Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
IT IS RUNNNING!!!!!!! I just got a call from Robert Krause and am leaving now to head to the shop. More details latter today!!
CONGRATULATIONS, FELICITATION, I'm happy for you.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Thanks for all the comments it was very nice to read all the messages after wanting to pull all my hair out a few times. The car is not in Bedford. I is in Lewisville at Krause's Automotive on Mill Street. I left the shop a little while ago and was a dissappointed that I can't quite drive it home. We still are resolving a few issues that are mostly related the engine sitting around since 2002.

You may all be wondering how we got it running?? Well yesterday we tried a few things with the DRBIII thanks to Ferris but we still didn't get anywhere. I don't think the DRB is required in this conversion. it is basically doing what the MB STAR sytem does but not as well and no Developer mode. We just got fed up with all this modern computer stuff and went old school. We checked for fuel and spark. We then jumped the starter which we had done before but this time we just let it crank much longer. Then it started! We still coudn't get cranking so Robert wired in a relay to activate the starter when the key is turned to start. While this will work we are finding that sometimes the engine starts right up and sometimes it takes too much time to start. We are starting to think we need to go over the power cotrol module again. it worked fine when the V6 came out so it is hard to believe it went bad but the symtoms are very much like the Mystery no start issue. It could also be a slight error in some of the coding strings we did. We spent most of the time tonight working on the now intermittant starting problem and didn't have a chance to resolve the missfire on cylinder 4 issue. The engine did get to temp and my dual fan conversion worked just great. Thanks again everyone for the support. Words cannot decribe how challenging this whole project has been. Keep your fingers crossed for the first video and drive report. It drives half as good as it sounds, I am in for a real treat. The Anza exhaust now has a much deeper growl. I am now going to go read the Mystery no start thread and see what i can learn. i also saw on MB world SLK guys having a similar problem but I am not sure it applies to us but they seem to have a common problem with older cars and they dry solder connections around the K40.
Hi Lantana,

Congratulations for your work, I'm happy that you finally succeed your conversion project, may be we can race our converted cars side by side one day . Now, there is a place for a twin-turbo ??

I noticed that you install MAF and injectors from V6 to the v8, but MAF and injectors are different : V6 is 124 cc/mn and V8 is 256 cc/mn, so if you are running with V6 injectors, missfire could happen from leak of fuel and non correct MAF values transferred to ECU. Injectors may have different colors (Green for V8 and Blue for V6 I guess).

You can find attached a file which can help you to know (cc/mn) of your injectors using its Bosh serial number (can be read on injector).

Could you tell us what's fault code from ECU menu on DAS?

Best Regards.
Karim.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
injecteurs bosch cc-min.txt (17.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Lantana,

Congratulations for your work, I'm happy that you finally succeed your conversion project, may be we can race our converted cars side by side one day . Now, there is a place for a twin-turbo ??

I noticed that you install MAF and injectors from V6 to the v8, but MAF and injectors are different : V6 is 124 cc/mn and V8 is 256 cc/mn, so if you are running with V6 injectors, missfire could happen from leak of fuel and non correct MAF values transferred to ECU. Injectors may have different colors (Green for V8 and Blue for V6 I guess).

You can find attached a file which can help you to know (cc/mn) of your injectors using its Bosh serial number (can be read on injector).

Thank you Karim, we did not install the injector. We did try a coil pack and that did not clear up the missfire on #4. We are going to try plugs and plug wires. I did see that the fuel injector was different. I will get a correct injector if needed. We noticed the MAF was a different part number and will get the correct one but for now it is not causing a code. Our biggest concern is that it doesn't start consistantly every time we turn the key. We checked the crank posistion sensor which seems good and even tried another sensor with no change. I am wondiering if it is the power control module which has been a common problem in Crossfires and SLK's. I am going to check the dry solder connections on the circut board today. Once running, the engine keeps running just fine and does not try to quit.

The fault is "Missifre Cylinder 4"

Best Regards.
Karim.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Great job, thanks for reporting.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Lightbulb Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hi Lantana,

Thank you Karim, we did not install the injector. We did try a coil pack and that did not clear up the missfire on #4. We are going to try plugs and plug wires. I did see that the fuel injector was different. I will get a correct injector if needed. We noticed the MAF was a different part number and will get the correct one but for now it is not causing a code. Our biggest concern is that it doesn't start consistantly every time we turn the key. We checked the crank posistion sensor which seems good and even tried another sensor with no change. I am wondiering if it is the power control module which has been a common problem in Crossfires and SLK's. I am going to check the dry solder connections on the circut board today. Once running, the engine keeps running just fine and does not try to quit.

The fault is "Missifre Cylinder 4"

Best Regards.
Karim.
Intermittent engine start may occur from multiple reasons, it's difficult to diagnose, so you have to take a strategy to fix that.

You have 4th cylinder misfiring: try to exchange plug, wire, coil with one different cylinder, the 6th for example, then see what DAS code fault is, if it is the 6th faulty, you know what to do: change wire/coil/plug.

But if still 4th cylinder misfiring, there is a faulty signal going to ECU, it can be: faulty crank position sensor, camshaft sensor, MAF and O2 sensor (lamda).

On the other hand, check voltage, if battery is OK, remember V8 55 needs 150A generator or there is only 120A installed on your car. I did not made the test when swapped my V8 engine, I installed 180A alternator directly because 60A difference is a lot for 55 Kompressor. so maybe 30A difference is enough to make engine not start.

These are most reasons causing misfiring, hope it helps you.

Best Regards.
Karim.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Not-Aus
Great job, thanks for reporting.
thank you, NICE avitar

Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kanzus
Intermittent engine start may occur from multiple reasons, it's difficult to diagnose, so you have to take a strategy to fix that.

You have 4th cylinder misfiring: try to exchange plug, wire, coil with one different cylinder, the 6th for example, then see what DAS code fault is, if it is the 6th faulty, you know what to do: change wire/coil/plug.

But if still 4th cylinder misfiring, there is a faulty signal going to ECU, it can be: faulty crank position sensor, camshaft sensor, MAF and O2 sensor (lamda).

On the other hand, check voltage, if battery is OK, remember V8 55 needs 150A generator or there is only 120A installed on your car. I did not made the test when swapped my V8 engine, I installed 180A alternator directly because 60A difference is a lot for 55 Kompressor. so maybe 30A difference is enough to make engine not start.

These are most reasons causing misfiring, hope it helps you.

Best Regards.
Karim.
Thanks Karim, We will be looking at everthing you mentioned. At least we are now dealing with normal problems which I don't think are major. We will see and hopefully be ready for the road test today.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Karim, we did not install the injector. We did try a coil pack and that did not clear up the missfire on #4. We are going to try plugs and plug wires. I did see that the fuel injector was different. I will get a correct injector if needed. We noticed the MAF was a different part number and will get the correct one but for now it is not causing a code.
Latana,

One thing to consider with the V-8 engine sitting for so many years is that one of the injectors is partially clogged.

You might want to give this website a check, and see if you want to try their injector cleaning and balancing service.

WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services

Congrats on getting the engine running.
I had a feeling that eventually you would get tired of the run around, and try just wiring a relay into the starter solenoid circuit!

BC.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:23 PM

I had a dream...and became a reality Congrats!!!!!!
Let's see how the test drive goes...the engine wasn't that much more heavier, and always you can go Triumph TR8, that is battery in ther trunk to balance the weight....nice adjustable Koni's (well, you have KYB Shocks already)???? In the end i'm just jelous.....

Kudos!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DeepSurge; 11-04-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what is the running tab?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Latana,

One thing to consider with the V-8 engine sitting for so many years is that one of the injectors is partially clogged.

You might want to give this website a check, and see if you want to try their injector cleaning and balancing service.

WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services

Congrats on getting the engine running.
I had a feeling that eventually you would get tired of the run around, and try just wiring a relay into the starter solenoid circuit!

BC.
You are right. Evidently the original owner of the car my engine came from forgot to use Sta-Bil before totaling the car in 2002. While the engine was almost brand new it has not been run since the accident. Whatever fuel that was in the injectors and fuel rail has been sitting there for seven years. Today we ran the engine and by the time the engine reached operating temp. the misfire cleared up. the good news is that the engine now runs really good. The bad news is that we still cannot get the engine start from the key. We wired in the relay so the engine cranks from the key but it will not start. The relay was wired-in, in the electronics box on the right side with the ECU, BCM and PCM. To actually get the engine to start we are grounding the starter signal wire that is in the module on the left side of the car where the fuses are.

We spent most of today going through the wiring diagrams and wires. We are starting to suspect that we have a problem with the ECU. When The ECU was sent to Beckmann to be unlocked, Bob Beckmann called me to find out what I knew about the car it came from. I explained that is was totaled in the rear and there was fire that did not reach the front of the car. He said he had found a problem in the ECU where some solder had burned. He said knowing the history he felt better about fixing it. The wire we are grounding is supposed to be grounded by the ECU. We are going to call Beckmann in the morning and see if he can send another ECU. Beckmann has all the files/coding so we think he can just send an ECU programmed and ready to put in.

We almost toook it for a ride today once we had the engine running great and with no check engine light. But we thought we should use our time to find the starting problem and worried if it died on us we would get stranded if we couldn't get it to start.

We did check everything possible including the Power control module and even opened it up and check the soldering.

for a while I thought worse case would having to put the V6 back in. We are now down to worse case being the need for a separate stater button (key on then push the button). We are trying to do this right and want to end up with car that operates as if it was OEM. BTW, It sounded even better with all 8 cylinder firing!! I will get video as soon as possible.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

You are right. Evidently the original owner of the car my engine came from forgot to use Sta-Bil before totaling the car in 2002.
The things that slip your mind when escaping a burning wrecked car... LOL

Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by spotsbimmer
Great news, sounds like you cracked one tough nut. Besides us, I'll bet those lurkers from the MB forums are really drooling now.
I for one am. Congrats Lantana hope you can get all the bugs worked out soon and can't wait to see the vids.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Congrats!

I am one of those lurkers from Benzworld!

This is a truly amazing thing you have done, I look forward to reading through all of this and... you better get us a video!

I am considering doing a V8 swap next year with my SLK.. thanks for the good info on here!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by gakz
Congrats!

I am one of those lurkers from Benzworld!

This is a truly amazing thing you have done, I look forward to reading through all of this and... you better get us a video!

I am considering doing a V8 swap next year with my SLK.. thanks for the good info on here!
Nice to hear from you! Everything I have done applies exactly the same to the SLK but doing this to the SLK would be much easier. This is because you have to use the STAR Diagnostic system in developer mode to do the coding and the STAR System does not have the Crossfire in it. there are some modules that have specific programing for the Crossfire. this is because of our different size wheels and some other differences such as my coupe cannot retract the roof. The Crossfire specific modules are not recognized by the STAR system and we had to do a lot of coding to make all the modules happy together. Also the SLK has a MB Vin so you don't have to figure out how to get a Mercedes ECU to accept a Chrysler VIN number.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Good to hear! This makes me tempted to do this more... as well as buy a Mercedes STAR system myself!

I, as well as many others im sure, look forward to videos of the car!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Congrats Lantana! You da man! Can't wait to hear the evil twin unleashed.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Lantana, I have been following this thread from the first day. I cannot tell you how much entertainment I have gotten from this series of post. Talk about suspenseful. It is amazing what you have accomplished through, imagination, determination, and the internet. When you get a chance, could you describe what it finally took to get the cars computer to work (you went down so many rabbit holes, I got lost) and is that the way you would do it, if you had it to do over?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM

I have been down so many rabbit holes I think I am finally running out of rabbit holes. The biggest obstacles are behind me as the engine runs great with no codes and the imbilization system is happy and working with no problems. Now if we could just get it to start from the key and not having to jump the starter! I was thinking that maybe we had a key problem since the donar car used the newer MB infared key but we have eliminated that as a possibility. Now that we have run out of things to check we getting close to pinning the blame on a defective ECU. On an automatic the ECU cortrols the cranking of the engine and will keep cranking until the engine reaches about 500 rpm (per Rudy). It is possible that my ECU runs the engine properly but the start function could be messed up. Another thing we are seeing is The BAS light on and the fault is CAN connection with ECU. I know my CAN bus was working fine so again this could be related to the ECU. When a are is totaled and on fire it is very possible for the ECU to see voltage in places it shouldn't. We are going to try to get Beckmann to send us another ECU to try so that we can see if that is the issue. We tried to get a hold of Beckmann today but he was not in. We should hear from him tomorrow. Robert Krause spent some time on the car today but decided to take a break and clear his head. I am pretty sure that this issue is caused by my donar parts and not something that would be a problem for others attempting this conversion, but we will see.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I called Robert today but he wasn't in so I had them take a message to call me back so I didn't get to bounce anything off him to see if there was anything else that was being overlooked or a work around that is more permanent than a separate button. I'll try him again tomorrow.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary