Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Queston about tire monitor system

Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Queston about tire monitor system

Gang....
I see that all Limiteds have the tire monitor system.
When the system detects low pressure and a warning light lit, is anything else affected?
Is the system tied into stability control, the ECU, the trans,etc ?

I'm just thinking about the future on a Limited that I buy.
Is there a way to just disable or remove the whole system without affecting anything else?
Thanks

Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Default Re: Queston about tire monitor system

Originally Posted by awilson40
Gang....
I see that all Limiteds have the tire monitor system.
When the system detects low pressure and a warning light lit, is anything else affected?
Is the system tied into stability control, the ECU, the trans,etc ?

I'm just thinking about the future on a Limited that I buy.
Is there a way to just disable or remove the whole system without affecting anything else?
Thanks
From what I know, nothing else is afftected. But why would you want to disable the system? We have no spare tire, and the system is a a great way to make sure the tires are up to pressure. Most of us DO NOT just check our tire pressures on a regular basis, and the "system" is the watch dog for the tires. Just asking ????

Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

There is NOTHING in the manual that even implies that it interacts with the other systems in the car.
My light has come on twice in 16 months - and both times I found a tire below 25 pounds, once it was TWO tires - both times because it got COLD overnight!

I really don't think it causes any changes to the behaviour of systems in the car, no one here has ever mentioned that it does, and SOMEONE here would know, and have said something, I would think.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 PM

my snow tires/winter wheels do not have TPMS in them, and the light is on all winter - it does not effect anything in the car that I could tell.

Bill

Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 557 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
There is NOTHING in the manual that even implies that it interacts with the other systems in the car.
My light has come on twice in 16 months - and both times I found a tire below 25 pounds, once it was TWO tires - both times because it got COLD overnight!

I really don't think it causes any changes to the behaviour of systems in the car, no one here has ever mentioned that it does, and SOMEONE here would know, and have said something, I would think.
The light came on because the cold temperature reduced the pressure just a little more, enough to trip the low pressure signal. The tire pressure was low anyway, just not low enough to trip the signal.
Check the tire pressures regularly, do not wait for the TPMS light to come on. When it comes on the tire pressure(s) have been low for some time, unless a puncture has occurred and excess wear has happened because of it.
Blaming the cold weather for a red light is wrong, the tire pressure was too low already. That is assuming that the pressure sensor is properly calibrated.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The light came on because the cold temperature reduced the pressure just a little more, enough to trip the low pressure signal. The tire pressure was low anyway, just not low enough to trip the signal.
Check the tire pressures regularly, do not wait for the TPMS light to come on. When it comes on the tire pressure(s) have been low for some time, unless a puncture has occurred and excess wear has happened because of it.
Blaming the cold weather for a red light is wrong, the tire pressure was too low already. That is assuming that the pressure sensor is properly calibrated.
mine hasn't worked since I have had the car...and that is the same for the coupe....I figure the batteries are dead, and they can stay that way...I am one of those that does check his tires...tpms is a pita...

Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks for all the input.
The reason I am asking is just forward thinking. I'm the kind of guy who regularly checks pressures ( and everything else for that matter) I also tend to keep a car for 10 + years. So once the batteries die in the transponders I doubt I would bother replacing them and the light on the dash would drive me nuts. So at that point, I would look into disabling.
Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My low pressure light came on yesterday. All four tires were at about 25 PSI. Filled them up to 42 PSI, light goes away. Good stuff.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 557 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
My low pressure light came on yesterday. All four tires were at about 25 PSI. Filled them up to 42 PSI, light goes away. Good stuff.
42psi? they are your tires so I guess you can do as you want. I would say they will wear out in the center of the tread and ride hard.
I keep mine at 32 and 33 psi +/-1psi and have an even wear cross the treads on my stock Contis.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to say 42 might be a little high, but all tires are different...the 32-35 range seems to work for me, unless going to go around turns, then I lower them a bit....but, each to their own..just like the tmps...some like it, which I did at first, so don't, which fits me now...lol....really, I'm just too lazy to tear down a tire to replace the battery....

Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
42psi? they are your tires so I guess you can do as you want. I would say they will wear out in the center of the tread and ride hard.
I keep mine at 32 and 33 psi +/-1psi and have an even wear cross the treads on my stock Contis.
Mine are the stock Conti's and their max PSI is 51. I keep them around 40 and they also have even wear. They ride great.