Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

TPS & BAS ESP Issues

Old 11-02-2023, 12:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TPS & BAS ESP Issues

Short backstory I believe the BAS/ESP light was on prior to me buying the car & changing my TPS sensors and factory wheels/tires but I cant remember (Possible YAW sensor?). Yes I've done the BAS/ESP reset multiple time.. anyway back to the TPS (What I think is the fault with the BAS/ESP because my unit is probably detecting no sensors so low tire pressure?) So originally I went to a local tire shop, purchased rims, tires, and sensors. I cant remember what they told me because it was so long ago, but either they couldn't connect to the unit to program, or couldn't connect to the old sensors or both.. anyway I told them install new sensors (this was before they realized they could not connect to the TPS) Im assuming they didn't have the right equipment as I was investigating similar situations on the site. Basically now I'm left with 4 tires, no sensors, and no access to the old sensors to possibly clone. Where do I go from here can I purchase new sensors with the right MHZ frequency and can another shop possibly program these correctly? If I call around what tool would they need to do this?

Old 11-02-2023, 12:52 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: TPS & BAS ESP Issues

Your BAS/ESP light has nothing to do with the TPMS. Use the search feature at the top R/H corner of the page.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Your BAS/ESP light has nothing to do with the TPMS. Use the search feature at the top R/H corner of the page.
Yes I’m familiar with the search function, I assumed it was related from another post elsewhere someone stated the low tire pressure could trigger bas/esp thanks for the info! Back down the rabbit hole lol.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:24 PM

This is the post I was referring to in another thread

Ditto. The BAS/ESP lamp will light up if any fault is found that would/could effect your braking (BAS) or traction control (ESP). Tires that are under inflated, or are triggering a "low pressure" warning from the TPMS system in theory will affect braking and traction, hence your BAS/ESP lamp coming on. I had the same thing occuring while all the time having my "low pressure" lamp on. After replacing all the sensors when purchasing new wheels, all the warning lamps disappeared and have not returned.

You may want to hook up an OBDII reader and check for any codes if you can. This is also very helpful in troubleshooting.

Old 11-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemadeit94
This is the post I was referring to in another thread

Ditto. The BAS/ESP lamp will light up if any fault is found that would/could effect your braking (BAS) or traction control (ESP). Tires that are under inflated, or are triggering a "low pressure" warning from the TPMS system in theory will affect braking and traction, hence your BAS/ESP lamp coming on. I had the same thing occuring while all the time having my "low pressure" lamp on. After replacing all the sensors when purchasing new wheels, all the warning lamps disappeared and have not returned.

You may want to hook up an OBDII reader and check for any codes if you can. This is also very helpful in troubleshooting.

When referencing another post, it might be best to include the SOURCE (forum member), in case the referenced material is invalid. There is a lot of incorrect off the cuff solutions abound. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
When referencing another post, it might be best to include the SOURCE (forum member), in case the referenced material is invalid. There is a lot of incorrect off the cuff solutions abound. Good luck.

True, I’ll try and find where I seen this at.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:48 PM

Replaced the break light switch for the hell of it since they're known to go bad, didn't help. Is there a way to scan for the codes my buddy up the street has a really high end snap on scanner just curious because it throws no engine codes etc.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemadeit94
Replaced the break light switch for the hell of it since they're known to go bad, didn't help. Is there a way to scan for the codes my buddy up the street has a really high end snap on scanner just curious because it throws no engine codes etc.
I saw your other post it was scanned as a Crossfire. Have him scan it as a 2004 SLK 320 and see if it can read the BAS/ESP module. (if it didn't read it the first time)

Old 11-06-2023, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ronman
I saw your other post it was scanned as a Crossfire. Have him scan it as a 2004 SLK 320 and see if it can read the BAS/ESP module. (if it didn't read it the first time)
Thanks for the info! Going to run it up there tomorrow and see what happens

Old 11-08-2023, 02:07 PM

Back down the rabbit hole... I just got the ESP system scanned and it through a bunch of codes 10 to be exact. Can someone please give me some guidance? Is this BCM related, it seems illogical to have all these issues at one time, but I have zero signs of a bad BCM from the typical posts around here. Can someone please try to decipher all of this mess?

Old 11-08-2023, 02:52 PM

What scanner did you use and what did you scan it as?

Old 11-08-2023, 04:31 PM

What scanner did you use and what did you scan it as?
Snap On its like a $17k unit, hes a pro shop. I just called him it was scanned as a Chrysler.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:45 PM

Well, actually it is a 2004 Mercedese SLK320 with a Chrysler body. Chrysler scans don't work too well.

The following users liked this post:
mikemadeit94 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 04:47 PM

Well, actually it is a 2004 Mercedese SLK320 with a Chrysler body. Chrysler scans don't work too well.
Right I understand, should I take it back up tomorrow and have him rescan as an 04 SLK320 and see if anything differs. I assume either way the codes are stored no matter what its scanned as?

Old 11-08-2023, 05:22 PM

I would try as those codes make no sense.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:23 PM

I would try as those codes make no sense.
got yah I’ll run it back up tomorrow and suggest he scans it as the 04 thanks

Old 11-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

If the guy can't tell that this car is no Chrysler, perhaps you should not be going to him at all. I lived in the small-ish town of Cumming, GA and went looking for someone to bleed brakes on the Crossfire and change the pads. I noticed that "Glovers Garage" was staffed by some middle-aged brothers and their sons, and an SLK320 was often in the parking lot. I stopped in and told the guy what I wanted done. His response, "Sure, we can do that. Now, ya know, this car is a Mercedes..." I knew right away I'd found the right shop. Find one like that.

The '320 was this particular guys' wife's daily driver, he'd already learned about the RCM issue and the "sticky key" problem........... Glovers is not a "German Auto SHop" but may as well have been.

mikemadeit94 (11-10-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 07:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
If the guy can't tell that this car is no Chrysler, perhaps you should not be going to him at all. I lived in the small-ish town of Cumming, GA and went looking for someone to bleed brakes on the Crossfire and change the pads. I noticed that "Glovers Garage" was staffed by some middle-aged brothers and their sons, and an SLK320 was often in the parking lot. I stopped in and told the guy what I wanted done. His response, "Sure, we can do that. Now, ya know, this car is a Mercedes..." I knew right away I'd found the right shop. Find one like that.

The '320 was this particular guys' wife's daily driver, he'd already learned about the RCM issue and the "sticky key" problem........... Glovers is not a "German Auto SHop" but may as well have been.
just looked up that shop it’s now Glover and SONS. It’s 45 minutes away from me. Maybe I’ll check it out some day if I’m in forsyth

Old 11-10-2023, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

I attempted to get the car rescanned, unfortunately they couldn’t get it to scan as an SLK manually. Apparently their snap on tool will automatically pull the vin and scan. Not to mention it’s an ultra high end unit I’m sure it knows what to actually scan for if they paid 18k for the setup. What they did do was clear the mountain of codes in the general health report so the ones that are coming back currently are Forsure having issues. Pizza I’m from a super small town, I’m probably the only one with this car here no one really knows **** about it hence why I’m lurking these forums and doing my own work 90% of the time. We only have 4 or 5 independent shops in town all of which I’ve dealt with that were average at best.

M60A3Driver (11-10-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 05:24 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

this thread started with BAS/ESP question. The codes show above relating to that problem are 1860 1875 and 1160.
1160 relates to the ESP/Yew rate sensor in the center console. That sensor is wired directly to the CAB Control Anti-lock Brake. Check all connections and wiring for continuity. Basic resolution to the code is clear all codes, start car for a couple minutes; turn it off and check again for codes, if no codes then drive car and see if code returns. Code still there replace yew sensor.

1860 is Shift Lever Assembly SLA, CanBus problem between SLA and CAB
1875 is SLA Can C Bus between Transmission Control Module
That 1040 PCM CanBus code should be corrected before assuming a SLA problem. The 1040 code refers to the SLA CanBus connection to the PCM at connector C4 #1 and #11 ( those wires run through a connector at the TCM and a splice in the engine bay)
All codes point towards the SLA, but check that canbus at the PCM first.
With all the problems you are having with your car I suggest going to ebay and purchase a Crossfire Service Manual. It comes in three volumes and you need all three. It would be money well spent!

The following 2 users liked this post by zip439:
M60A3Driver (11-13-2023), mikemadeit94 (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: TPS & BAS ESP Issues