Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Overheating question

Old 06-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating question

Hi all...noob to this forum, but not a noob with the Crossfire...had it since 2004 and almost 60K miles later, we still love the car!

I do have a question to see if any of you have experienced this problem.

Late winter, the coolant/fluid level light began appearing on the dash. As a result, I added more coolant in the resevoir.
On Friday, on my way home from work, the car decided to overheat. The light was on and the guage pinged at H, causing me to pull over. Opened the hood, and let her cool down. Highway patrol came (lucky in the state I drive, they have regular assistnce patrolling).

The fluid doesn't appear to be circulating properly through the engine. I am thinking its not siphoning properly (clog) or the the thermostat needs to be replaced. Or the dreaded ultimate...water pump!

My question for the forum - have any of you experienced this problem and if so, what did you do to repair?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

*****update*****

1/2 day in the shop and $317 later, the fan was replaced per TSB E19 and all is good!

Last edited by lioninavette; 06-09-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Default Re: Overheating question

If the water proves not to be circulating, the thermostat is the likely culprit. The water pump is unlikely, if the water pump impeller sheared off this would also prevent proper flow, but that is very unlikely. If it the water pump was leaking you would know that as well.

As you noted the engine need fluid added, it is possible you had an air pocket in the engine that hadn't been purged yet. This will also cause the engine to mysteriously over heat.

Suggest replacing the thermostat as they are inexpensive and most likely cause. Also if the thermostat is not working properly one of the large radiator hoses will be empty and not luke warm as it would be if the water was flowing properly. Ensure you "burp" all the air out of the system. Check the thermostat for binding and throw it in a cup of boiling water to confirm its failure after removing it.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 AM
Forum Regular

There's a TSB for the fan - have you had that done?
It's listed on the forum somewhere.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:25 AM

E-19 is a TSB and unfortunately not a recall, per the dealer.
That is the route they are taking to fix it and hopefully it is not the relays.
We shall see...in the mean time I am going to contact Chrysler.