TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Originally Posted by wemull@hotmail.com
I really feel like a dummy. Been chasing P0410 for 2 or 3 months, replaced solenoid, replaced air pump, checked relay contacts. Problem found ---- Fuse 2 on RCM blown.
Thanks for all the tips and fixes guys & gals.
At least you found it, that is good news.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd been haunted by P0410 engine-light errors since I bought my Cross used 3 years ago. Thank you for the tips/guide information. I pulled the board, saw corrosion on the suspected contacts, cleaned the contacts and BOOM; fixed! Who knows what rabbit holes a paid professional would have headed down (IME allot)..

Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by poppapig
I'd been haunted by P0410 engine-light errors since I bought my Cross used 3 years ago. Thank you for the tips/guide information. I pulled the board, saw corrosion on the suspected contacts, cleaned the contacts and BOOM; fixed! Who knows what rabbit holes a paid professional would have headed down (IME allot)..
Chances are you will have the code return, once the contacts are burnt they are never the same again. Get a replacement relay or RCM ready for when it does.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:23 AM

On my 2004 Crossfire, I experienced the fault code P0410 many months ago but because the car has been sounding and running fine, I have ignored the "check engine" light, assuming my dealership would soak me. Now, however, I need to sell the car because of health reasons requiring a lot of out of town travel and the Crossfire's poor reliability on snowy and icy roads here in Colorado. With the car running fine, anyone have any best guess just what may be wrong? And what should I expect the cost to be at the dealership?
Thanks,
Tony

Old 10-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I suggest you locate a good Independent repair shop that specializes in Mercedes Benz vehicles. Don't know about your location, but the local Chrysler dealer doesn't have anyone on staff that knows much about the Crossfire and the local MB dealer isn't enthusiastic about working on it either.
I found a good shop that had all the latest diagnostic tools and was very knowledgeable of the electronic systems and the particular quirks of the Crossfire.
There is some very good tips in this thread.
Lastly, when buying parts, check MB sources. I find them to be much less expensive than Chrysler. Ebay is a great source.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Palmer
On my 2004 Crossfire, I experienced the fault code P0410 many months ago but because the car has been sounding and running fine, I have ignored the "check engine" light, assuming my dealership would soak me. Now, however, I need to sell the car because of health reasons requiring a lot of out of town travel and the Crossfire's poor reliability on snowy and icy roads here in Colorado. With the car running fine, anyone have any best guess just what may be wrong? And what should I expect the cost to be at the dealership?
Thanks,
Tony

Avoid the dealer.

Resolder the RCM.

Clean the relay contacts in the RCM.

Retighten the ground lead at the air pump.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him

Avoid the dealer.

Resolder the RCM.

Clean the relay contacts in the RCM.

Retighten the ground lead at the air pump.
Or replace the air pump relay in the RCM ( JUST got done doing one 30 minutes ago )

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Alright, I will pull it out again once this Florida rain lets up and check it out. Still weird that the engine light went back and has not come back yet.
Just pulled my rcm apart as I'll be smog testing soon and my 05 relay points were black cleaned up and will reset codes by drive In the morning♡

Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Two weeks ago I replaced the little blue check valve referred to in several of the past posts. I purchased it at the local MB dealer which was a pain because they said that they couldn't cross reference part numbers. Finally he found the right part due to numerous part number changes. Anyway after a 2400 mile run to Mobile, Al. then to Fayetteville, NC. and the back to Ind. No mil light problem, possible cured for 23 bucks and 5 minutes time. Oh the light came on one time right after I started it the first time but after a quick reset all was well. I believe that this is the new MB part # A 002 140 84 60. And I was getting about 29 mpg overall running on the interstate 73 -74 mph when speed limit was 70.
Question. If I fixed the relay and had a stored code it would just come back unless I erased with an obd2? I cleaned dirty relay pins and other than unhook in battery did not clear codes. Bought an obd today and had two p0410 codes that I cleared. Was it because of it being stored that I caught the light again or am I still hunting the problem down..

Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tropixcale
Question. If I fixed the relay and had a stored code it would just come back unless I erased with an obd2? I cleaned dirty relay pins and other than unhook in battery did not clear codes. Bought an obd today and had two p0410 codes that I cleared. Was it because of it being stored that I caught the light again or am I still hunting the problem down..
After my RCM fix I cleared the codes with a code reader and it has never come back, maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM

After my RCM fix I cleared the codes with a code reader and it has never come back, maybe 6 or 7 years ago.
Just praying that me not clearing the code is the reason I got it again. I originally had it for months but didn't repair. Until last week so I'm certain it was a stored code. Hoping I don't have to buy a new pump as I move to denver this week and cash is tight but emissions is required

Old 01-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just praying that me not clearing the code is the reason I got it again. I originally had it for months but didn't repair. Until last week so I'm certain it was a stored code. Hoping I don't have to buy a new pump as I move to denver this week and cash is tight but emissions is required
Im not a mechanic but I cant recall anyone here having to replace the pump, I more than likely didn't have to replace the check valve but I was new and didn't know that at the time.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM

Im not a mechanic but I cant recall anyone here having to replace the pump, I more than likely didn't have to replace the check valve but I was new and didn't know that at the time.
WellI've cleaned relay pin. I have repaired rcm and check valve wasn't stuck shut hoping it was just me not clearing with obd. Fingers crossed

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Somebody replaced a pump in the last 6 months. There is a thread on how to repair the pump but it is not for the faint of heart. If the pump runs all the time it can get worn out pretty quickly.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:41 PM

Just pulled my rcm apart as I'll be smog testing soon and my 05 relay points were black cleaned up and will reset codes by drive In the morning♡
If the contacts are burnt then they have been damaged and will get burnt again. The contacts are domed and highly polished this is so the spark does not get to attack a rough spot.
Remember the points in the old cars? They were better being replaced than filed clean, you could do a real professional job on them with a special tool but it was easier to replace them.
It is possible to replace the relay itself if you are adept at soldering. It is cheaper to do this than replace the RCM. Tighed1 does this little soldering job for a nominal fee.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:58 AM

Hi everyone......,
i'm new here.....
and i have a same problem with my pug407.....
P0140 - Injection of air to exhaust malfunction

Old 01-13-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by khai407
Hi everyone......,
i'm new here.....
and i have a same problem with my pug407.....
P0140 - Injection of air to exhaust malfunction
Welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot here and save your self a lot of money and that is a good thing.
So you are in Malaysia? I do not expect many Crossfires over there if you are. In that case you have come to the right place.
If you do not have pollution checks on your cars there you can disable the pump. If you need the pump the solutions are here.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot here and save your self a lot of money and that is a good thing.
So you are in Malaysia? I do not expect many Crossfires over there if you are. In that case you have come to the right place.
If you do not have pollution checks on your cars there you can disable the pump. If you need the pump the solutions are here.
oh tq......
actually, you are right......not many crossfires in malaysia and i never see that car in malaysia.......i only owned Peugeot and if u ask me why i was in this forum...it is because i have the same problem with the code 0410......so, i can get some information here......tqvm

Old 01-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, if it's helpful, the main cause of the P0410 on the Crossfire ( Mercedes R170 platform ) is burnt contacts in the air pump relay located in the RCM ( K40 ) module.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Help please? 2004 Xfr with manual trans and 53,000 miles. Car runs FINE - no starting, performance or mpg issues whatsoever

Had the P0410 codes 2 years ago (Jan 2014), pulled & checked RCM (a-ok), air pump worked fine, replaced the small blue check valve and was all good until Dec 2015 and code reappeared.

Air pump is working properly (on when cold then shuts off) and RCM, ground wire & blue check valve all good. Took Xfr to a local MBZ shop I know for years and after two days they recommend replacing the two upstream o2 sensors ($676) as they may be "lazy".

Anybody ever heard about this as a P0410 issue? Checked online found the Bosch 16167 o2 sensors at $67 each plus cost of a special socket for removal/installation.

Amazon.com: Bosch 16167 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 16167 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

TEKTON 4929 3/8-Inch Drive by 7/8-Inch Oxygen Sensor Socket - - Amazon.com TEKTON 4929 3/8-Inch Drive by 7/8-Inch Oxygen Sensor Socket - - Amazon.com

The problem is the car rego is due now (got a 60 day extension) but having read all the threads (secondary valves, carbon build up in intake tubes, etc.) I fear I'm headed down a rabbit hole now.

Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?