Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

CPS Install

Old 09-05-2023, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPS Install

I am undertaking installing the new Bosch CPS. After a little work I got the electrical harness off. Now I am trying to get to the bolt to remove the actual CPS. I have viewed a bunch of videos and none of the vehicles in the videos seems to still have the bracket that I have on my crossfire. I assume serves as a heat shield. Can anyone tell me if the CPS bolt can be removed without taking the bracket off or do I need take it off. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: CPS Install

You are doing it wrong. I NEVER take the connector off until I get the entire thing out of there. Plug the connector back onto the sensor, now.
And forget about the heat shield, removing it does not make it any easier.

Here is my suggestion, Iv'e changed several since 2009 and this is how I do it:

Using the socket/bit, an extension and ratchet, start removing the screw ( I know you are working blind, but they had to put the tab with the bolt pointing down cause it was hard for you but easy for them).
As you operate the rachet, hold the CPS by the cable connector and pull gently, as the bolt comes out, GENTLY pull the rachet/CPS/bolt out together as one unit.
When you get it into your field of vision, CAREFULLY set the rachet/extension/socket aside, staring at the bolt, do not let it fall out.
Grab the bolt and set it aside.
Disconnect the cable connector from the CPS.

You can put it back in without the connector on the new CPS, but I NEVER disconnect that plug until I have the entire assembly out of the car - first, it's hard to get the cable to release hidden like that. Second, the cable and connector make it easier to pull it all out without dropping the screw.

Easy.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (09-06-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 02:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Absolutely spot on!

Old 09-09-2023, 08:43 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

And put a rag over the top of the flexible heat shield you have to bend a bit out of the way to get your arm way down in there as it will cut you to ribbons before ya know it (at least it did me). When I replaced mine my arm looked like I tangled with a stray cat and I didn't even know it until my arm was bleading and I had wiped it on my shirt a few times.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I used a long extension but yes it gets tight in there….