Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

74mm Throttle Body, surging idle

Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Re: 74mm Throttle Body, surging idle

If I had this surging problem I would reinstall the OEM components and start again.

Before doing that I would study the various seals that are between the engine cover/MAF housing/elbow/throttle body and intake O-ring, also the O-ring on the MAF sensor. A total of five seals if I remember correctly, any one could be faulty.

The ones after the MAF sensor would be most likely to cause trouble I think. The one between the MAF housing and elbow could easily be torn as I recall that was hardest to separate by depressing the clip and tilting the MAF housing.

I assume all the seals are there. I cannot remember if the MAF sensor can be installed upside down, you never know though. LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If I had this surging problem I would reinstall the OEM components and start again.

Before doing that I would study the various seals that are between the engine cover/MAF housing/elbow/throttle body and intake O-ring, also the O-ring on the MAF sensor. A total of five seals if I remember correctly, any one could be faulty.

The ones after the MAF sensor would be most likely to cause trouble I think. The one between the MAF housing and elbow could easily be torn as I recall that was hardest to separate by depressing the clip and tilting the MAF housing.

I assume all the seals are there. I cannot remember if the MAF sensor can be installed upside down, you never know though. LOL
Thanks, Dave. But, everything has been as OEM for a number of days now. My whole life is involved with making perfect pressure and vacuum seals. They are all 100%. The MAF cannot be installed backwards. Eccentric pattern. All hoses vacuum tested. (Yes, I have a small hand-operated vacuum pump for this!)

I'm going to drive it this coming week and see if it is just still in "learning" mode. We know, after all, that Germans don't learn too quickly. Or, at least, they need more than one lesson, right?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
DId you have an ECU tune? Ask Jerry if the throttle response has been dicked with?
ECU tune is done to my car, but I do not think it has anything to do with it, only because it is so sporadic and intermittent. I have not seen the issue in over 2 weeks since it last happened out at the Dragon.

Dave, the first things I did was go back to stock equipment and performed several well documents vaccuum leak tests, all of which passed perfectly.

Max, let us know what percentage of your car the dealership replaces to try and solve the problem, my guess is at least 5-7%

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
ECU tune is done to my car, but I do not think it has anything to do with it, only because it is so sporadic and intermittent. I have not seen the issue in over 2 weeks since it last happened out at the Dragon.

Dave, the first things I did was go back to stock equipment and performed several well documents vaccuum leak tests, all of which passed perfectly.

Max, let us know what percentage of your car the dealership replaces to try and solve the problem, my guess is at least 5-7%
Smartass.

I noticed yesterday that when it's "humping itself", it will not accept throttle inputs. When it sorts itself out and idles OK, it will then do as I ask.

ECU has decided to do this. That's why I asked.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Smartass.

I noticed yesterday that when it's "humping itself", it will not accept throttle inputs. When it sorts itself out and idles OK, it will then do as I ask.

ECU has decided to do this. That's why I asked.

I may be a smartass, but you know the dealership is going to go the replace and see what happens route until most of your intake system is replaced, then it will stop doing it for a day or two and they will bless it as 'fixed' like we have seen already...

When mine was humping, it still accepts throttle input (all the way to redline) or else my trips through the Dragon would have been awful

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Max,

I also wanted to make sure everyone in this thread saw this one as well...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-question.html

I think it is all tied in together, and nice to see un-modded cars with it as well, if nothing else, it gives us a baseline...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Max,

I also wanted to make sure everyone in this thread saw this one as well...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-question.html

I think it is all tied in together, and nice to see un-modded cars with it as well, if nothing else, it gives us a baseline...
Thanks,bud. I've been watching that one too. Still haven't heard of anyone else with the cohones (or misfortune!) to take it in to the dealer, though?

*Edit*

Except of course for '62tbird. Anyone else?

Last edited by maxcichon; 04-30-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Well, this should get ugly.

She was towed 40 miles to the dealership (Carl Gregory. Columbus, GA) because it died on me in traffic. It threw a CEL, but I didn't have my scanner with me. The last CEL, from last week, was P1035 (I think). It was MAF Circuit Intermittent"

They gave me a brand new minivan to drive. I'm depressed and this was just a bare-assed insult.

I'll let y'all know...if I don't kill myself from shame...

Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this should get ugly.

She was towed 40 miles to the dealership (Carl Gregory. Columbus, GA) because it died on me in traffic. It threw a CEL, but I didn't have my scanner with me. The last CEL, from last week, was P1035 (I think). It was MAF Circuit Intermittent"

They gave me a brand new minivan to drive. I'm depressed and this was just a bare-assed insult.

I'll let y'all know...if I don't kill myself from shame...

Max, sorry I was unable to get a hold of you this past weekend...somehow it got crazy busy after the golf tourney with some networking (and regular work) things. I would have been more than happy to take a crack at figuring this issue out...but probably to no success (except for the beer I would have drank). Hope you can get this cleared up, I can attest first hand to the fact that having a vacuum leak type problem sucks.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be that rheostat on the gas pedal ,I think 180 mentioned. Still sounds like vacuumm problem too. Hope you get it resolved soon at a low cost.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks, guys. (Matt-next time, huh?)

I will swear by there being no leaks. I'm good at few things, but that is one of them.

It will drive forever, with no issues, at 30 mph and up. It's an idle-only problem, and it really seems to me that it is electronic/control in nature.

I'm waiting with bated breath for my phone to ring.

"Hello, Mr. Cichon?"

"Yes."

"We're done with your beautiful Crossfire, but we don't know what was wrong. We just started throwing parts under the hood until it started sounding better."

"Of course."

"And I'm sorry to tell you that not one of the parts we used is covered by MaxCare. Not intentional, of course. And you are liable for not only the parts, but for 6 hours of diagnostics. Oh, AND the rental. Can't forget that, now can we?"

"No, I suppose not."

(BANG)

"Mr. Cichon? Hello?...Hey, Charlie! We lost another one!"

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ummm.. you don't have any rear diffuser panels on the car do you?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Ummm.. you don't have any rear diffuser panels on the car do you?
As a matter of fact, I do.

You'll have to get them through my estate, though!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As a matter of fact, I do.

You'll have to get them through my estate, though!
I was thinking a real quick email.. maybe handwritten..signed..and sent as a PDF?
Probably be hard for any other forum members to contest that way.. LOL

Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Very interesting, Max. Mine has never even been close to dying, always way above idle if anything.

Let us know what they tell you (replace)

Knock on wood, I have not had the issue since the Dragon...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Ooookkkaaayyyy,

first leak found was: (drumroll) drivers side intake manifold/head gasket. It's never been off, but he said that carb cleaner sprayed in the area shows a leak there. At the front.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Ooookkkaaayyyy,

first leak found was: (drumroll) drivers side intake manifold/head gasket. It's never been off, but he said that carb cleaner sprayed in the area shows a leak there. At the front.

I'll keep y'all posted.
That fancy paint ate away the gasket

Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
That fancy paint ate away the gasket
Yeah...and the peckerwood "service adviser" had the temerity to ask me "how long ago did I remove the manifold for painting?" I took great joy in telling him it hasen't been removed-just look at it. It was painted in place.

I might call him this morning and ask him to leave it off until I have a chance to run down and paint the rest of it!

Think it'll work?

You don't think he's looking for any reasons to make me pay for this, do you?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeah...and the peckerwood "service adviser" had the temerity to ask me "how long ago did I remove the manifold for painting?" I took great joy in telling him it hasen't been removed-just look at it. It was painted in place.

I might call him this morning and ask him to leave it off until I have a chance to run down and paint the rest of it!

Think it'll work?

You don't think he's looking for any reasons to make me pay for this, do you?
Not unless he works on commission, if so, then maybe it's time for that second mortgage ......

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Ooookkkaaayyyy,

I'll keep y'all posted.
Wow, I did the carb cleaner, torch, and smoke tests on mine and there were no leaks. Damn this issue is confusing as it is manifesting itself a little differently in each car it affects...

Thanks for the update, Max (Picasso )

Quick Reply: 74mm Throttle Body, surging idle