TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO

Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO

To all members:

I did my due diligence and searched the forums before posting this and the only threads that I could find on how to replace the cupholder became very off topic and didn't give very clear instructions.

So below, here are what I would consider to be detailed instructions for anyone looking to replace the cupholder or access the console.

Tools:

Flat head screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
T10 TORX screwdriver
Socket tool (and appropriate socket size)

--------------

1. Gently lift up the shift panel by sliding a flat head screwdriver just below the silver trim closest to the mirror control and it will lift up. It is very durable and won't break from this. I personally only lifted it from the part near the mirror control and left the clips near the coin holder/ cigarette lighter attached.

2. Under the trim are 2 phillips head screws that will need to be removed.

3. Remove the rubber cover from the shift lever. This is the hardest part, but don't worry. Many people on the forum suggest using dishwasher soap. That's good and well, but I didn't like the sticky residue that was left, so I saturated the inside of it with some WD-40 in it and it came right off. Wipe off the excess oil off the metal lever.

4. Open the storage bin in the middle console and pull the carpet from the furthest point of the rear about 2 inches up and it will expose 2 lugs that you will need to remove. Do so using the socket tool and appropriate attachment. I apologize for not paying attention to the size.

5. Lift the entire center console up over the shift lever to expose that the mirror control's wires are connected to the vehicle. There are 4 small tabs around the housing of the wires. Use the flat head screwdriver to gently lift them up (they will snap securely when you re-attach it).

6. Flip the console over on a towel or soft area to remove 4 T10 TORX screws that are holding the cupholder in place. This will remove the cupholder which you can keep or sell on eBay (mine is for going on eBay today if anyone wants it).

7. Leave the slot empty until you are done reassembling the entire console back in your car. I found it much easier to have that opening for leverage and to hold by.

8. Reconnect the mirror wiring.

9. Get the metal lever around the rubber opening on the emergency brake and work the console back into place from here. If you don't remove the entire shift trim, then I would suggest having a friend hold the trim up while you get the console back in place.

10. Put the lugs back in the storage bin console. Put the screws back in near the shifter.

11. The 2nd hardest part. Getting the rubber piece from the shift lever back around the metal lever. Again. Saturate the inside of the rubber piece with WD-40 and it will slide on relatively easily.

12. Lift the emergency lever up as high as you humanly can and place a rag around the base of it. All of the WD-40 will slide out the end and catch on the rag.

13. Finally, the new storage bin in replace of the cupholder can slide right into the opening and it will click into place about 90% of the way in.

I personally much prefer the bin to the cupholder already. The cupholder (even when working properly) had such a flawed design that was prone to breaking or spilling. I will never forget borrowing my managers Crossfire and going to Chick-Fil-A to get a #1 combo with a sweet tea. Put it in the cupholder and about 30 seconds later the cup broke out of the holder and sweet tea everywhere in his new crossfire.

The bin is only large enough to hold a cell phone and possibly a wallet. My Blackberry Pearl and Wallet fight for space.

I hope this write-up helps out a little more that the others and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Default Re: Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO

Bump - Maybe someone can update this thread with the size socket tool needed for the lugs in the console. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice procedure! Here is the original thread from danimal on how to replace the cup holder we all originally used but I like the detail of your post. I would recommend highlighting the part about lubricating the rubber e-brake grip in order to remove it, I spent 15 minutes trying to get it off until I went back and reread the post and saw where he used dish soap. Don't quote me but I was thinking I used a 12 mm socket to remove the two nuts.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 PM

I want to say thanks for this walk through. I did this today to my Xfire and it is a vast improvement.

Cheers!
Publio

Old 10-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Where can you buy the bin? dealer? part number?

Thanks, James

Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM

The part number for the storage cup is 1BQ12XDVAA. A couple of good places to order parts (that I have found to be reliable) are http://www.newmoparparts.com/ and http://www.moparpart.com/ with both of them giving discounts on parts and accessories.

this is what I got from the other thread....I used the moparpart.com but I called them. the bin was a little pricey for such a small plastic piece but it looks real good and the wife likes it more than the cupholder.

Publio

Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM

I just replaced my cup holder with the $38 bin. I followed the directions above that helped but there are few things that can be confusing and need corrected.

The most confusuing part is that most places in the instructions that are referred to as a shift lever is the parking brake lever. I never had to mess with my auto-shift lever at all. Standard shift different?

The rubber handle on the park brake lever slid off with some effort but nothing extra was needed to remove or reinstall.

If you lay a towel or blanket on the passenger seat area, there is no need to disconnect the mirror switch wire harness. The console will lay on the blanket with no trouble.

The two nuts in the console storage area use a 10mm socket.

I really did appreciate the help the instructions gave, just needed some clarifications.

Thanks, James

Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I just replaced my cup holder with the $38 bin. I followed the directions above that helped but there are few things that can be confusing and need corrected.

The most confusuing part is that most places in the instructions that are referred to as a shift lever is the parking brake lever. I never had to mess with my auto-shift lever at all. Standard shift different?

The rubber handle on the park brake lever slid off with some effort but nothing extra was needed to remove or reinstall.

If you lay a towel or blanket on the passenger seat area, there is no need to disconnect the mirror switch wire harness. The console will lay on the blanket with no trouble.

The two nuts in the console storage area use a 10mm socket.

I really did appreciate the help the instructions gave, just needed some clarifications.

Thanks, James
Also if you have a roadster there is an air line for the lock on the console door which will not let you lift the console very high. I removed mine and couldn't figure out how to disconect the air line without breaking it. Maybe someone can shed some light on how to remove this air line.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

$38 for the bin!?!?!?
I'll keep the worthless cup holder!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Fink, (Patrick?)
Air line? Where would the air pressure come from to make that work?

Tighed, Some things you can't put a price on. Besides, I sold the cup holder and nearly got all my money back. If its worthless, why have it. So there...

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Air line? Where would the air pressure come from to make that work?
The same place it comes from to lock your doors and rear hatch.........it's all pneumatic.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Fink, (Patrick?)
Air line? Where would the air pressure come from to make that work

Its got to be hooked up with the pneumatic door locks because its actuated when you lock the doors but its not actuated when the doors auto lock because of the cars being in motion.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM

I installed mine today. Everyone here is AWESOME for providing detailed instructions. I didn't find any need to use any lubricant on the parking brake handle...just pulled and twisted and it came right off. I was also able to lay the console on the passenger seat on a towel without having to remove the mirror wiring.

Overall, I am very happy with it, especially now that I have someplace legit to put my cell phone instead of wedging it along the parking brake!

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SkineeMinee
The bin is only large enough to hold a cell phone and possibly a wallet. My Blackberry Pearl and Wallet fight for space.
Having lived in Germany for many years, I found that they really wonder why Americans need cup holders while they're driving. OTH, they do smoke quite a bit. My guess is that the bin is where you put your cigarette pack.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks to all of you who were kind enough to give us these tips.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Thanks, again.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the GREAT step-by-step instructions !!
I just completed my Storage Bin installation in about an hour. After having my Crossfire for for only FIVE WEEKS, the dang cup-holder had to GO!

BTW, if anyone wants my cupholder (although, I can't imagine WHY), I'll send it to the one that makes me the best offer that includes enough to ship it to you. If it would've stayed in my car another week or two, it would have been mangled. But it is in fine shape,,,, complete with the four torx screws.

Thanks again, guys!!
Steve

Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Does anyone have pictures of the storage bin?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jesda
Does anyone have pictures of the storage bin?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

How deep is it?

Quick Reply: Replacing Cupholder with Storage Bin / HOW TO