Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Negative Feedback on Upsolute Chip

Old 04-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Negative Feedback on Upsolute Chip

Not to rain on everyones parade.. but I saw that one post where the guy is having problems with his car now that the Upsolute chip has been installed. I did some research on my own, and spoke with two managers of performance shops.

One mainly focuses on BMWs and Porsches performance.. the shop is Bodymotion Racing in Ocean, NJ. They race on the Porsche and BMW race circuits - I've done business with the performance manager there before so I trust his opinion, and the guy does know what he's talking about. Basically they do some work on Mercedes, although it's not their focus. However he won't do a chip, PERIOD. No matter who the company. He said they did some in the past only to have problems.
He did recommended I go with a Renntech chip, even though they wouldn't do it.

The second guy I spoke to was at a pure performance shop that does ONLY Mercedes. Freedman Automotive Performance here in New Jersey. I spoke with the owner, Jake Freedman. He actually owns an upgraded SLK, so his opinion is to be trusted as well. The only chips he will put in are Renntech. I asked him about Upsolute and he stated to me that although he had done them in the past, he will never do one again. His reason was that although most Upsolute chips worked well, they occurance of them malfunctioning / not working correctly was very high, so he eventually stopped doing them all together. Basically he won't chance it anymore with Upsolute chips. When you are doing Mercedes, obviously the owners are going to want the job done to be the best, and they expect it to be done right. With Upsolute, he was just having too many problems, which reinforces what the first guy said about having problems with Mercedes chips in general. In his opinion, and remember, he owns a shop and drives an SLK, the only chip he'd put in his own car is Renntech.

Renntech chip is $995 installed. Percentage wise, it's a lot more. However, they are a well known, very reputable company, unlike Upsolute.. Do some research on Mercedes performance, and the name Renntech will come up. I never heard of Upsolute until I saw this forum.

Personally, in my $35,000 Crossfire, I think its worth an extra 500 to get it done, and know it's going to be done right with 100% confidence.

IMO of course.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the same one I saw...if you read some of the later posts you will see that his problems were cause by a bad temperature sensor. It had nothing to do with the chip.

I have a little over 800 miles since the chipping and I couldn't be happier.

If you want to pay more for the same thing for an added personal comfort factor that's totally your choice. We each have to do what makes us comfortable.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM

The guys who did mine (Porsche Pitstop, Alexandria VA) highly recommended the Upsolute chip vs. any of the other chiptuning they offer. By far the best bang for the buck. They do mostly Porsche's (hence the name) and VW's, but also quite a bit of Mercedes work. It was their opinion (and trust me, I asked, since they offered several different chiptuning's) before I made my final decision to go for it. They'd have made more money if I'd bought one of the others, so in my book that tells me they believe in value of the Upsolute. But hey, if there was only one opinion out there there'd only be one chip, eh? I would not personally discount or lend higher credence to one opinion vs. another, nor would I fault anyone their selection (to each his own...).

As for the problems BobaFett's having, well, what can I say? He's done a lot of mods to his car already, not uncommon for highly mod'd cars to have problems in interrelation of the various mods. Hopefully we'll hear soon his resolution. Maybe the Upsolute chip just work's on Alabaster's :?: 8) :?: :lol:

Upsolute offers a 30-day money back guarantee, and return your ECU to stock. And minimal cost re-flash if ever you have to have a new ECU installed.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
As for the problems BobaFett's having, well, what can I say? He's done a lot of mods to his car already, not uncommon for highly mod'd cars to have problems in interrelation of the various mods. Hopefully we'll hear soon his resolution. Maybe the Upsolute chip just work's on Alabaster's :?: 8) :?: :lol:
This doesnt have anything to due with the chip at all... its because the battery was unplugged ... and now something is messed up... its not the chip in anyway

it worked on WM's white

Old 04-12-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
This doesnt have anything to due with the chip at all... its because the battery was unplugged ... and now something is messed up... its not the chip in anyway
My Upsolute dealer warned me up front that I might have to go to Chrysler dealership afterwards and have the radio reset (security disable feature), but I didn't.

it worked on WM's white
err... Alabaster IS 'white'... :P

Old 04-12-2004, 01:24 PM

Definition for Alabaster =.... That really cool, awesome white color... :lol:

Old 04-12-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
Definition for Alabaster =.... That really cool, awesome white color... :lol:
Ah, yes, and before some 'westie' gets a word in edge-wise, might I just take this opportunity to remind all that Alabaster is THE BEST color for the Crossfire :!: :!: :!:

Old 04-12-2004, 01:28 PM

LOL i stated that wrong... i just wanted to remind people that WM's works fine... but it came out me stating Alabaster as a different color then WM's white ... yet again the great feats of internet speech!

Old 04-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Default I'll Second That

Although I Have a Saphire Silver Blue I Have to agree that the Alabaster Looks Very Nice. I Was Shocked When I First Saw a Black CrossFire! Black Also Looks Very Nice! Back to Chips. I'm Looking to Get a Chip But I'm On a Budget as I Also Want the Vertical Door Modification. What is the Worse that Could Happen with an Upsolute Chip? Does Not Work and Must Be Returned? Does Not Work and Causes the Car to Have Lasting Issues?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well...Upsolute chip worked fine with my blaze red Crossfire. Drove it 90 miles after chipping...hit 135 mph for a few seconds...rained upon...everything seemed to be alright

Old 04-13-2004, 06:42 AM

I'm glad to hear it Cyril.... I know the more you drive it the more you're going to be impressed.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

Hell, I hope the Upsolute chip is a great item. Of course I'd like to save 500 bucks! I'm surprised to hear I'm the only one who heard negative feedback. If thats the case I might have to go with it after all. I've been into performance sports cars since before I turned 17, and being I never heard of Upsolute, I was a little wary.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:04 PM

I think of white as the absence of a real color. It does make a great color to use as a primer however.

I keep thinking about doing this chip thing but the closest dealer to Chicago is 3 hours away. It would make it rather awkward if problems did arise.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:46 PM

I wasn't wary at all before I had this processes done... mine turned out to be a huge failure... I dont know if it was because of the installer or because of the installation mishap... but either way my Xfire is still dead till tonight or tomorrow at the dealer... Just take into account that there is that chance that something could go wrong and you could be out of your car for a few days... I am almost 100% sure im still going to have the chip done... but I'm really scared this time around

Old 04-13-2004, 03:04 PM

I wasn't wary at all before I had this processes done... mine turned out to be a huge failure... I dont know if it was because of the installer or because of the installation mishap... but either way my Xfire is still dead till tonight or tomorrow at the dealer... Just take into account that there is that chance that something could go wrong and you could be out of your car for a few days... I am almost 100% sure im still going to have the chip done... but I'm really scared this time around
and if you pulled the ECU yourself and mailed it to RennTech or PowerChip (as their web sites say you have to do), you could have done the same thing to it. FedEx or whoever could lose it. Who knows? All kinds of things could go wrong no matter what you do, your car could catch fire if you didn't even do ANYTHING to it. It's a Murphy world after all...

Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 AM

Amen.......

Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 AM

By the way, I encountered somewhere in the MB forum regarding having an alarm with remote start that the MB engine is not compatible with it. That's the reason I'm waiting for awhile about installing a Viper alarm the fact that I'm not sure how it will affect the engine.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
By the way, I encountered somewhere in the MB forum regarding having an alarm with remote start that the MB engine is not compatible with it. That's the reason I'm waiting for awhile about installing a Viper alarm the fact that I'm not sure how it will affect the engine.
I can answer that for ya

I have the viper / clifford system in my car... and it has the autostart... you can not auto start the car since the chip is not in the ignition... there is a way of buying a new key from the dealer and putting it near the actual viper box to make it recongize the key... but that means a spare key is installed in your car somewhere... if you press the autostart button and do not have the key in your ignition this is what will happen... the car will start everything up.. fans, stereo, heated seats... but the engine will not turn over... *wow sounds like my problem * once you put the key in and try to turn the engine over it will be locked up... it wont work... take the key out and open the hood ... it will turn off the auto start and you can close the hood and start the car normally ... talk about a scare when no one taught me that and I had to figure that out myself

Old 04-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Default Where is Porshce pitstop?

David, I live in Rockville and called 411 to get the number but they had no listing for Porsche pitstop.

Tom

Old 04-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Default Re: Where is Porshce pitstop?

Originally Posted by tetsujin138
David, I live in Rockville and called 411 to get the number but they had no listing for Porsche pitstop.

Tom
They're in Alexandria, just inside the Beltway. Coming from your way, I believe you'd want Eisehower Ave connector north just after the 395/95/495 split.

p.pitstop@verizon.net or mntuning@verizon.net

tell Minh I sent ya!