TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

I am a new member and I have been reading all the posts I can. You have done an incredible amount of work to prepare your post and I thank you very much.
Steve

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the red cover do? it looks like maybe inferred or maybe even a light? does anybody know?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eruby, the red translucent cover is there to give your remote a little better directional range for unlocking the doors. It doesn't light up, and there isn't an infra-red emitted there either. It works on radio frequencies, and the transmitter is right behind the red cover.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

I thought that the red had a led that lit up when you did some programming feature like global unlock. Please dont make me take that apart too.............Woody

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom2112
eruby, the red translucent cover is there to give your remote a little better directional range for unlocking the doors. It doesn't light up, and there isn't an infra-red emitted there either. It works on radio frequencies, and the transmitter is right behind the red cover.
thanks. i was just wondering. i didn't think it had anything to do with the rf transmitter because of the translucent part. thanks for letting know.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Just did this with a brand new key fob and my old beat up one.

Thanks for the super clear instructions, though I had a tough time..

I took apart and put apart the "new" key fob about 15 times to practice, and to make sure I didn't **** up my ONLY key..

When taking about my original key, there was an ENORMOUS amount of epoxy holding the two halves together. Ended up breaking one of the halves in half.. took about 45 minutes to get the other half off that was still epoxied on without damaging the circuit board..

Then.. get to my transponder.. it is epoxied on all 3 sides (left and right, and bottom).. definitely NOT a fun time getting this off.. used a flat head screwdriver.. got a few scratches but it still works perfect..

My new key's transponder was only epoxied on the bottom and was super easy to take off.. BTW.. both fobs had the white tray holding the transponder in place, and both still had epoxy.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:53 AM

Wow, excellent detailed writeup! I hope I don't have to go through most of that to just replace the battery which I need now.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Wow, excellent detailed writeup! I hope I don't have to go through most of that to just replace the battery which I need now.
Batteries are easy to replace. Just pop off the cover..

But, my fob is awesome now! It's brand new!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic work. Scared the crap outa me. I'll never touch the thing. Seriously, one of the best " how to" articles I've ever read. I wish the people who direct the manual writers would get back to photos and s**t can those G.D. diagrams (except of course, when a diagram is called for)

Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Tom2112,

Great Job!. Is there a PDF file available with all your comments and thumbnails included in one document?

Thanks,

Ben

Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 PM

I took the fob apart. The bad deal is that I broke the little white piece on the board. I circled the piece in red. What is it? and can I replace it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
21_sm.jpg (132.6 KB, 353 views)
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 AM

I feel for ya man, but I have no clue. The last thing I took apart is still apart.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Several members have said it, and I'm saying it again... awesome awesome write up!!!
Thank you... thank you...!

My key fob looks like crap and and the buttons where are cracking bad! I need to buy a key fob and perform this surgery!
-Az4R1

No problem fellas. I'm glad you liked it. To paraphrase the seatbelt folks: "If one fob was saved, it was all worth it."

Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Looks like they're going for about $43 each on ebay. Just search for Crossfire Key and you'll see them.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 AM

How to take apart a Crossfire key fob,
without destroying it,
or making it look like your dog chewed it up:

First, it’s a good idea to know a few facts about the Crossfire key fob.
  1. The fob is a transmitter, transponder, and physical key, all wrapped up in one.
  2. The transmitter is used to lock/unlock the doors/trunk of the car remotely. It can also be used to set off the “panic” mode of the car.
  3. A NEW fob’s transmitter can easily be programmed to work with your car.
  4. A USED fob’s transmitter from another car can NOT be programmed to work with your car. (at least, I can’t get it to work)
  5. When you put your key into the ignition, the fob’s transponder responds to your car’s ignition and replies with a special code, keeping your ignition’s kill switch from activating. (In other words, it allows you to start your car!)
  6. Any fob’s transponder can NOT be reprogrammed to work with your car. (That is, not without VERY expensive equipment, rumored to be possessed by some dealerships. See PDF attached below.)
  7. A transponder chip from YOUR car’s fob can be transplanted into another fob, and that fob will start your car, as long as you transplant your physical key along with it.
  8. The physical key can be removed from a fob and placed in another fob. The physical key will always turn your car’s ignition and door locks, but without the correct transponder, your car will not start.
  9. The ONLY fob that is guaranteed to work with your car is one that came with the car, and one that is ordered through your Chrysler dealer. New fobs cost about $130 – list price.
  10. Another type of key is available, called a “flat key”. A flat key will physically unlock your car’s doors and will also start your car. But it is not a remote. They list price for about $60 from your Chrysler dealer.
What does all of that mean? The BIGGEST thing it means is that buying fobs off of eBay is a waste of money unless: your fob was damaged, and you’d like to put a spiffy new plastic case on your fob. That is what this thread is about: how to transfer your old fob’s guts to a new fob.

To transfer the guts of your fob to a new one, you have to be able to open up your fob without breaking the circuit board inside, and the transponder chip inside. Also it is important that you not damage the “new” fob’s case, or your work will be for naught.

The first thing you’ll want to do is grab a knife or a screwdriver and pry the case apart. DON’T! That’s not very effective, and also tears up the plastic of your case, defeating the purpose of replacing it.

The key to getting the case open without mangling it is a nifty little tool, called a snap ring plier. The interesting thing about these pliers is that they have narrow tips and when squeezed, the “jaws” open, rather than close. You can get a set of these pliers at any hardware store. As of 03/07/08, Harbor Freight has them on sale for $1.99. See this link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3316
This info for DTinker,
Dave found this post but not quite sure it is the one I remember. MAY be of some help to you.
TerryR

Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks Terry,

I kind of remember seeing this or one that was similar about 6mos ago as I was searching around the forum site.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by dtinker
Thanks Terry,

I kind of remember seeing this or one that was similar about 6mos ago as I was searching around the forum site.
I think there was also a similar post, but this one included pictures and a step by step process, BUT if I remember rightly, did not recommend undertaking this task unless you could do without the key if you messed up.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dtinker
Thanks Terry,

Dave,

I just found the post I remembered seeing, kindly translated from German by Tazz. See if it is of any use to you.

TerryR

Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular

This is a great post. My FOB works fine but is broken from being dropped and the buttons are all cracked. The panic button actually lost the "pusher" under the plastic so it's not even useable anymore.

Ok, since this has been a couple years since this post and I can't seem to find any on ebay. I did find this one for MB:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
It looks like it does not have the red lens on the front. Does anybody know a specific MB model that uses the exact same FOB? Where can I get a replacement plastic case?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

did you put"""" chrysler crossfire key fob """ in your serch on e bay cause i found two there

2004-2006 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE KEYLESS REMOTE FOB KR 55 | eBay

2004-2006 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE KEYLESS REMOTE FOB KR 55 | eBay good luck. and this one is the shell only

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-04...item53ea9fff05 jim

Last edited by amx1397; 01-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!