedal. This will help immensely for heel-toe down shifts (for those of you interested).

The first part of the road is about three miles of straights and sweeping curves, during which I played with the throttle to see what the SB had changed in the car. 1st gear launches were very easy and smooth, but I could "GOOSE" the throttle to make the car lunge if I got too aggressive with the pedal. I did a few start-stops in 1st and didn't find anything difficult with the altered (improved) throttle response if I were driving on city streets.

Perhaps because of the fair amount of modifications on my car, (disabled TC, ESP & 400 lbs lighter, etc.) I could do a standing burn-out in 1st gear for the first time. (I have racing slicks and they were cold). After goofing around for a few minutes I took the car to the road and adapted to the SB in a matter of moments. (nothing scary here guys).

In my estimation, 40-50% increased throttle response during the first 20% of pedal travel, 80% throttle response during the first 50% of pedal travel, VS the OEM set-up. For my application this will help with my heel-toe downshifts because I can bring the RPM's up much faster to match gears and car speed.

IMO, the Sprint Booster is really kind of a minor drag racing modification. It definitely gives you a quicker "off the line" feel. And for the daily driver Crossfire it will make your car feel more powerful (launch faster) , but not increase HP... This is what you expected the Crossfire to accelerate like... For those of you driving on slick roads in the winter, not a good idea, especially if you disable your TC !!!

MMZ: Thanks for hooking me up with the product, I'm happy, it will definitely make a minor difference in my track times...
i love that road, i used to tear it up in my step moms miata when i was a kid. that's a pretty long drive from studio city though, ballsy.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nyazai
I'm selling mine because with the SB installed the car is not fun for me, as a daily driver in LA traffic.
Other's have different opinions , they mostly love it...

Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by x'ed
i love that road, i used to tear it up in my step moms miata when i was a kid. that's a pretty long drive from studio city though, ballsy.
I don't like using that road any longer... It got discovered by the SF Valley rice rocket crowd and is used as a midnight road race track by a bunch of dangerous amateurs and subsequently is patrolled very heavily following a bunch of "OFF THE CLIFF" crashes... I prefer Sand Canyon when I need to test the car and can't get out to the track. But keep that a secret.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Here you can get the Sprint Booster for $250 delivered. They have both versions for Auto and Manual.

Cut and paste link in your address bar.

http://www.slkfans.com/

Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
I don't like using that road any longer... It got discovered by the SF Valley rice rocket crowd and is used as a midnight road race track by a bunch of dangerous amateurs and subsequently is patrolled very heavily following a bunch of "OFF THE CLIFF" crashes... I prefer Sand Canyon when I need to test the car and can't get out to the track. But keep that a secret.
yeah its always been sorta a trap, right at the end of the road, cops always just hung out there. but i haven't driven there in 6 years. i used to live over by the golf course. i still think you cant beat azusa cyn. road. i don't know what the road is called, but about 15 minutes up you go right over a little bridge and there is a road about the width of an escalade. very dangerous to drive alone, because you can't tell if someone is coming, but very fun. if you have two cars, send up one scout, and you have a free range. its about 25 miles of the craziest, most curvetious road you have ever seen, and about 4 miles up it is immaculately paved. you can see wholes in some of the short walls from cars that have taken about a 1,000 ft drop. when i was last there this guy in a brand new z06 was driving like a complete jack*ss. if i hadn't pulled over to let my dogs pee, we would have went head on. but damn, that things could handle and after you finish driving, you can go camp up at mt. baldy. great place.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
I'm selling mine because with the SB installed the car is not fun for me, as a daily driver in LA traffic.
Other's have different opinions , they mostly love it...
It's unfortunate DynamicS, I had the same concern since I'm stuck in bay area traffic ever day. I opted for the 451A version for that reason. I found that the 451A is manageable in stop and go traffic. You may think about the 451A.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Forum Regular

I agree...the SP automatic version is great. I get the boost when I want it and how I want it...when I don't, the car runs the same as usual.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by hansolo94583
It's unfortunate DynamicS, I had the same concern since I'm stuck in bay area traffic ever day. I opted for the 451A version for that reason. I found that the 451A is manageable in stop and go traffic. You may think about the 451A.
I bought the regular (451) version and after about 2 weeks of driving it in traffic, I can say that I mastered it well enough to drive it as if it doesn't even have the SB installed. But those first two weeks were hell on my clutch.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY MY ... This little device has generated pages and pages of talk. It is fun to watch all the commotion.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hansolo94583
Nah I'll pass on the SB auto version, I'm so used to how the car drives stock now that I like the dampening effect and the longer travel range on the throttle..
I guess since no one wants to buy my manual SB I'll just ship it back to Greece. It's an OK product but it doesn't really do what they claim. I wanted to get rid of the throttle lag (this it does), but I didn't want the short sensitive throw on the throttle pedal. Kinda misleading to the customer...

Old 10-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Installed my sprint booster tonite....Bliss...

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!