TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!

Ah yes, Needswings, I had one for a different car a year ago, that was just over £300, not too bad; I see now he has put the price up to $799 - with the shipping to the UK this is actually more than a rusty 2003 car is worth

Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 AM

This is cheaper than a new key - and you could probably sell it on (or return it )
https://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/i...product_id=938

Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by getaway
This is cheaper than a new key - and you could probably sell it on (or return it )
https://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/i...product_id=938
You can buy one for $28 here, we are waiting to see if it works though.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmmmmm!!! think I will carry mine in a case.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bob54
mmmmmm!!! think I will carry mine in a case.
There is an accessory you can buy to prevent you from losing that expensive key, it is similar to what people who carry cases filled with money, diamonds etc use. One end locks to the fob and the other locks to your wrist with a handcuff.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought one off ebay with no guts - tranferred everything to the new plastic case, assembled and all good EXCEPT the key will not stay in the closed porsition. I am guessing that the case i bought wasn't quite right...had to modify it slightly to allow the original key proper movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HazMatt
Bought one off ebay with no guts - tranferred everything to the new plastic case, assembled and all good EXCEPT the key will not stay in the closed porsition. I am guessing that the case i bought wasn't quite right...had to modify it slightly to allow the original key proper movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
first time I put mine together the key would not stay down either. I pulled it apart and re inserted the key and spring and it fit together better and now it locks down as it should.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:53 PM

did u preload the spring by turning it counter clockwise 1/2 to a full turn

Old 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM

I've tried it numerous times and just gave up. Inspecting both Fob cases I can't seem to find anything different between the two. They are identical. I'm trying to put the old key in the new fob case. Apparently the slug that came with the case is not an identical match to the original key that came with the car. I did have the slug cut but it would not work in the car, I guess they didn't do a good job. Very frustrating.
Originally Posted by Tom3120
first time I put mine together the key would not stay down either. I pulled it apart and re inserted the key and spring and it fit together better and now it locks down as it should.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM

I've tried it numerous times and just gave up. Inspecting both Fob cases I can't seem to find anything different between the two. They are identical. I'm trying to put the old key in the new fob case. Apparently the slug that came with the case is not an identical match to the original key that came with the car. I did have the slug cut but it would not work in the car, I guess they didn't do a good job. Very frustrating.
mine was the same way , i could close the key then whhile it was closed barely push the top/side of key and it would stay closed. That was with having the original key not the new key that came with fob. Had the key cut that came with fob and no problems. Local lock shop cut the key while in the fob for $20

Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM

You did transfer the little chip from the old case to the new fob case ?

Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You did transfer the little chip from the old case to the new fob case ?
he would of had to being he said all was good except key wont stay closed

Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Moore2575
he would of had to being he said all was good except key wont stay closed
Seems to me this fob has been taken apart a few times and the chip could have dropped out of position.
The newly cut blank does not work, because it does not turn or because the chip has been lost.
I like to hear that the engine runs. I like the facts not assumptions..

Old 04-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When I transferred the guts to my new key fob all when very smooth. I put it all together then went out to the garage to "test" it. I just pushed the lock/unlock button and it all worked good so I went back into the house. I was picking up the old key fob parts to save them in a plastic bag and...OMG...there was the small black chip. How did I miss that! Took fob apart..installed chip...life is good. WHEW !!!!

Old 04-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, IF a Crossfire owner had ONE good Fob/key, and wanted to have a second "key" that works, COULD they take the metal key off the ONE they have, place/attach the good fob with transducer chip near the ignition switch "halo" , then have another metal key made by a good locksmith, and use the metal keys to start the car, with everything ok as normal ??

And if so, where is best place to "attach the good fob ?
Thanks,-Saul

Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Saul Klein
So, IF a Crossfire owner had ONE good Fob/key, and wanted to have a second "key" that works, COULD they take the metal key off the ONE they have, place/attach the good fob with transducer chip near the ignition switch "halo" , then have another metal key made by a good locksmith, and use the metal keys to start the car, with everything ok as normal ??

And if so, where is best place to "attach the good fob ?
Thanks,-Saul
Yes, you can remove the transponder chip and secure it out of sight very close to the key ring antenna.
BUT !
If you do this, make sure you don't then get any other fob with a chip close.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yes, you can remove the transponder chip and secure it out of sight very close to the key ring antenna.
BUT !
If you do this, make sure you don't then get any other fob with a chip close.
just curious what would happen if another keyfob was close? Just a no start or other problems

Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Personally I wouldn't bother attempting this - I managed to damage the transponder rendering the key useless. Fortunately it didn't matter as the car ended up being scrapped, but at $800 for a replacement key, that's too much of a risk for me on my others

Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by getaway
Personally I wouldn't bother attempting this - I managed to damage the transponder rendering the key useless. Fortunately it didn't matter as the car ended up being scrapped, but at $800 for a replacement key, that's too much of a risk for me on my others
its very easy just have to use common sense

Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moore2575
its very easy just have to use common sense
I have plenty of common sense. Having common sense does not render you incapable of making a mistake or slipping with a tool, on the contrary, common sense makes you aware such things can happen to anybody, and as such my common sense tells me it's not worth messing with something that is very easy to break, that costs over $800 and may well not be available soon at any price:
NeedsWings Performance Products. Key OEM Replacement non-USA or Canada

Quick Reply: How to take apart a key fob without destroying it!