Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

"Apparatus Box" Blower Motor

Old 02-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Apparatus Box" Blower Motor

Not at all sure if apparatus box is the correct name - parts guy at German Auto Parts pulled that name from his system. Anyway, it is the large plastic box next to the battery - has all of the cars ecu's in it. It also has a small squirrel cage fan that pulls air from the cockpit and over the ecu's. Mice chewed the wires right next to the motor which means I have to pull the sucker out. I've done this on my personal XFire years ago and my recollection is it came right out with no issues. This car is fighting me.

The motor is loose, but the duct that connects it to the interior keeps it from coming out. I cannot see how to remove that plastic duct.

I have searched this forum with no luck - most likely since I can't come up with the correct name of the thing. I also need the Bosch part number as the last time it was 1/3 the price of the MB branded part. The mercedes part number is 170.545.0095 for the blower motor.

Any tips or guidance appreciated. In addition to this forum, I have searched my 3 volume set of Factory Repair manuals and cannot find any reference to this part. Of course they show in LARGE pictures how to remove the top engine cover/air filter assembly!

Cheers all
Henry - HPMotors

Old 02-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: "Apparatus Box" Blower Motor

Originally Posted by HPMotors1
Not at all sure if apparatus box is the correct name - parts guy at German Auto Parts pulled that name from his system. Anyway, it is the large plastic box next to the battery - has all of the cars ecu's in it. It also has a small squirrel cage fan that pulls air from the cockpit and over the ecu's. Mice chewed the wires right next to the motor which means I have to pull the sucker out. I've done this on my personal XFire years ago and my recollection is it came right out with no issues. This car is fighting me.

The motor is loose, but the duct that connects it to the interior keeps it from coming out. I cannot see how to remove that plastic duct.

I have searched this forum with no luck - most likely since I can't come up with the correct name of the thing. I also need the Bosch part number as the last time it was 1/3 the price of the MB branded part. The mercedes part number is 170.545.0095 for the blower motor.

Any tips or guidance appreciated. In addition to this forum, I have searched my 3 volume set of Factory Repair manuals and cannot find any reference to this part. Of course they show in LARGE pictures how to remove the top engine cover/air filter assembly!

Cheers all
Henry - HPMotors
Normally the Bosch number is on the part as well, if not some of these part suppliers list various makers of identical parts and often have the makers part number with the part.
I would guess it is called an ECU cooling fan, I Googled it and they came up.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-11-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:07 PM

can't get the bosch number because I can't get the blower out of the car. That is problem #1. Finding a replacement for the blower is problem #2. I got that MB part # from the German Auto Parts sales guy.

Any idea what the correct name for this "Apparatus Box" is?

Old 02-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

From the student reference :

and

Old 02-11-2020, 02:59 PM

OK - Control Module Box it is. Got blower out - or I should say I had my head tech do it for me. Turns out this car has a blower made by Papst. It is labeled as a "RV40-18/12. Found it online at $46 but a 28 day lead time with no guarantee. I would have sworn that the one I installed on my car was a Bosch item.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:33 PM

Done and Done. Found it on Amazon for right at $80 with shipping. Listed as a papst piece. Picture looks like our little blower. Others had it with better prices but very long delivery times. Amazon also had the MB branded article for twice the price.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:37 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

OK - Control Module Box it is. Got blower out - or I should say I had my head tech do it for me. Turns out this car has a blower made by Papst. It is labeled as a "RV40-18/12. Found it online at $46 but a 28 day lead time with no guarantee. I would have sworn that the one I installed on my car was a Bosch item.
It could well have been a Bosch part, many parts are made by multiple makers each vying for market share and contracts with various manufacturers.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Found a couple of used ones for $20 , if your interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W2...kAAOSwbWJcUA4n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W2...QAAOSwvg1bYRdr

Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 02-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the tech did it ?? I can't get the blower out because of the inlet duct ??

Last edited by Ghis4U; 02-29-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the tech did it ?? I cant' get the blower out because of the inlet duct ??