TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Steering recall?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Steering recall?

My workout partner was asking me if I had received the 'Steering Recall' on my car.
Anybody heard anything about this, or is he completely wrong?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Steering recall?

there is a jam nut that can loosen causing the steering to feel sloppy. it's located near the steering gearbox

Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah, I've read that before.
Just wondering about a recall.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Exclamation Re: Steering recall?

Does anyone know if this was an official recall or TSB yet? I don't want to have to fight with carmax & my 30 day warranty over this haha. I am surely effected by it though...

Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 AM

the crossfire has no supprt anymore from Chrysler. it was built by Daimler Chrysler and they no longer exhist.

If you want to find any steering TSB's check the Mercedes Slk320 2000-2003 models.

the main problem areas with the steering is the pinch bolt on the steering shaft, and the wheel bearings loosen up over time, jack up the car and check if there is play on the wheels by pushing and pulling vertically. should only have .025-.050" slop, check with dial gauge. if sloppy tight wheel bearing collar.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular

any pictures on this issue and a howtoo

Old 07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
the crossfire has no supprt anymore from Chrysler. it was built by Daimler Chrysler and they no longer exhist.
I do not believe this is correct. Chrysler upped to the lifetime warranty on new 07 & 08 Crossfires.
But most important do not forget Daimler/Mercedes still owns 20% of Chrysler. MB still supplies parts for Chrysler cars...it was not a clean break.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM

Have you been to a dealership? they treat you like this car never exhisted. lol even warranteed parts get treated like wear parts and they try really hard to discurage the use of warrantees. Maybe some dealers are cool but not many, most are scum bags.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM

Have you been to a dealership? they treat you like this car never exhisted. lol even warranteed parts get treated like wear parts and they try really hard to discurage the use of warrantees. Maybe some dealers are cool but not many, most are scum bags.
Happily - My dealer has been great. Last visit they replaced headlights, fog lights, and door sill guards. No hassle, no questions, and were happy to do it.
When I picked up the car they told me they really liked the car and quite a few people stopped to look at it.
I hope it continues. I feel for those that have had poor experiences.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Smile Re: Steering recall?

RE: DEALERSHIPS, I just had my headlight assemblies replaced with no problems at all! I use Michael Stead Hilltop Chrysler in Richmond, CA they have been fantastic for everything I have ever needed for my Crossfire! P.S. While there today they replaced the steering nut! This is a great dealership for anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Hi,

I am just starting to get worried.

My wife has a 2005 roadster with 20,000 miles on the clock and the more you turn the wheel the more free play you have. With 50% lock in either direction I think we have about 1" (25mm) free play in the steering wheel when the engine is running, it's worrying. The steering does not knock, it does not pull to either side and while driving straight ahead it runs true with little play. Is this normal?

For the UK boys I recently watched a program on "Dave" and he had an old Merc on the program that had developed the similar symptoms. Ed China (the name of the mechanic) tried to tighten a nut? to take up free play but could not take out enough play before the steering became stiff. He ended up changing the steering box at a cost of £500, ouch.

I suspect the nut taking up the slack on my 2005 car has slackened off but I don't know where this is situated or if it's easy to adjust for a weekend mechanic.

One other avenue for me though, we bought the car used and from a Chrysler dealer who gave us one years warranty. This warranty runs out on the 16th Nov so we have a fair chance of getting this issue fixed although I have not looked at the small print so you never know.

Anyone else suffered a similar kind of issue?

Alan...........

Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Forum Regular

mine has some free play also when parked.. not too bad though i think this is common from what i understand

Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E74778
... the more you turn the wheel the more free play you have. With 50% lock in either direction I think we have about 1" (25mm) free play in the steering wheel when the engine is running...
This is normal. I've noticed the same on my car as well as TVT's car.
I think it has to do with the effective range of the steering damper.

Rememeber that these cars don't have rack and pinion steering.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a new steering dampner is in order? I have one in the garage to install when I get home. I have 24K on my Aero. I dont notice it being really loose. But I do like to be pro-active.

MikeR

Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM

It does not feel loose as such.

If I am sat at the lights with 50% lock on waiting for them to change I can move the steering wheel 1" without the wheels changing direction. It's weird.

Yes, it's the first non rack and pinion steering I have had on a car. I have never thought that this set-up gives as much feel and if the dead band is normal I am amazed.

Alan.......

Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular

any new info on the steering / recall issues

Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM

My dealership treats me like I bought a Mercedes. They push my car to the front of the line for service and warranty diagnosis and call me every day while it is there, waiting for a part or something.

I'm sad to hear other dealerships allow such poor customer service.