Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

ECU location and removal

Old 12-18-2021, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: ECU location and removal

Originally Posted by jimcross
Could this module cause the cooling fan to run at very high speed? I determined that it's not the fan control module. Also, the AC doesn't blow cold air. Can this and the pcm be related?
The fan doesn't start right up high when cold starting the 1st time. It starts running very high after about 2 minutes from a cold start.
Yes, the system is very simple.
The ECU sends "tickle pulses" (my term) continuously, to the FCM. The FCM responds, as long as this continues, all is fine.
If the FCM fails to get the pulses, it goes into "Emergency Mode" and runs the fan at high speed.
If the ECU fails to get the pulses back from the FCM, it lights the "Low coolant light".

In order to run the fan at various speeds, the ECU sends wider pulses, the wider the pulse, the faster the FCM will spin the fan.

That's all there is to it, so a fan that runs at high speed is either a bad FCM, a bad ECU or the wire running between the two is open.

I found a site (Flagship One) that will send me a module matched to my VIN. What's your thoughts?
I've been on here 12 years, never heard of them. I'd go to Josh Chase at the Mercedes Swap Shop in California. Josh is on Facebook and here on the forum, I will message him about this thread.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:44 PM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

@sk8erjosh09

The following users liked this post:
onehundred80 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Or call him at (760) 793-1372

Old 10-09-2022, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello can someone help me ? I'm having the same issues I don't want to get rid of my car. Can I call someone or someone call me

QUOTE=HDDP;146140]You're welcome sir... Remember when I said I had to figure out a misfire in my 3rd cylinder when we were on the phone today ? Well here's the culprit... https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...d=1#post146138[/QUOTE]

Old 10-09-2022, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Coach Jackson
Hello can someone help me ? I'm having the same issues I don't want to get rid of my car. Can I call someone or someone call me

QUOTE=HDDP;146140]You're welcome sir... Remember when I said I had to figure out a misfire in my 3rd cylinder when we were on the phone today ? Well here's the culprit... https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...d=1#post146138
This is a VERY long thread that has taken various paths. The only way to get real help is to type out what is going on with your car.

Start with this:
My car is a 200(x) (Roadster/Coupe) (Limited/SRT) (Manual/auto) and it is doing the following:........................................
That is, tells us what the car is then tells us what it is doing you don't like. More details is way better than less. Example: "My car won't start" will get you no where. Does the starter engage? Does the instrument panel light up? Does the engine cooling fan start spinning even without the engine starting?

We need specifics, none of is standing next to your car, you've got to tell us what is going on.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:13 PM
Exclamation Re: ABS ECU and Module Failure

Hi, I am new to this Forum. I have a 2004 Crossfire Coupe with 88,000 miles and had been doing reasonably well. 2 months ago the BAS and ESP lights came on. Still drives fine. My Chrysler dealer computer says :
1. P0335 Crank Sensor fault and needs new #5080352AA part
2. C1o00-1, C1207 cab internal failure. Recommends replacing ABS ECU and Module Assemblies. Vintage Parts inc has part # 5140827AB. Part #5170479AA is no longer made or available.
Any thoughts on what this all means. Do I proceed with replacing the parts that are available? At this point it won't pass inspection.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:23 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Well, the first thing I would do is resync the BAS ESP. To do this, while parked, start the car, turn the steering wheel as far to the right as you can and then as far to the left as you can and then back to center. Turn the car off for a minute and then restart the engine. See if the light doesn't go off. Chrysler dealers know very little about these cars since they are actually a 2004 Mercedese SLK 320.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:39 PM
Unhappy Re: ECU location and removal

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Well, the first thing I would do is resync the BAS ESP. To do this, while parked, start the car, turn the steering wheel as far to the right as you can and then as far to the left as you can and then back to center. Turn the car off for a minute and then restart the engine. See if the light doesn't go off. Chrysler dealers know very little about these cars since they are actually a 2004 Mercedese SLK 320.
Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately it did not work.
I did go to a different mechanic last month. His computer did not show a clear answer, and he was surprised. So still not sure of the cause.
I can chip away at replacing parts but there is the one part that is not made anymore.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2022, 08:43 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomfox
Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately it did not work.
I did go to a different mechanic last month. His computer did not show a clear answer, and he was surprised. So still not sure of the cause.
I can chip away at replacing parts but there is the one part that is not made anymore.
Thanks
The part numbers you quote are Chrysler part numbers, DO NOT USE THEM. They will have Mercedes part numbers, find out what they are and use them, save yourself some money, up to half the cost.
What are these parts, we can probably give you the Mercedes part number.
Most Mercedes parts have the part number on them somewhere.
Maybe you can find used parts and save even more, it depends on the part.
When you ask a question give all the information you can.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:01 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Re: ABS ECU and Module Failure

Hi, I am new to this Forum. I have a 2004 Crossfire Coupe with 88,000 miles and had been doing reasonably well. 2 months ago the BAS and ESP lights came on. Still drives fine. My Chrysler dealer computer says :
2. C1o00-1, C1207 cab internal failure. Recommends replacing ABS ECU and Module Assemblies. Vintage Parts inc has part # 5140827AB. Part #5170479AA is no longer made or available.
Any thoughts on what this all means. Do I proceed with replacing the parts that are available? At this point it won't pass inspection.
Tomfox, You should never take your car to a Chrysler dealer. You will pay much more for any part or repair than necessary, because the Crossfire is basically a Mercedes product most all parts that Chrysler sells you are makered up from the (already expensive) Mercedes price. You should also know that Chrysler does not use the scan tool that your Crossfire was designed for use. It should be a DRB III , which makes me wonder what the "dealer" was using to scan your car.
If your car is starting fine and has not stalled for you while driving, then it is doubtful you have a problem with the Crank Position Sensor, CPS. Therefore, if I were you I would first get all the codes cleared , take the car for a short 3 mile drive, and then rescan the car as a 2003 Mercedes SLK 320 at an independent shop that specializes in european auto mobile. The ESP/BAS module may need replacing, but it could also be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor. I would trust a good independent shop much more than a Chrysler dealer and certainly any parts will cost less.
If you need to replace the Anti Lock Brake control module it will be best to find one on ebay with the exact numbers as the one that is on your car. It is a very easy job to replace that module / unit if it is necessary. Time wise it takes less than one hour.

Last edited by zip439; 11-23-2022 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2022, 11:38 AM
Administrator

First, as others have said, taking the car to a Chrysler dealer is not going to get you ANYWHERE. The car is not a Chrysler product (other than the TPMS and airbag systems) and there is no factory support for the car any more.

Second, read my sigline, then stop $*(%(*$ around with dealers. The ONLY reasons to take a Crossfire to a dealer are: Resync of the TPMS, replacement of the airbag. (And in the case of the airbag fix, expect them to bill you even tho it's warranty, and expect them to screw the car up as well.)

Third, any "mechanic" that expects his "diagnostic computer" to tell him what is wrong with the car without having specific knowledge of the MB SLK320/Crossfire, is a waste of your money and time.

The following users liked this post:
MDKEEHN13 (02-10-2023)
Old 11-23-2022, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Recommends replacing ABS ECU and Module Assemblies.
Again, that is because he has NO CLUE what he is talking about. ECUs and brake controllers almost N E V E R fail in these cars.