Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

MAJOR UPDATE!!

I have FINALLY found what is wrong with my car and even better after months and months of a nightmare situation it is finally fixed! It turned out to be the ABS module/pump, relay for spoiler, wheel sensors and some switch/cable that was under the transmission stick!

After having it as Chrysler as I mentioned before, they had suggested that they thought it was the "abs module" but because of the fact they wouldn't guarantee that and wanted stupid money just for the part! I then ended up sending it to this place in Lancashire after doing a lot of research (long way as I live in Wales) but as I have free recovery it wasn't difficult to get it up there. Within 2 days they had it all sorted and fixed so FINALLY its now back on the road and is like new again! No more warning light and more importantly NO more Limp mode!!

So yeah its been a long road but am very happy and pleased! Thanks to anyone that gave me there input and tried to help.
Btw Jesticle - I will put any money on it being the Abs module, it seems to cause all hell to break loose! That was my car's main issue (obviously were combination of things in my case) but it seems that its very likely its that, especially if you are having the same symptoms! Best of luck with getting it sorted, feel for you as I obviously know how distressing it can be. If you need to ask me anything, feel free too

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 06-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM
pct
Default Re: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Glad you got sorted Justin, and many thanks for taking the time to come back and post the outcome on the forum, this helps others who may find themselves with a similar problem in future and finding this thread, they can see what actually resolved your problem which is most helpful.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Thumbs up Re: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Originally Posted by pct
Glad you got sorted Justin, and many thanks for taking the time to come back and post the outcome on the forum, this helps others who may find themselves with a similar problem in future and finding this thread, they can see what actually resolved your problem which is most helpful.
Your welcome PCT, yeah me too! I thought I would never get it sorted for a while but got there in end! Biggest advice to anyone, make sure you find the RIGHT garage as there are lots of time wasters and because of the type of car we have....there are a lot people who simply don't have the experience and know how to find and fix the problem!

But yeah totally agree with what you said and that is why I am made sure to post on here updating everyone, as like you said its really important so people with the same type of issues can help get it resolved! Hopefully my posts will help them and I will continue on this board anyway so if anyone needs assistance or get advice regarding the issues I had then I am here to help

Justin

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 AM

Glad to see you got it sorted out

After trying many different things with my Crossfire, I replaced the battery with a new one, and it seems to have sorted my issues out. No more limp mode or christmas tree dashboard!

The old battery is working fine in a different car now, and probably will for years. These Crossfires are way too finicky.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jesticle
Glad to see you got it sorted out

After trying many different things with my Crossfire, I replaced the battery with a new one, and it seems to have sorted my issues out. No more limp mode or christmas tree dashboard!

The old battery is working fine in a different car now, and probably will for years. These Crossfires are way too finicky.
Thanks and really glad to hear you got yours sorted as well! Shocked it was just the battery with yours but great that it wasn't a big issue in the end!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM

After running fine for a month with the new battery, my bas/esp light started coming on randomly, then it did the christmas tree lights thing along with limp mode. Turned car off, then back on and it drove fine again. I'm suspecting the Conductor plate in the transmission, and can order one for about $200, then replace it myself. I'm thinking of having a dealer diagnose the problem with their drb III starscan tool, because I don't really want to start throwing parts at it without knowing for sure. However, I do not trust dealerships in any way, shape or form.

Trading in the Crossfire may be my best choice. Nice car, absolute **** electronics.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Think it will be same as what happened with mine, try what I suggested previously. Yeah stay away from dealer for getting the work done, it will far too expensive, I got it done as a Chrysler breakers (which also have garage) but unfortunately that is in the UK. Best of luck!

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 07-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 AM

My problem seems to have disappeared. just made sure all the tires have equal psi and no problems for a year. the bas light came on once during a hot day after being parked with only 2 tires in the sun. probably made the psi too high in 2 tires. finicky, but that was the only time in a year.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I then ended up sending it to this place in Lancashire after doing a lot of research (long way as I live in Wales) but as I have free recovery it wasn't difficult to get it up there. Within 2 days they had it all sorted and fixed so FINALLY its now back on the road and is like new again!
A good repair shop (person) is priceless.....you now have a place you can trust with confidence.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, that was a host of problems all at once. That doesn't happen that often. But, lets be clear on a few things and I am sure Dave will chime it. It is seldom the ECU. Sensors can go bad, relays can go bad, but leave the ECU alone. RCM needs checked and repaired if it has the dreaded solder issues, and yes, transmission conductor plates have know to fail. All of you should be constantly checking for moisture around the passenger floor board, and the trunk area. If moisture gets into these two places, all sorts of weird things can happen. It all preventative maintenance. The rear spoilers are usually the leaky area for the trunk, and Dave mentioned the leak for the floor board. For the most part, the cars are fine...if you keep an eye on these areas, and check connections, and fuse boxes for corrosion. I am sure England is a moist climate from what I am told, and so is the NW in the US... It has even been cool and rainy here in Indiana this year...so just take these precautions and life will be good...

Old 04-27-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jtaylortech3
MAJOR UPDATE!!

I have FINALLY found what is wrong with my car and even better after months and months of a nightmare situation it is finally fixed! It turned out to be the ABS module/pump, relay for spoiler, wheel sensors and some switch/cable that was under the transmission stick!

After having it as Chrysler as I mentioned before, they had suggested that they thought it was the "abs module" but because of the fact they wouldn't guarantee that and wanted stupid money just for the part! I then ended up sending it to this place in Lancashire after doing a lot of research (long way as I live in Wales) but as I have free recovery it wasn't difficult to get it up there. Within 2 days they had it all sorted and fixed so FINALLY its now back on the road and is like new again! No more warning light and more importantly NO more Limp mode!!

So yeah its been a long road but am very happy and pleased! Thanks to anyone that gave me there input and tried to help.
Btw Jesticle - I will put any money on it being the Abs module, it seems to cause all hell to break loose! That was my car's main issue (obviously were combination of things in my case) but it seems that its very likely its that, especially if you are having the same symptoms! Best of luck with getting it sorted, feel for you as I obviously know how distressing it can be. If you need to ask me anything, feel free too

Thanks,
Justin
hello just wanted to thank you for posting the final update on your problem. ive done a lot of research. ive got the same situation as you, almost identical! and just received a new/used abs module in the mail today and going to put it in this week. thanks again ill post my results

Old 07-21-2015, 06:59 AM

Similarly to the post below, this thread was very useful in repairing my vehicle. I had exactly the same issue as the original poster (limp home mode, spoiler up, lit up dashboard, OBDII code of P0720 - Output speed sensor).

After replacing the transmission conductor plate (which did not fix the issue) I replaced the abs control module with a second hand unit and the problem went away immediately. For reference, no recoding was required and I managed to slide the unit off the pump assembly and replace it without having to disconnect the brake lines; there was just enough flexibility in the rubber mountings to flex the unit away from the fuse box although I would note that I have a very early model which uses a slightly different unit to the majority of later cars so this may not be possible in all cases

Cheers
Greg

Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Excellent! Glad to hear you got the issue resolved

My car has been fine for the past 2 years, and I've been daily driving it. Maybe this issue arises from lack of driving our car? I know a lot of our Crossfairies sit in a garage all Winter.

I did disconnect and reconnect the abs module way back when, so it could have been corroded connectors. Will stay vigilante regarding the christmas tree lights, but no news is good news

Old 10-30-2016, 09:05 AM

UPDATE and ZE FINAL SOLUTION:

My BAS/ESP light would come on randomly it seemed, especially after going for long drives. A year ago, I decided to replace the tires since they were 10+ years old. Right rear tire had a separated belt near the center, which caused a bulge and was impossible to detect with the wheels on the car. I guess the traction control system detected one tire bigger than the others and tripped a code.

Long story short: Replaced the tires and no more BAS/ESP light. Over a year and still good.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesticle
UPDATE and ZE FINAL SOLUTION:

My BAS/ESP light would come on randomly it seemed, especially after going for long drives. A year ago, I decided to replace the tires since they were 10+ years old. Right rear tire had a separated belt near the center, which caused a bulge and was impossible to detect with the wheels on the car. I guess the traction control system detected one tire bigger than the others and tripped a code.

Long story short: Replaced the tires and no more BAS/ESP light. Over a year and still good.

AWESOME followup! Nice if all the other posts could do followups. Interesting that one bulge caused that much of a difference in tire diameter, hence the sensors triggering.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months ago in October I gave My fathers 2006 Crossfire a wash. The daytime temperatures back then were in the mid 80's F to 90 F. The next day I drove the car to discover the automatic transmission would not shift out first gear. Water may have entered the cowling and shorted the system as described here in this discussion, but there were still weeks of hot dry days that should have evaporated any moisture. The transmission will not shift. I disconnected the battery to zero out the system and fully charged it. The engine warning light is not on. Will the system scanner still read out a code? So the Anti-Lock Brake System module unit has problem and effects the shifting performance of the automatic transmission? I do remember that I moved around the speed setting lever by mistake because I thought it was for the windshield wipers. When I did that the engine was not running, but the key ignition was switched to ON.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCross
A few months ago in October I gave My fathers 2006 Crossfire a wash. The daytime temperatures back then were in the mid 80's F to 90 F. The next day I drove the car to discover the automatic transmission would not shift out first gear. Water may have entered the cowling and shorted the system as described here in this discussion, but there were still weeks of hot dry days that should have evaporated any moisture. The transmission will not shift. I disconnected the battery to zero out the system and fully charged it. The engine warning light is not on. Will the system scanner still read out a code? So the Anti-Lock Brake System module unit has problem and effects the shifting performance of the automatic transmission? I do remember that I moved around the speed setting lever by mistake because I thought it was for the windshield wipers. When I did that the engine was not running, but the key ignition was switched to ON.
So what I understand is the car starts and you can drive it, but it is in "limp" mode? (Look that up in the owners manual if you don't know what limp mode is.)
My recommendation is to get the car to an independent European automobile repair shop that works on Mercedes (NO DEALERSHIPS!!) and have them scan the car. GET ALL CODES THEY FIND AND HAVE IT PRINTED OR WRITTEN so you have the exact numbers not just some screw ball explanation like the code for light switch was on so we cleared it. The Crossfire will scan as a Mercedes 2003 SLK 320 assuming it is not an SRT6. After all the codes have been recorded CLEAR them, most especially those concerning the transmission. I have read that transmission codes must be cleared, or the limp mode will remain set. A generic OBD scanner can not get into the specific transmission codes; you must have a scanner that can dig deep into Mercedes codes and get them cleared by the scanner.
It could be that you got water into the shift lever area and that is the problem. The codes should point you in the right direction to get your dad's car up and running.
After reading this entire thread i ask you where is your dads car parked? Always in a garage or outside? The water leak that is described in this thread comes from plugged drain lines which are under the black plastic piece that runs along the bottom of the windshield. That "cowl" can be removed and the drain lines unplugged. You must remove the windshield wipers to get the cowl off.

Last edited by zip439; 12-08-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
The following users liked this post:
CROSSFIRERUSH (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Day zip 439,
Here are the codes I received from the mechanic shop :P220A, P2500, P2300, P2203, P0715. Date of manufacture : July 1, 2005. Mileage : 35K. The mechanic wants to replace the transmission fluid and clear out all the codes. They do not guarantee this will resolve the problem. They are already giving me quotes for a new transmission. I told the mechanic I will take the car to another shop for a second evaluation. The car has never been abused in any manner that would ruin the transmission.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I feel sorry for you people with automatic transmissions - your symptoms come up a lot.

Bad news: Ya got trouble, and it's gonna cost you to fix it.
Good news: You do not need a new transmission - you need someone who knows what they are talking about! (That's not me, my only answer is "Sell the damn car and get one with a manual"; but wait a bit and you will get the information you need.) I"m betting a fluid flush, refill, new conductor plate and maybe new o-ring/electrical connector and you will be good to go.

On the other hand, you have a throttle position sensor code..... And I'd pull the floor mats up on the passenger side and look for water intrusion under the plate that hides the TCM and audio amp.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

SunCross from what you where told by the people who pulled the codes about getting a new transmission I would NOT LET THEM work on your car. They are not giving you good info; Do not trust them.The codes are P0715 Input/turbine speed sensor, P220 Input Sensor mismatch, P2203 N3 Input speed sensor circuit, P2300 Bus-off CAN Controller 1, P2500 improper gear ratio. To me those all point at the conductor plate as the speed sensors are on the conductor plate. At this time I would only clear codes and see if that will get you out of limp mode. If the codes clear you are good to go. If they reset you will need to replace the conductor plate. FCPEuro has a kit with the correct fluid (Pentosin ATF134) for about $275. If you need to replace the conductor plate ( It can be done for a skilled doer your seilfer) I would take it to a different shop than the one that pulled the codes for you. Please go back and read my previous post and answer those questions with only 35.000 miles on the car it shouldn't require a transmission fluid change in respect to regular maintenance.

PS what pizza guy suggested about looking under the passenger floor mates to check for moisture you should already have done. That is the consequence of the plugged drain lines. The transmission control module is located there near the radio amplifier.

Last edited by zip439; 12-11-2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: under line

Quick Reply: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!