Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

DRB III Emulator?

Old 12-01-2023, 02:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: DRB III Emulator?

Originally Posted by Isaacmaple08
Oh, weird. Let me check permissions right quick maybe I didn't set it right.

Edit: Permissions look ok, I wonder if it's because I didn't specifically request a viewable link. Try it again. It should say an error like can't verify file because it's too large, but that's fine anything over 250 or 500mb google can't scan I believe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hcS...ew?usp=sharing

I was able to download it. You just have to ignore the warning about the scanning and select download.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

It probably was on my side. I tried a different computer and it worked. I unrar'd it, and imported it into VMware workstation 17. The javascript didn't work, but I'll have to fiddle around with it.
Thanks again for making it available.
-Jerry

Old 12-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by red_2005_convertible
It probably was on my side. I tried a different computer and it worked. I unrar'd it, and imported it into VMware workstation 17. The javascript didn't work, but I'll have to fiddle around with it.
Thanks again for making it available.
-Jerry
No problem, what happens with Java? When you click the IE shortcut does it throw an error? Would like to create a stable image for everyone since theres some folks on other forums like the Jeep forums also interested it sounded like.

Edit: I wonder if it's the VM hardware settings? I'll take a screenshot when I'm back home of the VM Machine details and Workstation version to see if that might be the issue? I don't ever use workstation, only ESXi so I'm not sure if it's the same.

Last edited by Isaacmaple08; 12-02-2023 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:29 PM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

Workstation and ESXi are similar, but you'll need an export format to go between them. I have been considering going to ESXi on this laptop, just to cut down on processor overhead of the Win10 host system, but not sure how much it would help.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by nemiro
Workstation and ESXi are similar, but you'll need an export format to go between them. I have been considering going to ESXi on this laptop, just to cut down on processor overhead of the Win10 host system, but not sure how much it would help.
Here's the Workstation Version I have and VM Settings screenshot.

If you want to bring the Workstation VMDK over to ESXi you'll have to type this in SSH to convert it.

'ssh root@esxi (whatever the esxi IP is here)
cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ (Whatever you named the datastore)
vmkfstools -i 'Windows_7_-_DRB-disk1.vmdk' DRB_ESXi_Converted.vmdk -d thin'

Last edited by Isaacmaple08; 12-02-2023 at 09:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nemiro (12-02-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:38 PM

No problem, what happens with Java? When you click the IE shortcut does it throw an error? Would like to create a stable image for everyone since theres some folks on other forums like the Jeep forums also interested it sounded like.

Edit: I wonder if it's the VM hardware settings? I'll take a screenshot when I'm back home of the VM Machine details and Workstation version to see if that might be the issue? I don't ever use workstation, only ESXi so I'm not sure if it's the same.
Sorry, took me a while to respond. The JavaScript just doesn't start when I click the IE shortcut. The internet explorer comes up and says host can't be found. That's as far as I got. I look into it a little more this weekend.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by red_2005_convertible
Sorry, took me a while to respond. The JavaScript just doesn't start when I click the IE shortcut. The internet explorer comes up and says host can't be found. That's as far as I got. I look into it a little more this weekend.
ahh ok, that's typical behavior then, make sure you have your micropod connected, plugged in & passed from the host to the VM or that happens.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:03 AM
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Just curious, what makes a micropod different from a CAN plug or ODBII plug. I tried comparing the pin outs from this diagram from the 2005 manual and the diagrams listed in the link below. I see there is a bunch of SCI transmit on the data link connector. I thought they used a common bus and address devices.

Data link connector

oobd2-pinout

Old 12-06-2023, 01:45 PM

Micropod is setup to switch which pin it is talking to for K-Line diagnostics. Each SCI line is actually a segregated K-Line. They did not put all the units on a common J1850 bus like the "regular" Chryslers did, in an attempt to keep the systems separated, and not clog up the already super slow communications.

The Micropod handles switching the K-line around to the other pins, which is what makes it 'better' or more specialized over other J2534 devices. Micropod also handles J1850 VPW Chryslers of the era, and CAN bus cars that came in 2006.

edit: Crossfires do not have CAN bus out to the diagnostic connector. It can be added, but functionality is a bit 'specialized', and not particularly useful for 99% of the users here. 2088 model year required CAN diagnostics in the US, so it may be brought out to the connector in 2008, but I have never looked at the 08 wiring diagrams. For most CF owners, CAN diagnostics are not how their cars work, despite there being more than one CAN network in the car (2 in 2003-04, 3 in 2005+)

Last edited by nemiro; 12-06-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:09 PM
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nemiro
The Micropod handles switching the K-line around to the other pins, which is what makes it 'better' or more specialized over other J2534 devices. Micropod also handles J1850 VPW Chryslers of the era, and CAN bus cars that came in 2006.)
Now this makes even more sense as to why most diagnostic devices can't get to everything and why you don't see DRB III functionally in those same devices. I just bought a YOUCANIC scanner diagnostic tool. When I get more familiar with it, I will post a review. So far it's able to talk to my Mercedes TCM. Thanks Neil for you educational response!

Old 12-06-2023, 03:22 PM

That's all on Pin 7 of the connector. It's all the other systems (HVAC, ABS, IC, Radio, PSE, etc, etc) that will not talk to the generic tools.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:16 PM

ahh ok, that's typical behavior then, make sure you have your micropod connected, plugged in & passed from the host to the VM or that happens.
Sorry it took me so long to reply. You are correct. When I plug in the usb cable, the vm asked if I wanted it to go to the virtual machine. I hit yes. Then I launched internet explorer and went to the internal emulator site - java script came up, and all the functions worked the same as when I use my windows 7 stand alone laptop.
Thanks again, sincerely
-Jerry
PS. my setup was ASUS X555Q running windows 11 and vmplayer 17.0