Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Replacing engine coolant using a GREEN method

Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 574 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Replacing engine coolant using a GREEN method

Can anyone suggest the best method please.
I want to replace the engine coolant in an efficient and green manner, in the old days I would have drained out as much as I could into a pan, refilled with water and warmed up the engine a few times draining it onto the driveway. When I did this on the grass the worms appeared like magic, I guess they did not like it too much. Being a kind person I hosed them down and took them fishing.

These days that is liable to get me a nice fine, so I need a method that is efficient and does not leave me with the original fluid and gallons and gallons of flushing fluid.

I guess I could do it the way the Manual says which does not seem to get most of it out. Maybe that's the way to go and just replace what comes out.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: Replacing engine coolant using a GREEN method

Simple, flush the tanks and engine with compressed air, use a shop vac or air hose with limited pressure. The air will carry off more of the fluid and RINSE low spots without scaring the worms. Another woody thought.......Taaaa Daaaaa

Enjoy,

OBTW you could also use the rinse fluid for the water make up if you were to use distilled water, ?.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 574 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Re: Replacing engine coolant using a GREEN method

Originally Posted by waldig
Simple, flush the tanks and engine with compressed air, use a shop vac or air hose with limited pressure. The air will carry off more of the fluid and RINSE low spots without scaring the worms. Another woody thought.......Taaaa Daaaaa

Enjoy,

OBTW you could also use the rinse fluid for the water make up if you were to use distilled water, ?.
That's a good idea, distilled water is cheap enough. I can dump it down the drain rather than let it go into the storm sewer which would kill the fishes and leave me with healthy worms but nothing to catch.

Three gallons of distilled water would do the trick, about half to be dumped and the rest as makeup fluid.

Problem solved.

You're not just a pretty face Woody. LOL