Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SKREEM Repair Infomation

Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default re: SKREEM Repair Infomation

Another possibility is Josh Chase up in China Lake. He has reprogrammed ECM's in the past to accommodate V8's and manual 6 speed transmissions.
I don't have a contact number for him, but he is on some of the Crossfire groups on Facebook.
He told me a few months back that he was going to look into the SKREEM issue, haven't heard back from him.
On Facebook his account is "Mercedes Swap Shop"

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-10-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:45 AM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

tried to reach ecudecode (the fellows in old england) but their site does not have an email address so i can ask for a list of happy customers and their emails so we can ask them for details.
that could help to learn how this service works.
if any1 knows how to learn this, it would be great.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Another possibility is Josh Chase up in China Lake. He has reprogrammed ECM's in the past to accommodate V8's and manual 6 speed transmissions.
I don't have a contact number for him, but he is on some of the Crossfire groups on Facebook.
He told me a few months back that he was going to look into the SKREEM issue, haven't heard back from him.
On Facebook his account is "Mercedes Swap Shop"

I have been conversing with Josh on FB Messenger for a few weeks about my problem - actually chatted with him last night. I don't think I am having a SKREEM problem, but Josh thinks my problem is related to the programming in my ECU. BUT - I asked Josh if he had any luck bypassing the SKREEM yet and he said he has not ... but to do more research, he would need a car ... so I told him about this thread and that Wolfstalker might be interested in sending his car to him. Josh said once he got freed up he would try to reach out to Wolf and see if they can get together somehow.

RL

Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM

is this fellow you are talking about?
https://fundrazr.com/11RWBd?ref=sh_7...rTo506ROTFPrTo
if so, seems that he has fixed some and, looking at the link, if we all contribute, this is the closest to a solution.
comments?

Old 10-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phil alvirez
is this fellow you are talking about?
https://fundrazr.com/11RWBd?ref=sh_7...rTo506ROTFPrTo
if so, seems that he has fixed some and, looking at the link, if we all contribute, this is the closest to a solution.
comments?

Yes, sir - that is the Josh I've been chatting with. I'm waiting for him to get back in town so I can send my ECU to him in hopes he can fix my "sometimes crank, sometimes start" issue.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is, in my opinion, that Chrysler and MB are in an argument about the use of the hardware/software propriety system for coding the SKREEM modules. The background of their argument could be anything, but it seems, until solved, there is no solution. If a SKREEM module craps out, you need a new one. Chrysler claims they have none, can't get them and are seeking a new supplier. Even if they had them, I'm not sure they can code them. They may have them but can't get a deal with MB and so can't insert the code. I believe nothing they say - IMO they are pathological liars and really don't care about us. So after a lot of attempts to get answers and help I have begun a search for an attorney to sue both of them. They have destroyed the value of these cars, and many individual owners of Crossfires and Dodge-branded Sprinters are suffering real financial loss. So I feel the only way to make them rectify this situation is to mount a law suit.

I last wrote Manley several weeks ago asking him to arrange to either get me a properly coded SKREEM by October 15th or give me a credit off sir market value for my car at a Chrysler dealer. After four letters to him and several phone conversations with the gent that called me after the first letter, I have gotten no help, and not a single written response. So today I contacted the Chicago Bar Association for a referral to a law firm that handles consumer issues. They gave me a referral and here is what I sent today to the contact attorney. Nothing heard back yet. Anyone who wants to use this to contact an appropriate attorney they may have contact with has ny permission to use it. I will also send this to the writer at The Detroit Free Press, and any other automotive press contacts I can get. FCA just got slammed for $40 million for conducting a decade long fraud by the SEC, and I doubt that any responsible company or CEO would want to avoid more negative publicity. But the way these people act toward we their customers is unfathomable. Who knows why they refuse to even contact me - probably vice by their attorneys. I think they are demented. And gutless. So we'll see what happens. Here is what I sent to the attorney:

"
Dear Mr. Edelman:

I got your contact info as a referral from the Chicago Bar Association today. Here’s my story:

I own a Chrysler Crossfire, designed, engineered, and sold by Daimler Chrysler when they were together. They have since split up, and Chrysler, the brand that the car was sold under, was bought by FIAT and is now known, in the U.S., as FCA -Fiat Chrysler of America. HQ in Auburn Hills, MI. Daimler is the parent of Mercedes Benz, not sure how it is officially known here.

The car was essentially an MB SLK model, mechanically, with a Chrysler penned body on top. The car was assembled in Germany by Karmann but sold worldwide through Chrysler dealers. Worldwide they sold 75 thousand of them in model years 2004-2008. It was meant to be a “halo” car for the new “Partnership of Equals” as the Krauts called, then they called all the shots and so built this car on their earlier model MB SLK platform and systems. The problems with the car are actually caused by the MB parts, systems, and designs that are incorporated in the total package. Additionally, during this time, MB also made Sprinter vans that were sold under the Dodge name in some instances., and these also share many of the same problems.

My car has been stuck in my garage for about a year. The reason is a small electronic module has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced. It is known as a SKREEM module and is essentially the part that allows your key to operate the car. When these go bad, the car will not start, because the SKREEM module will not send the proper “handshake code” to allow the rest of the electrical system to operate. This part is classified as a theft related part, so Chrysler controls the codes that need to be put into it in order to operate my car. It is “vehicle specific” in that it must have the code in it that Chrysler assigned to my VIN number. No other part will do. There is no aftermarket source, You can’t use a used one from another car. MB has the identical part, but cannot sell it to me because their parts system will not accept a Chrysler VIN and they don’t have access to the Chrysler codes. Chrysler claims they don’t have any of the parts and are searching for a new supplier, but won’t give me my code - the one for my car - and also claims that MB owns or controls the system to get the module programmed and won’t give them access to it. The identical part - they were all made by Siemens - is available from MB in two days if I want it for an MB car, but unavailable for a Chrysler.

This is a potential Class Action suit I would think. I am told that Chrysler has about 600 vehicle owners waiting for these parts. Incidentally, the part costs about $270/ from MB over the counter, but Chrysler recently doubled the price to $554. - and they will tell me that if I want one I have to pay in full, non-refundable, for it and it is non-returnable. But of course they then say that if ordered there is no ETA for the part. During the last year I have been told they would have them “in 60 days”, then “by October 15th” and now they say “by Jan 15th, 2020.” Since this module can fail at any time, and is unavailable, and so-far no one has been able to figure out how to get around it, every single Crossfire and Dodge Sprinter sold by Chrysler (now FCA) can stop at any moment, anywhere, for no known cause except the failure of this module, and never run again.

So I’ve sent four letters about this to the CEO of FCA, Michael Manley. Never a written response, but a gent called twice and said he would get me one, then nothing. Anyone driving one of these cars can be unhorsed, permanently, at any moment, and lose the ability to start, drive or sell the car for anything but scrap/parts. The value of the cars has plummeted. Before this snafu, my car was worth about $15K. Now I’d be lucky to get 10-20% of that from a junkyard. Plain and simple, I - and many others - have been screwed by FCA and perhaps MB.

Here’s a web address for the Crossfire Forum where this is a hot topic. There are a lot of posts on the thread I started about this. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...reem-unit.html

Chrysler seems to have become a company that cares little about its customers, or the law. They took an $800 million plus hit for an emissions cheating violation, and about two weeks ago were fined over $40 million by the SEC for a decade long fraud in which dozens or perhaps hundreds of FCA people and Execs operated a nationwide scheme to report bogus monthly sales figures. I believe they would prefer to not have the kind of publicity this type of action would generate.

Let me now if you are interested in this, or know of someone who might be."

Regarding Josh - I appreciate his position and understand his situation, but I'm going to pursue the track of getting FCA and MB to do what is right for their trusting customers who are now being screwed. I stopped at a car show last Sunday and spoke with another vet who had a beautiful Xfire coupe, and told him about this situation. Really, all owners are in a jeopardous situation. Any owner can bereft with an essentially worthless vehicle at the next turn of the key. Who will want to buy one of these vehicles who knows about this? This calamity can only increase as time goes by. FCA, are you listening?

Last edited by wolfstalker; 10-15-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Lawyer asked me for documents! I directed him, again, to this thread.

Back a ways someone, I think from Canada, offered me $3000 for the car. I've decided I will take $4300 for it. Everything fine, about 69,000 I think, just needs the SKREEM, but I really need the garage space before the snow flies. 2005 yellow Limited Roadster, was performing perfectly before the SKREEM went. No marks whatsoever. Hate to do this but I'm stuck.

I will still pursue this affair with FCA. To the grave, this lawyer or another. Would like the car to go to someone who understands this situation. My wife got adamant about me taking the car to Detroit and putting it on the lawn at FCA. I'll make the same offer to them and see what they say. Anyone interested, get in touch. wolfstalker@sbcglobal.net

I can't figure out how to put a listing under cars for sale, and I can't take pics of the car at the moment as I will need to push it out of the garage, and my condition won't let me do that.

Last edited by wolfstalker; 10-16-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: additional material.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking re: SKREEM Repair Infomation

Originally Posted by wolfstalker
The problem is, in my opinion, that Chrysler and MB are in an argument about the use of the hardware/software propriety system for coding the SKREEM modules. The background of their argument could be anything, but it seems, until solved, there is no solution. If a SKREEM module craps out, you need a new one. Chrysler claims they have none, can't get them and are seeking a new supplier. Even if they had them, I'm not sure they can code them. They may have them but can't get a deal with MB and so can't insert the code. I believe nothing they say - IMO they are pathological liars and really don't care about us. So after a lot of attempts to get answers and help I have begun a search for an attorney to sue both of them. They have destroyed the value of these cars, and many individual owners of Crossfires and Dodge-branded Sprinters are suffering real financial loss. So I feel the only way to make them rectify this situation is to mount a law suit.

I last wrote Manley several weeks ago asking him to arrange to either get me a properly coded SKREEM by October 15th or give me a credit off sir market value for my car at a Chrysler dealer. After four letters to him and several phone conversations with the gent that called me after the first letter, I have gotten no help, and not a single written response. So today I contacted the Chicago Bar Association for a referral to a law firm that handles consumer issues. They gave me a referral and here is what I sent today to the contact attorney. Nothing heard back yet. Anyone who wants to use this to contact an appropriate attorney they may have contact with has ny permission to use it. I will also send this to the writer at The Detroit Free Press, and any other automotive press contacts I can get. FCA just got slammed for $40 million for conducting a decade long fraud by the SEC, and I doubt that any responsible company or CEO would want to avoid more negative publicity. But the way these people act toward we their customers is unfathomable. Who knows why they refuse to even contact me - probably vice by their attorneys. I think they are demented. And gutless. So we'll see what happens. Here is what I sent to the attorney:

"
Dear Mr. Edelman:

I got your contact info as a referral from the Chicago Bar Association today. Here’s my story:

I own a Chrysler Crossfire, designed, engineered, and sold by Daimler Chrysler when they were together. They have since split up, and Chrysler, the brand that the car was sold under, was bought by FIAT and is now known, in the U.S., as FCA -Fiat Chrysler of America. HQ in Auburn Hills, MI. Daimler is the parent of Mercedes Benz, not sure how it is officially known here.

The car was essentially an MB SLK model, mechanically, with a Chrysler penned body on top. The car was assembled in Germany by Karmann but sold worldwide through Chrysler dealers. Worldwide they sold 75 thousand of them in model years 2004-2008. It was meant to be a “halo” car for the new “Partnership of Equals” as the Krauts called, then they called all the shots and so built this car on their earlier model MB SLK platform and systems. The problems with the car are actually caused by the MB parts, systems, and designs that are incorporated in the total package. Additionally, during this time, MB also made Sprinter vans that were sold under the Dodge name in some instances., and these also share many of the same problems.

My car has been stuck in my garage for about a year. The reason is a small electronic module has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced. It is known as a SKREEM module and is essentially the part that allows your key to operate the car. When these go bad, the car will not start, because the SKREEM module will not send the proper “handshake code” to allow the rest of the electrical system to operate. This part is classified as a theft related part, so Chrysler controls the codes that need to be put into it in order to operate my car. It is “vehicle specific” in that it must have the code in it that Chrysler assigned to my VIN number. No other part will do. There is no aftermarket source, You can’t use a used one from another car. MB has the identical part, but cannot sell it to me because their parts system will not accept a Chrysler VIN and they don’t have access to the Chrysler codes. Chrysler claims they don’t have any of the parts and are searching for a new supplier, but won’t give me my code - the one for my car - and also claims that MB owns or controls the system to get the module programmed and won’t give them access to it. The identical part - they were all made by Siemens - is available from MB in two days if I want it for an MB car, but unavailable for a Chrysler.

This is a potential Class Action suit I would think. I am told that Chrysler has about 600 vehicle owners waiting for these parts. Incidentally, the part costs about $270/ from MB over the counter, but Chrysler recently doubled the price to $554. - and they will tell me that if I want one I have to pay in full, non-refundable, for it and it is non-returnable. But of course they then say that if ordered there is no ETA for the part. During the last year I have been told they would have them “in 60 days”, then “by October 15th” and now they say “by Jan 15th, 2020.” Since this module can fail at any time, and is unavailable, and so-far no one has been able to figure out how to get around it, every single Crossfire and Dodge Sprinter sold by Chrysler (now FCA) can stop at any moment, anywhere, for no known cause except the failure of this module, and never run again.

So I’ve sent four letters about this to the CEO of FCA, Michael Manley. Never a written response, but a gent called twice and said he would get me one, then nothing. Anyone driving one of these cars can be unhorsed, permanently, at any moment, and lose the ability to start, drive or sell the car for anything but scrap/parts. The value of the cars has plummeted. Before this snafu, my car was worth about $15K. Now I’d be lucky to get 10-20% of that from a junkyard. Plain and simple, I - and many others - have been screwed by FCA and perhaps MB.

Here’s a web address for the Crossfire Forum where this is a hot topic. There are a lot of posts on the thread I started about this. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...reem-unit.html

Chrysler seems to have become a company that cares little about its customers, or the law. They took an $800 million plus hit for an emissions cheating violation, and about two weeks ago were fined over $40 million by the SEC for a decade long fraud in which dozens or perhaps hundreds of FCA people and Execs operated a nationwide scheme to report bogus monthly sales figures. I believe they would prefer to not have the kind of publicity this type of action would generate.

Let me now if you are interested in this, or know of someone who might be."

Regarding Josh - I appreciate his position and understand his situation, but I'm going to pursue the track of getting FCA and MB to do what is right for their trusting customers who are now being screwed. I stopped at a car show last Sunday and spoke with another vet who had a beautiful Xfire coupe, and told him about this situation. Really, all owners are in a jeopardous situation. Any owner can bereft with an essentially worthless vehicle at the next turn of the key. Who will want to buy one of these vehicles who knows about this? This calamity can only increase as time goes by. FCA, are you listening?
I wish you luck Sir,

I am also behind you with your problem . I have been called a Troll because I speak of my Key issue and warn other about your Skreem problem and no possible solution to this issue you and many have or will have. I wish you the best but I think you will have a better chance of sueing them and them buying you out than for them to help any of us unless we all join your class action law suit . Because some feel we are giving this car a bad name and discouraging interest in this car . I have blocked those who call names like bullies I don't have time for this kid play if you don't have a good thing to say then say nothing at all I say !!!. Because this is a real problem not a made up problem and those who call me a troll I am surprised they don't call you this as well. because we speak of these problems often . I think I must get under some of these bullies skin LOLOL. Im not gonna disappear and neither should you Wolfstalker . I wish you the best of luck

Old 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM

I need to solve my own car situation - because of my health issues. I want to solve this because we have all been treated callously by both these companies. Neither of them is a paragon of virtue. They shouldn't be allowed to create and continue a situation like this SKREEM snafu. All/any of the cars could be in the same situation at the next turn of the key. Their control of this module and the vehicle specific codes is harming those that need the part, and everyone as the issue is a huge detriment to sale values. I just listed my car and stated clearly the situation as it is known to be.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:17 PM

i dont think the 1s that created this situation will do a thing to fix it.
the only hope is that some enterprising, knowledgeable fellow finds the solution.
remember 'the day the universe changed" by James Burke?
he brings the idea that sometimes 1 individual had an idea that has changed our lives forever.
hackers do incredible things by trying the unimaginable and succeed-although for evil purposes. but the point is, if they do it, why not another fellow (s) ?
for example: Josh, or the german fellow under the code viper666 are the closest i recall, that can find the solution by developing a way-or some1 manages to evade the skreen altogether...

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...X_NAx8Q4dUDCAg

Last edited by phil alvirez; 10-18-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 AM

worries kill.
it would be interesting to learn who (besides wolfstalker) is facing this problem of skreem failing.
so far i havent heard of any other.
this is with the purpose of getting a realistic figure so we can decide to live without worrying that this could happen to us.
but, even if there are others, they seem to be few, so again, i think we all can go to bed without worrying for this.
it is the same with everything in life. if we start worrying about all the things that, even if remote, can fail, we will be dead in no time.
besides, seems that no matter how hard we have tried, so far does not seem to be a solution.
Josh has not provided a link to happy customers.
neither the british company.
so, as James Dean said, "dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die today."

Old 10-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has this thread been merged? I have been 2 hours reading through it again; it's huge.. Just wondering..

Old 10-23-2019, 12:24 PM

I had an interested buyer for my car at $4300. but the SKREEM issue scared him off. So, at least for me, this situation is costing me real money. It really doesn't matter if it's one or one thousand cars that are effected and rendered worthless by FCA's lack of attention to this situation, not to someone that thought he had a car and it turns out he has a lawn ornament. I approached a savvy law firm here in Chicago and they are taking the case, so maybe we can push FCA to be more responsible and responsive to their customers. I'll keep you informed of progress. Please post if you need a SKREEM and or have other "part unavailable" issues with your cars. Thank you.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Unhappy re: SKREEM Repair Infomation

Originally Posted by wolfstalker
i had an interested buyer for my car at $4300. But the skreem issue scared him off. So, at least for me, this situation is costing me real money. It really doesn't matter if it's one or one thousand cars that are effected and rendered worthless by fca's lack of attention to this situation, not to someone that thought he had a car and it turns out he has a lawn ornament. I approached a savvy law firm here in chicago and they are taking the case, so maybe we can push fca to be more responsible and responsive to their customers. I'll keep you informed of progress. Please post if you need a skreem and or have other "part unavailable" issues with your cars. Thank you.

as wolfstalker asks in his post to post if there are those , who have had trouble getting vin# related parts and i have tried to no avail !!! Warning !!! There are so far no .!!! Vin# related parts available for this car !! And i doubt there ever will be !! Supposed to be a 2020 eta . If i am wrong i am man enough to say i was wrong !! But so far there are none !!

Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 PM

I towed my car out today and it will be parked outside, under cover, until the parts become available or someone buys it at a number I can accept. I aw yesterday that needswings has once again changed their SKREEM module page from showing Jan 15th ETA to "No ETA." I copied the page and sent it to the lawyers so they can see how we are being screwed around. This is a sizable firm with about 12 lawyers and more support staff. They pursue consumer class actions so I expect they will get FCA's attention. Any of you who have been frustrated by the inaction on the part of FCA to fix this or feel you have suffered financial loss, or have other issues or parts (specifically) you haven't been able to get, please send me the info and your name and email so I can compile a list of what we need and how we are injured. I promise not to email you anything else except about this action. I'm Don at wolfstalker@sbcglobal.net Please don't send me junk. Thanks you.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Received 149 Likes on 115 Posts

These are all Mercedes parts
and still available to the owners of Mercedes branded vehicles.

my pea sized brain tells me it would be a simple agreement between MB AND FCA

FCA will have to initiate this and be an advocate on our behalf. I would be Really ok with MB direct and still ok (but less so) to have to buy from FCA after they’ve purchased from MB

Old 10-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 325 Posts

Wolfstalker, I need a key as I only have one and would buy a spare screem if they were available. Thankfully I am still on the road today.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 PM

Wolfstalker ,
I like Zeracer want to buy a back up key or keys
You many send info to Manlaw38@yahoo.com you may forward my info to FCA for this info .

Last edited by Valk; 10-25-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:49 PM

I see this on the other thread.
"We at Mobile Diagnostics and Programming LLC, www.mdp-services.com have found a solution for the SKREEM module failures that is so common on these vehicles. We are able to repair the SKREEM modules. We have test vehicles that also allow us to test and validate repairs. All we would need is the Key, SKREEM and the ECM. Feel free to send me a private message or contact us through our website."

OK, this sounds like it's worth a try. I just cancelled my order for the SKREEM and requested my refund with Needswings because I have little confidence in what FCA seems to say, or in my case, doesn't say. I'm willing to be the guinea pig. I'll try it. I ave the car under a trussed up cover at the shop, and they are familiar with most kinds of cars, especially MB, BMW, Audi, Jag, etc. In order to be of benefit to Crossfire owners, and MDP, we should make this as public and transparent as possible. So I'll post here everything I send to MDP and whatever they answer me. Since this is a trial that will benefit all Crossfire owners I suggest there might be a donation/collection to raise the cost to cover the test and develop some documentation so that, if it works, we can lead anyone effected to MDP for this service. MDP doesn't have to tell us anything they don't want to, but since this might bring them a very substantial number of customers, I hope they would agree to help us promote their services and also not raise their prices. Here's a test - will nine other people put up $50 each to match my $50 to cover the cost of this test? Let's see how big your hearts are?

Old 10-27-2019, 10:18 PM

Here's what I just sent to MDP via their website. If this works, and in effect I can vouch for it publicly on the Forum, that should be good for us and MDP. If it is a viable solution, I will propose in the lawsuit that one of the things that FCA should/must do is send out a TSB to all FCA dealerships, which should help Crossfire and Dodge Sprinter owners everywhere, and be a very good source of business for MDP. How about somebody else volunteer to take donations from as many owners that want to help solve this snafu. I will be spending a couple hundred more to have HI-TECH pull the modules and reinstall them, so no one can say I screwed up anything. We should do this ASAP because the car is outdoors with a cover and tarp over it, and no one wants to push it in and out. And winter is coming.

Let's see what MDP says about this idea. I think my car is a good one to use as the guinea pig because the keys still work for the doors, the dash lights up, the battery is strong and it isn't/can't be used until this is fixed. Want to get behind this?

"I understand your statement and will send you my SKREEM module, two key fobs that are working, and the ECM, as soon as I can locate it. I understand your charge for doing this and eating it and sending it back to me is $450. I will pay you that according to your terms and see if anyone else will chip in. I will also help to bring your service, if successful, to the attention of those who view the Crossfire Forum and try to figure out a way to reach the FCA dealers that sold these cars and Dodge Sprinters. I want to make this solution - assuming it works, as available as possible for those in need. Hopefully this will be a real win-win for all concerned. Let me know if you are in agreement. Thank you"

Last edited by wolfstalker; 10-27-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: SKREEM Repair Infomation