Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Brake Light and Propshaft problems

Old 03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light and Propshaft problems

Hi everyone

I've owned a Crossfire for 5 years now and have just found this great forum so thanks to the administrators for making this place.

I purchased my car used and it is a UK '53' plate - it was registered new in November 2003.

Recently it has developed two problems, the first of which a mechanic has diagnosed as the propshaft central bearing needing replaced. Chysler have told him they don't supply the part I need on its own, I have to buy the whole propshaft which costs £1,100

I have been looking online and have found a reconditioned part for a lot cheaper but it is described as being for the 2004 model and later. I wondered if anybody knows if this will be substantially different from the 2003 model or if you think the part is likely to fit? I'm not trying to be cheap but I have recently been made redundant and money is tight.

The second problem I have is that my brake lights have now started staying on the whole time whilst driving. I have a friend who is an autoelectrician who has offered to look at this for me and he says it's likely just a problem with the brake light switch. My question though is if anyone knows where the brake light switch is located so that I can tell him rather than him opening up the entire car. Is the switch in the panel under the steering wheel?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Brake Light and Propshaft problems

Originally Posted by scotty18
Hi everyone

I've owned a Crossfire for 5 years now and have just found this great forum so thanks to the administrators for making this place.
It's just about selling advertising to them - your assistance will come from the members here.

I purchased my car used and it is a UK '53' plate -
You Brits talk funny - none of that makes sense to us. But welcome anyway.

Recently it has developed two problems, the first of which a mechanic has diagnosed as the propshaft central bearing needing replaced. Chysler have told him they don't supply the part I need on its own, I have to buy the whole propshaft which costs £1,100

I have been looking online and have found a reconditioned part for a lot cheaper but it is described as being for the 2004 model and later. I wondered if anybody knows if this will be substantially different from the 2003 model or if you think the part is likely to fit? I'm not trying to be cheap but I have recently been made redundant and money is tight.
I believe the only changes made between '03 and '05 to 08 were the trim options. I cannot imagine that it won't fit - but others who know more will be along soon enough to tell you for certain.

Also, I suspect that someone here will be able to tell you where you can get the part you need without buying the parts you don't REALLY need. The drive train is essentially SLK320 and I suspect the part is available from Mercedes and aftermarket outlets. Again, wait and see who shows up to set things strait.

The second problem I have is that my brake lights have now started staying on the whole time whilst driving. I have a friend who is an autoelectrician who has offered to look at this for me and he says it's likely just a problem with the brake light switch. My question though is if anyone knows where the brake light switch is located so that I can tell him rather than him opening up the entire car. Is the switch in the panel under the steering wheel?
This has come up before. I've never had the problem, so I don't pay attention to what is said. It is either under there, or part of the brake equipment under the hood. But I am almost certain it is under the dash, where the brake pedal can actuate it.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-31-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: No reason, I just like to edit myself
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM

Hi,
You can just get the central bearing and it's mounting as a spare Part and just replace that on its own.

Matt
I did it myself but I'm used to working on cars. I will try and dig out the part number, I think it was from a MB parts supplier here in the UK.

Got it from here.
www.partsformercedes-benz.com
1 x Mercedes CLK 1997-2002 Propshaft Centre Repair Kit (PFM902613) = £18.00

Last edited by Wolf1608; 03-31-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: found part number
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf1608
Hi,
You can just get the central bearing and it's mounting as a spare Part and just replace that on its own.

Matt
I did it myself but I'm used to working on cars. I will try and dig out the part number, I think it was from a MB parts supplier here in the UK.

Got it from here.
www.partsformercedes-benz.com
1 x Mercedes CLK 1997-2002 Propshaft Centre Repair Kit (PFM902613) = £18.00
Bearings are bearings and 99% of them come off the shelf. Look at the bearing and note the number on it and go to a bearing dealer and ask for one. It will be cheaper than Mercedes as that is all they did before they put it in a fancy box and marked the price up.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Bearings are bearings and 99% of them come off the shelf. Look at the bearing and note the number on it and go to a bearing dealer and ask for one. It will be cheaper than Mercedes as that is all they did before they put it in a fancy box and marked the price up.
Quite true, the bearing will have a number on it somewhere. I prefer Timken. Save $$$ and buy it from the bearing dealer direct. Go ahead and change the U-Joint while you are at it.

Last edited by Wes__Hutchinson; 03-31-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM

Yes you could just replace the bearing itself but as the rubber mounting needs to be removed to get the bearing of you might as well replace it at the same time.

Mine had a fault on the bearing and the rubber was giving way. At £18 for an aftermarket part its not going to break the bank.

Matt.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I KNEW that would be the answer, but I am not arrogant enough to say it without KNOWING it for sure.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-31-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Every post edited, I hate typos.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Thumbs up Re: Brake Light and Propshaft problems

Thanks very much for all the replies guys and especially to Wolf1608 for the part number and link. I've ordered it so fingers crossed it does the trick!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the constant brake light stay on problem a few years back. It was indeed the brake switch, as your mechanic suspected, as the problem.

Replace the switch. It is located above the brake pedal, just below the pivot point. It takes less than 60 seconds to replace.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice - both problems now fixed