Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Possible SKREEM?

Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible SKREEM?

Hello all,
My Crossfire died today at work. Thinking its a possible skreem module, but my car recognizes the key. It starts up and then kills immediately. Resoldered the RCM too, Still cranks and dies. Any suggestions? Its just weird that the car locks/unlocks with the key buttons but then wont start. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts
Default Re: Possible SKREEM?

Your post is just to vauge. I know you think you described the issue, but you didn't.

"My Crossfire died today at work," Taken literally, this is not a SKREEM issue. When we say I car "died" we mean it just quit running. SKREEM issues do not cause the car to quit running, they cause it to not start.

So:
  1. Do you mean the car quit running ("died"?)
  2. Or do you mean it refused to start?

"My car recognizes the key." Fine, then you do not have a SKREEM issue, when the SKREEM craps out, the car will not recognize the key. If your SKREEM is bad, here is what you get:
  • Put in key, turn it, starter engages and the car almost-kinda-briefly starts, then dies.
  • Turn key to off, repeat the above and get the same response.
  • Turn key to off, repeat the above - starter won't enage, you get nothing but dash lights.
  • Disconnect battery. Reconnect it. Try the above again, you get two starter engagements then nothing, same as before.
If you have any other symptom than this, your SKREEM is fine.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM

Sorry, I was at work all day yesterday and was in a total frenzy trying to get it figured out because it is my daily driver and the only car I have. So what happened was, I went to leave work, unlocked my car via remote entry, got in and tried to start it. Fired up and killed instantly. 3 times and then I have to disconnect the battery to get three more times out of it. That alone made me think that it is the SKREEM module. But I had a skreem issue last year where the car didn’t recognize the key at all, but this time at least the car is reading/receiving a signal from the key. I resoldered the connections on the RCM but to no avail. I’m not sure if it’s the CPS (crankshaft or camshaft), if it is a faulty rcm, or a SKREEM issue.

When I disconnect that battery, sometimes I get one fire up/kill and sometimes I get 2-3 before it doesn’t turn at all. Not entirely sure what’s going on here but being stuck trying to figure it out in 20 degree MN weather isn’t fun.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ajbarbier
Fired up and killed instantly. 3 times and then I have to disconnect the battery to get three more times out of it.
SKREEM is bad, or the antenna ring has come unplugged from the SKREEM or the RFID chip has fallen out of the key (and I'm sure the last two are NOT the case).
Sorry but this one is a typical, classic and almost obvious SKREEM.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM

You think it would be SKREEM even if it recognizes the key and receives a signal? Because last skreem issue the car set off the alarm and wouldn’t lock or unlock with the key.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Administrator

The function of the lock and unlock buttons do not indicate that the SKREEM "recognizes the key". The lock/unlock transmitter's function is separate from the RFID chip in the key that enables starting.
Your issue is that the SKREEM is not successfully getting a response it expects from the RFID chip in the key.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Okay sounds good. Just talked to the Chrysler dealership and they said the part is discontinued. So I’m crap out of luck huh

Old 12-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 467 Likes on 326 Posts

Okay sounds good. Just talked to the Chrysler dealership and they said the part is discontinued. So I’m crap out of luck huh
Contact Rob at Needswings.com
This has been discussed multiple times in the past couple of months and serval different threads
The Chrysler dealership is useless when it comes to repairing these cars

Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 PM

As of a month ago, two local Chrysler dealers in my area were able to instantly look up the Skreem in their price list. I ended up getting it and a spare key fob from Rob for less . If your Chrysler dealer just told you they just looked it up yesterday and it is now listed as discontinued, this needs to be confirmed, because if true, our worse nightmare as just happened.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Administrator

My worst nightmare is cancer or blindness.
If the SKREEM is not available, get one from a junked car, send it and your bad one to Josh Chase, and he can clone them. $300

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-05-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
My worst nightmare is cancer or blindness.
If the SKREEM is not available, get one from a junked car, send it and your bad one to Josh Chase, and he can clone them. $300
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm an electrical engineer and car electronics is my passion. Will try to contribute as much knowledge and assistance as possible to this forum.

One important point to consider when getting them from the yard is making sure that the part number matches identically. With that said, other part numbers may work, the key is the MCU inside the board has a mask, if the mask matches between your vehicle and the donour, it's all good!

Pizzaguy,

Are you certain cloning these MCUs would fix the problem? Without data alteration or new key generation? I have personally come across a case with a SLK (same system as Crossfire) where a new Key had to be generated to start the car. But I have not done a lot of these to know the exact trend/issues for this SKREEM and why they fail. Would be interesting to try and find out what exactly fails and reach closer to a solution than cloning.

Cheers

Last edited by jafaryj; 12-06-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Had it towed to a dealership to see if they could pinpoint the problem for sure and after an initial diagnostic they can’t find exactly what the problem is, of course. Should have figured it would be a huge waste of time. Just want to make sure it’s the SKREEM before I drop $700 on the damn part.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 467 Likes on 326 Posts

Had it towed to a dealership to see if they could pinpoint the problem for sure and after an initial diagnostic they can’t find exactly what the problem is, of course. Should have figured it would be a huge waste of time. Just want to make sure it’s the SKREEM before I drop $700 on the damn part.
As I said in a previous post the Chrysler dealership is useless in repairing / troubleshooting these cars in my opinion
just my 2 cents with over 11 years here

Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

The Dealer will probably charge you $500.00 for the diagnostics.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Had it towed to a dealership...
See my sigline.
See Valk's posts.

Nothing more we can say.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jafaryj

Are you certain cloning these MCUs would fix the problem?

Cheers
All I can do is quote Josh Chase. If you have in-depth questions, go on Facebook and ask him.
I am not claiming any great knowledge here - I am quoting the guy who KNOWS and has DONE IT. I tend not to argue with such people.

TO answer your question: YES. If Josh says it, then I'm sure of it.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-06-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 AM

I am new here and think I have messed my key up. I just bought this 2005 red convertible and it only came with one key. The holder on the key that locks and unlocks the car was in bad shape so I bought a new case and put the key and operating things in the new case. Now the car will not start. Get 2 tries then disconnect the battery and get 2 more tries for 2-3 seconds each time. I guess I've messed up the RFID chip in the key. I Did not know it could fall out. Do you know what it looks like or have an opinion of what I should do? Thanks

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks like one of these :
Opinion ? Find it, or pay $800 .

Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 AM

Thank you so much.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Yes. Assuming it is missing or possibly it is there but the fob was not reassemble d correctly or this chip is there but possibly got dislodged during assemply. There are other posts here from otherswho have actually taken these apart, both successfully, complete with photos and instructions, and some who unsuccessfully did so with warnings not to take it apart. Check outthose stickies and other key fob posts at the top of the technical section first before giving up on your current key. I'm fact, there are experts here in key disassembly that can take you step by step if you find the chip and just need help assembling it properly.Just ask! Now if all fails, the chip is gone, etc., then I would humbly suggest that you immediately contact our good friend Rob at needs wings on line and immediately order a new key fob from him for about $670. You must provide him with ownership documentation and vin number and will have it in a week. There is a ten second program procedure included to get it to open the doors that he will include. As of this moment the $830 option for getting the key from a Chrysler dealer is temporarily not available. Warnimg...It sure seems like you have a key fob issuse caused by disassembly, but your key or replacement sends a signal to an antenna which surrounds your key slot, which plugs into a vin sensitive receiver called a skree m located inside your dashboard. That can go bad at anytime and cause the exact same symptoms. I sincerely doubt that is your problem at the moment as your problem began after key fob disassembly, but save up your pennies and get a spare skreen for about the same price from Rob while you can still get them. The Chrysler Delalerships are also currently having trouble getting the skree m units at the moment. Make sure you end up at the correct needs wings site (check top of your page) as
I once was redirected to a bogus site. Rob is extremely legitimate and a great person. We are here for you and others know a lot more than me.I just went through paying $1300 for a spare key and skreem....made exclusively for my vehicle because I know without them out cars will just be big paperweights. Good luck!
​​​​​

Quick Reply: Possible SKREEM?