Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

How to lock coupe

Old 03-17-2023, 07:15 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How to lock coupe

New purchase acts like SKREEM is not there. Fobs and anti-theft do not work.
If lock on console, everything unlocks when open door.
Any suggestions on how to lock when fobs do not work ? Car starts and runs great.

Old 03-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: How to lock coupe

Originally Posted by Padgett
New purchase acts like SKREEM is not there. Fobs and anti-theft do not work.
If lock on console, everything unlocks when open door.
Any suggestions on how to lock when fobs do not work ? Car starts and runs great.
If it’s new batteries, go into a dark room and press the button on the remote and check the red lens for a flash. If not flash, remotes probably not working properly.

If there is a flash, can try and re-sun the remotes to your car. I had dead batteries in my spare for too long and after replacing the key had to be synced as it would not work.

I’d eliminate those simple things first.

Old 03-17-2023, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

You have mentioned you don't think the SKREEM is 'there". The SKREEM is your "FOB receiver". If the SKREEM is not there, the FOB buttons wont work but the console button will.

Problem is, if the SKREEM is gone, what is the ECU getting it's start permission from? This is my basic diagram of the SKREEM/BCM/Console switch/ CLP-SSM
If you put the key in the door lock and turn it to lock and unlock, does the passenger door, trunk, etc. lock and unlock with it? If so, the SKREEM is there and maybe the SKREEM's FOB receiver function has died.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-17-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:12 PM

No locking/unlocking driver's door with key only affects that door and not passenger or hatch locks. Opening the door does unlock all. Console switch does lock/unlock all but only if key is on (BCM must be powered).
Catch 22 ?

Old 03-19-2023, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts

I have never used the remote to lock/unlock my car.

After reading your post I replaced the 2 batteries (they were not dead) inserted key in ignition to reengage the sync …….and checked it out.
* the key fob flashes 3 times when depressing the lock button
* the key fob flashes once when unlocking
BUT nothing effects the door or trunk lock

the key WILL unlock the doors - the Dash lock/unlock toggle WORKS for doors and trunk

PROBLEM : with key in- hand while outside the car I cannot lock the trunk !!

Any suggestions ?

Old 03-19-2023, 02:40 PM

So two of us have the same problem. JoeO: has any work been done on the SKREEM ? Has an indepth scan been done ?
I am getting one error that apparently is common if the Radio Frequency Locking option is not there.
B1000 Stored&Current
N54/3 (Radio DAS control module)
Control unit RFL

Old 03-19-2023, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

Remembering previous cautions by this website about keeping old batteries in the remote and after reading your article yesterday I decided to replace them. Had no idea if the remote worked prior to this because I never locked or unlocked the car with the remote.

No work has been done on the SKREEM in my 5 years. I did do a scan last summer with an OBD reader and nothing showed up. You did an in-depth scan… is there some thing different than a regular scan. I don’t know about the radio frequency locking option….but I’ll look into it.

This is the first electronic glitch I’ve ever encountered. A small one nonetheless

Old 03-19-2023, 06:15 PM

Have been through details many times but my scanner is able to drill down far beyond the ODB-2 details, and the Autel Diaglink is the least expensive scanner ($88 with coupon on AZ) I've found that can do so and export results to a PC. No lights or top level codes found since I fixed the BAS/ESP/
The N54/3 is not in the service manual but in a Mercedes document I do not have. Is it downloadable ?
I have a remote testing device and a green light comes on when pressing lock or unlock in the 300-320Mhz range.
Have a red ring I hold on the dash keyhole that a diode flashes when the car reads the chip. Works fine in SLK but does not flash in coupe.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:58 PM

Well that makes two of us with basicall the same issue: cannot lock the hatch. Any ideas ?
BTW can open driver's door and then manually lock passenger door and stays locked when close and lock or unlock driver's door with key.
Hatch stays unlocked.
Can then reach in window and unlock/open either door and nothing else happens. Confirms anti-theft is thoroughly ex also.
Not a problem, just need a way to lock hatch.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Well that makes two of us with basicall the same issue: cannot lock the hatch. Any ideas ?
BTW can open driver's door and then manually lock passenger door and stays locked when close and lock or unlock driver's door with key.
Hatch stays unlocked.
Can then reach in window and unlock/open either door and nothing else happens. Confirms anti-theft is thoroughly ex also.
Not a problem, just need a way to lock hatch.
Did you check the yellow hose for the hatch to make sure it is not leaking or broken?

Old 03-21-2023, 11:03 AM

I said in post #4 "Console switch does lock/unlock all" this includes the hatch. The console switch locks and unlocks both doors and the hatch, just as soon as I open the door, all unlock again. Can lock the doors with the buttons but is no button for the hatch.
have had two thoughts: either add a lock switch for the hatch or disconnect the door open signal. Second seems easier but would lose dome lights.
Anyone know if the BCM is always waiting for the "door open" or does it get a "turn on" signal when that or a fob button is pressed.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I said in post #4 "Console switch does lock/unlock all" this includes the hatch. The console switch locks and unlocks both doors and the hatch, just as soon as I open the door, all unlock again. Can lock the doors with the buttons but is no button for the hatch.
have had two thoughts: either add a lock switch for the hatch or disconnect the door open signal. Second seems easier but would lose dome lights.
Anyone know if the BCM is always waiting for the "door open" or does it get a "turn on" signal when that or a fob button is pressed.
Just trying to help but your posts are not clear and redundant. You asked if the skreem was programmable? Wow

Then you keep creating a new thread for the same issue.

Your cluster is supposedly "glued" in. You don't even try dropping the bottom dash to see if the skreem is there by looking from the bottom.

I am done, what a waste of time.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:50 PM

Thank you, you are entitled to your opinion.
My threads have been a living document starting when I first bought in January what I consider to be a nice '04 red coupe for pocket change. At that time it had
- a constant BAS/ESP light
- erratic throttle response and a P0122 codde
- fobs did not work
- no antitheft

Since then I have come to he conclusion that the SKREEM is either not there or has lost its mind. Does not really matter since car starts and runs just fine. Only issue left is that I can only lock the hatch with the console switch and unlocks as soon as I open the door. I started this new thread since nothing seemed to address this one issue. How to lock the hatch without a recognized fob (problem seems to be a B1000 N54/3 but do not care, just want to be able to lock the hatch. Period.

Did think I was being clear and precise. Evidently not. Apologies.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:40 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

I have the solution,I think it is the correct colour.
Write the code down and put it somewhere safe.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:49 PM
Forum Regular

An Al Gore Lockbox is the ticket

Old 03-21-2023, 06:02 PM

a) 5s and 10s don't buy anything, you need Benjamins
b) not going to drill holes, pretty sure I'll find an electrical solution.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:57 PM

Reading through the service manual on page 8N-35 it talks about global vs selective central locking. Apparently in selective mode opening a door only unlocks that door and not all.
However the only way given is to press both buttons on the fob and my fob transmits but the car does not receive (fault B1000 N54/3).
Is there another way to toggle the Central Locking. ? With the Micropod maybe ? Does anyone know or am I SOL/

Old 03-22-2023, 06:36 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Reading through the service manual on page 8N-35 it talks about global vs selective central locking. Apparently in selective mode opening a door only unlocks that door and not all.
However the only way given is to press both buttons on the fob and my fob transmits but the car does not receive (fault B1000 N54/3).
Is there another way to toggle the Central Locking. ? With the Micropod maybe ? Does anyone know or am I SOL/
I think you have misunderstood the locking of doors under the selective method.
It is a bit confusing for sure.
From the Service Manual.
Global/Selective Central Locking
The keyless entry system has a Global or Selective mode function for central locking that can be programed by the
customer. The factory setting is Global, which will lock and unlock both doors, rear liftgate and fuel door centrally
when the respective button is pressed once. The Selective mode will only change which power locks unlock. To
activate the Selective mode, press both the Unlock and Lock buttons simultaneously for approximately five seconds
until the battery check lamp in the transmitter flashes twice. The Unlock button will then only unlock the driver door
and the fuel door when it is pressed once. Pressing the Unlock button a second time, unlocks the passenger’s door
and the rear liftgate. The factory setting can be restored by pressing both the Unlock and Lock buttons simultaneously
again for approximately five seconds until the battery check lamp in the transmitter flashes twice. If the
vehicle was locked using the power lock switch in the center console while in the Selective mode, opening a door
from inside unlocks that door only. If the vehicle was locked using the power lock switch in the center console while
in the Global mode, opening a door from the inside unlocks both doors and the rear liftgate. If the vehicle was
locked using the RKE transmitter, the doors and rear liftgate cannot be unlocked using the power lock switch in the
center console. If the vehicle was locked from the outside, opening a door from the inside will not unlock other
openings but it will trigger the alarm.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-22-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:50 PM

Makes sense to me - from your post "If the vehicle was locked using the power lock switch in the center console while in the Selective mode, opening a door
from inside unlocks that door only."

That is exactly what I need.Oonly problem is how to get into the Selective mode when the fobs do not work.
Wonder if the MicroPod can do it, I have not gotten around to installing it yet. Anyone know ?

Old 03-24-2023, 05:24 PM

Oh well have found a temporary answer. BUNGEE.

Quick Reply: How to lock coupe