Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car sometimes won't start please help

Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sometimes won't start please help

hello everyone, new to this forum & also a new owner to a 2004 crossfire.

unfortunately I am already having issues with this car I would REALLY appreciate any help.

I noticed that when I turn the key , the car seems to have a bit of a sluggish start-up. Everything was all fine and well until yesterday when I was in the middle of running errands, the car wouldn't start. (the car wouldn't even crank over, however from what I remember, all of my interior electronics were working). I tried starting it about 5 times, no luck! so I decided to just wait a few minutes... when I turned the key, slowly but surely the car turned on! however my BAS ESP light remained on for a few minutes.

the ride home went well , I was just hoping the car wouldn't die on me during the trip home. I successfully made it home to my garage.

SO THIS MORNING when I turned the key... same thing happened! the car wouldn't even crank over. my BREAK WEAR INDICATOR , COOLANT LIGHT , & BAS ESP LIGHT were on when I was trying to turn the car on. (all of my electronics were working for the first few cranks but then eventually died out)

About 15 minutes later I decided to try and start the car again & BAM! starts up. ((the Coolant light, & Break Wear Indicator light was off, however my BAS ESP light remained on.)) I let the car idle for a few minutes & everything seemed to work fine. I plugged in one of those volt meters into my cigarette lighter & the meter read healthy close to 15 volts. the battery looks pretty new & there is no corrosion from what I can see.Does anyone know what this problem could be? I read around on this forum and seems most likely the culprit is the RPM sensor.I'm just confused on why my Break Wear Indicator Light, Coolant Light & BAS ESP came on. The dealer I bought it from just did a rear brake job & the brakes perform perfectly.PS I apologize if I am a bit all over the place , I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I'm very grateful for this forum & everybody here..... just hope someone could help me out with some info.... thank you!!!!!

Old 02-27-2023, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car sometimes won't start please help

I have the same issue, today I drove to work About 10 miles when I backed up into my parking spot turned off the car then I noticed I needed to move it back farther when I got in and nothing no crank no start. I waited 30 minutes and it started right up,. I had this happen before same thing I waited 15 and minutes and it started again. So I figured it was the rcm and sent it to tighe to replace coils and solder where it needed. Is it that skreem unit????I don't want to left on the road stranded.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This is where you need a good scanner that can read the internal modules (my Autel Diaglink can but need to use a slk320 setting) to find out what the car thinks the issue its. My new to me 04 Coupe had a constant BAS/ESP light. Scanner said many things but came down to the Brake Pressure Switch #1. Replaced it and light is now off.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 396 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by roychez
I have the same issue, today I drove to work About 10 miles when I backed up into my parking spot turned off the car then I noticed I needed to move it back farther when I got in and nothing no crank no start. I waited 30 minutes and it started right up,. I had this happen before same thing I waited 15 and minutes and it started again. So I figured it was the rcm and sent it to tighe to replace coils and solder where it needed. Is it that skreem unit????I don't want to left on the road stranded.

Sounds like your CPS is going. Use a BOSCH replacement unit only. Those who use a generic find out soon enough they do not work right.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 350 Likes on 309 Posts

Yes, the CPS can fail when it gets hot, after it cools a bit it will work again. As Graphite Ghost stated, use only Bosch.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:35 AM

OTOH a CPS will not keep it from cranking, just starting. Turn to start and nothing when hot but works when cools down and no codes is likely the starter solenoid. Usually helps to open the hood for a few minutes. How hot is the coolant running ?

Old 02-28-2023, 10:05 AM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by roychez
Concur with Graphtghost. The CPS ( Crankshaft Position Sensor) is the likely problem. click the below attachment for how to info and buy no other than the Bosch replacement CPS.

Attached Files
Old 02-28-2023, 10:11 AM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
OTOH a CPS will not keep it from cranking, just starting. Turn to start and nothing when hot but works when cools down and no codes is likely the starter solenoid. Usually helps to open the hood for a few minutes. How hot is the coolant running ?
The OP contradicts himself in the original post. If indeed the car doesn't crank you are correct, may also be a pulse module problem among other things.

Last edited by zip439; 02-28-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:54 AM

Agree and why a Bosch CPS is in my spare parts kit What is needed is to troubleshoot with a trouble light or DVM. I'd start with "is the solenoid getting power when nada" ?

Old 02-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Post 2 is not about a crank sensor, it's RCM (probably), Pulse module (possible), starter/solenoid (doubtful), or flaky battery (maybe but I still say RCM).
Crank sensors do not inhibit starter engagement.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

How the hell did we miss the cry for help in post 1?

Are we getting as useless as Ford Ranger Forums? No one even gave BAD advice to that guy.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:09 PM

The bottom line for all: nothing beats proper troubleshooting. So far I have not see one mention of what the battery voltage was much less use of a proper scan tool.
Without proper information might get better luck on the psychic hot line.

The solenoid is a triage point can either point backwards (battery, electronics) or forward (solenoid, starter) but is the place I would start for nothing when hot (and without a coolant temp we do not know how hot), ok when cools down. The real answer to both is "insufficient data".

Know there are those here who are both experienced and knowledgeable but suspect auto shop is no longer taught in high school. Unfortunately those who are are rapidly ageing out and will not be around for long. Then what ?
YWTK

Last edited by Padgett; 02-28-2023 at 12:14 PM.