Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

UK 2005 Crossfire automatic no-start

Old 12-18-2023, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default UK 2005 Crossfire automatic no-start

Hi
I have a Crossfire here in the UK. Its been fine until yesterday when I drove it, parked up, came back to it a few hours later, key in, but no crank and no start.
All the lights on the dash come on and none go out as you would expect. The brake lights don't work and the gearshift is stuck in park. The shift position light on the dash is just a black square.

I have checked and resoldered all the joints on the RCM, I think thats all good. Checked and cleaned all the earth points around the engine bay. Checked the brake light switch which seems good. Now I am at a dead end as what to do next.....
Anybody got any advice please?

Thaks in advance

Old 12-18-2023, 04:20 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: UK 2005 Crossfire automatic no-start

It is not only the solder joints in the RCM that go bad but over time the relays become worn and pitted. That is why it is recommended to carry a spare and send the old one to DJ for rebuild.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
It is not only the solder joints in the RCM that go bad but over time the relays become worn and pitted. That is why it is recommended to carry a spare and send the old one to DJ for rebuild.
I pulled the relays apart and checked each contact and cleaned them up, they seemed fine. I did wonder whether the resistors are ok though?

Old 12-22-2023, 02:06 PM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Bob,
I just went through that issue, no crank, no start, black rectangle. In my case it turned out to be a bad splice in the CAN bus. (Usually, it's either the RCM or the SLA.) If you search for my post, you can see all of the diagnostic steps I performed with the resulting measured values and how I finally fixed it (had to bypass the splice). I give a lot of details which I won't repeat here, but you can ask me questions. Another post to search for is "Pulse module", and ECU problems by 1sweatride. Good Luck, sincerely
Jerry

Old 12-31-2023, 03:42 AM

@red_2005_convertible thanks for your reply, Thats very useful. I was at a loss with what to do as I am quite certain its not the RCM. I will read the threads and get back to you.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

The only relay that usually fails from bad contacts is the air pump relay. The other relays fail from bad coils.
Open the RCM, reinstall and turn the key to the ON position. The two relays shown should remain closed. Are they?
My guess is that the Traction relay isn't closing based on the symptoms.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
The only relay that usually fails from bad contacts is the air pump relay. The other relays fail from bad coils.
Open the RCM, reinstall and turn the key to the ON position. The two relays shown should remain closed. Are they?
My guess is that the Traction relay isn't closing based on the symptoms.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I have done as you suggested, and both relays are closing fine. I have checked the continuity on each relay, opened and closed and all seem fine. I have powered up each relay independently and they all work as they should. I really don't think the fault is with the RCM. But any other advoice onthe RCM or otherwise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-31-2023, 12:10 PM

Time for an update on this

First, the symptoms.
Both keys will lock and unlock the car remotely without problem, both keys would also start the car before the fault occured.
Once unlocked and door opened, the dash displays the mileage as it should, but the gear indicator is a black square rather than the usual 'P'.
Insert the key and turn the ignition on, all the dashboard lights illuminate, after 2 -3 seconds the airbag light will go out, all the other lights remain on. I can hear the fuel run of a couple of seconds.
Foot on brake does not release the gear shift from park as it should.
Turn the key to start, nothing happens, no clicking of a solenoid or anything, dashboard lights remain on.
Return the key to the on position for several minutes waiting for the fan to spin up but this doesn't happen either.

As I mentioned above I took the cover off the RCM and the two relays mentioned both operate as expected.

I have been trying to follow the advice given by @red_2005_convertible above but am struggling as I don't have wiring diagram and can't seem to find one.
I also read the 'pulse module' thread here which is a bit of a mess but @1sweetride seems to have similar issues but never returns to confirm if he fixed it or not.

Anyhow long story short if anyone can offer any advice I would be truely grateful and all ears!
Happy new year!

Old 12-31-2023, 03:44 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

farmerbob, Can you scan the car for diagnostic codes? It may well get you going in the right direction. Here is a post that sounds a lot like yours, he had no DTC codes and a new RCM fixed his problems. Your's is a little different but you should read this : No codes, cluster lights, RCM
If the SLA or transmission module is acting up you should get a DTC.

The following users liked this post:
farmerbob (01-01-2024)
Old 12-31-2023, 05:07 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

You could also try sending @1sweetride a PM?

The following users liked this post:
farmerbob (01-01-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by farmerbob
Time for an update on this

First, the symptoms.
Both keys will lock and unlock the car remotely without problem, both keys would also start the car before the fault occurred.
Once unlocked and door opened, the dash displays the mileage as it should, but the gear indicator is a black square rather than the usual 'P'.
Insert the key and turn the ignition on, all the dashboard lights illuminate, after 2 -3 seconds the airbag light will go out, all the other lights remain on. I can hear the fuel run of a couple of seconds.
Foot on brake does not release the gear shift from park as it should.
Turn the key to start, nothing happens, no clicking of a solenoid or anything, dashboard lights remain on.
Return the key to the on position for several minutes waiting for the fan to spin up but this doesn't happen either.

As I mentioned above I took the cover off the RCM and the two relays mentioned both operate as expected.

I have been trying to follow the advice given by @red_2005_convertible above but am struggling as I don't have wiring diagram and can't seem to find one.
I also read the 'pulse module' thread here which is a bit of a mess but @1sweetride seems to have similar issues but never returns to confirm if he fixed it or not.

Anyhow long story short if anyone can offer any advice I would be truely grateful and all ears!
Happy new year!
hi Bob,
here's a link to the downloadable technical manuals that have all of the wiring diagrams (ignore that it says SRT, the manual is for both)
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post111722
The main document is the service manual since it's searchable (the student version isn't).

1Sweetride continued his posts under ECM problems since it was determined that his probl
em wasn't related to the pulse module.
Does the black rectangle stay on after the key is turned to the on position? The Instrument cluster doesn't know what position the shift lever is in until the pcm (ECM) gets power, i.e., until the key is turned to the "on" position.
I had the same issue with the shifter not coming out of park - I just had to pump the brakes hard to get the brake light switch to respond (before I had figured that out, I removed the switch to test it, it was fine, I reinstalled it, made sure the alignment was good, pumped the brake harder, and the shift lever would now come out of park).
Your symptoms are very similar to mine. If you can measure the resistance of the CAN BUS, you'll find out very quickly if you have a CAN BUS issue. Once you download the service manual, you'll be able to figure out where all the connectors are, and what the pin numbers are. You just need to measure the resistance between pins 1 and 11 on the PCM C4 connector (if I remember correctly), and you should get 60 ohms +-3 ohms.
Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:51 AM

Ok time to apologise and wear the prat cap for a while. Problem solved.

I held down the traction control relay and got a freind to turn the key...... and the chuffin' thing started!
@tighed1 was correct all along. Well done and apologies once again.
Thanks to you for your patience.
Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by farmerbob:
exparamedic (01-02-2024), GraphiteGhost (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:08 PM

Congratulations. Thanks for keeping us updated.
-Jerry