Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

noise at idle

Old 06-12-2007, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise at idle

I have noticed that at "idle" if you turn the fan off (to make things a bit quieter) I can here a whine. It sounds a bit like and electric fuel pump running (but it isn't that). If you engage "drive" as the engine revs drop the pitch changes to a lower tone too. Does anyone have any idea if this is the same for all SRT-6's or if I have something going wrong with mine ?

Performance is still great and it uses no Oil at all.
Power steering fluid is at the correct level.
nothing appears to be rubbing on the "drive belt"

I have only noticed this since I had my Steering box replaced...but for all I know it may have been there before, but just didn't notice it as I had a few issues after the steering box was replace with air in the system with resulted in low steering fluid levels for a couple of days. I took the car back and they topped it up again. All the air is out now and everything is just fine other than this noise.

I can hear the noise with the radio on low and the fan on "2", but I think it is due to me becoming "tuned" into it all the time now and it is driving me to distraction as to weather it is "normal" or not... !!!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: noise at idle

My guess would be your power steering pump or maybe the supercharger. Turn the wheels right and left and see if the whine gets louder as you do.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by bobs
My guess would be your power steering pump or maybe the supercharger. Turn the wheels right and left and see if the whine gets louder as you do.
I thought that...it does change slightly when I move the steering, but that could be as it produces a load on the engine and the revs change, so the pitch does too. It doesn't get louder when moving the steering though.

As for the Supercharger...if the clutch doesn't engage till 2,900 rpm, surely it can't be the supercharger as it would not be moving as the engine is at idle ?

One thing I did notice, when sat in the car it sounds like it comes from the rear...but if you lift the Hood (bonnet in the UK) and remove the plastic engine cover it seems to quieten down a little, so the noise is amplified, albeit very slightly, through the engine cover. Also, with the bonnet down you can't hear it outside the car, only when sat in it.

Can anyone with and SRT-6 try this and let me know if they hear anything ??? Sit in car at idle, switch off heater, fan and radio, listen for background whine, engage "drive" listed to hear pitch change with drop in engine revs.

Cheers,
Simon

Last edited by simon-srt6; 06-18-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 AM

Has anyone with an SRT-6 tried this yet to see if they get the same noise ?